Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:15 AM

414 posts, read 296,280 times

Advertisements

I have a subscription to the Experian monitoring service, where you can log in and check the status of all of your debt accounts, FICO score, and so on. Every time I call to cancel, they give a steep discount to keep me on as a subscriber, so I find it helpful to monitor the FICO for a few bucks per month (for the time being). The odd thing is the wide range of FICO scores between the 3 companies. The Experian information is correct, including one charge that went into collections about a year ago (a $200 fee for an eye exam that I must have missed when initially billed by mail). I settled the debt as soon as the collection agent contacted me and that was that, but too late to avoid the ding on the report. I'm not sure if something can be done about that, as it is dragging down the score by some amount according to the secret formula. I guess my first question is how long does such a thing penalize you after the debt has been settled in full? It has been almost 12 months now. But here is the odd thing...One of my credit cards includes a free FICO as part of membership. They use TransUnion as their FICO source. The score they reflect is a full 65 points higher than the Experian FICO. I checked it over several months to see if that was an aberration, but no change. I would have assumed all of the credit bureaus would be in the same rough range, not that far apart (I have not paid the third to see their score), since they all presumably calculate using the same inputs. Is this normal? As I understand it, the one free annual report from each company does not include the FICO. Edit: Is credit karma really free, or is there a gotcha in there somewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 03:33 PM

8,414 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Which credit card is it? There are different FICO score ranges. You might be comparing one score that tops out at 850 to one that tops out at 900 or 950.

Another possibility is that the collection is not being reported to Transunion. It happens.

As far as how long to expect the collection to appear on your report, 7.6 years. It will effect your score less and less as it gets older though. There are ways to get rid of it, go to creditboards.com to find out.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Which credit card is it? There are different FICO score ranges. You might be comparing one score that tops out at 850 to one that tops out at 900 or 950.

Another possibility is that the collection is not being reported to Transunion. It happens.

As far as how long to expect the collection to appear on your report, 7.6 years. It will effect your score less and less as it gets older though. There are ways to get rid of it, go to creditboards.com to find out.
Thanks, it is Discover IT. I'll check out the creditboards.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:12 PM

8,414 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion99 View Post
Thanks, it is Discover IT. I'll check out the creditboards.
Discover provides a real FICO'08 based in Transunion data that ranges between 350 and 850 so you're good there.

Not sure which Experian service you are using, but they generally give a Plus Score which is a FAKO. In no way comparable to the Discover score.
https://www.experiandirect.com/tripl...w_c_sem_24_684

Old 06-07-2015, 07:39 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
I have a subscription to the Experian monitoring service, where you can log in and check the status of all of your debt accounts, FICO score, and so on. Every time I call to cancel, they give a steep discount to keep me on as a subscriber, so I find it helpful to monitor the FICO for a few bucks per month (for the time being). The odd thing is the wide range of FICO scores between the 3 companies. The Experian information is correct, including one charge that went into collections about a year ago (a $200 fee for an eye exam that I must have missed when initially billed by mail). I settled the debt as soon as the collection agent contacted me and that was that, but too late to avoid the ding on the report. I'm not sure if something can be done about that, as it is dragging down the score by some amount according to the secret formula. I guess my first question is how long does such a thing penalize you after the debt has been settled in full? It has been almost 12 months now. But here is the odd thing...One of my credit cards includes a free FICO as part of membership. They use TransUnion as their FICO source. The score they reflect is a full 65 points higher than the Experian FICO. I checked it over several months to see if that was an aberration, but no change. I would have assumed all of the credit bureaus would be in the same rough range, not that far apart (I have not paid the third to see their score), since they all presumably calculate using the same inputs. Is this normal? As I understand it, the one free annual report from each company does not include the FICO. Edit: Is credit karma really free, or is there a gotcha in there somewhere?
FICO is it's own company, there is no such thing as an Experian FICO score. Experian may come up with a credit score based on the same system, but it is not FICO and IMO is worthless. I can check my FICO free with my Discover CashBack and my Walmart Discover cards (you can with ALL Discover cards).

Old 06-07-2015, 02:54 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
FICO is it's own company, there is no such thing as an Experian FICO score. Experian may come up with a credit score based on the same system, but it is not FICO and IMO is worthless. I can check my FICO free with my Discover CashBack and my Walmart Discover cards (you can with ALL Discover cards).

An Experian FICO score is a FICO score based on Experian data. You purchase it from FICO.

What Experian gives you is an Experian FAKO, a FAKO score based on Experian data.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:12 PM

What I'd like is to have access to what lenders actually see. I'd pay a bit for it if that is offered. I had no idea that Experian was feeding me a FAKO - is that really Fake-o?

Old 06-08-2015, 10:14 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,255,451 times
Sounds like you don't even know what a FICO score is. Unlike what you may think, FICO scores and credit scores are not synonyms.

There are many credit risk estimating companies out there that come up with their own algorithms to calculate consumer credit risk. The most well-known among them is FICO. A credit score calculated using FICO's algorithm is a FICO credit score. FICO credit scores are the most widely used by lenders in assessing risk profiles. FICO over time has updated their scoring algorithm, and each time they make a revamp to it, they have a new scoring model. In addition, each FICO scoring model applied on each credit bureau's data results in a FICO score. To make it even more confusing, each type of credit product uses a slightly modified FICO scoring model to put heavier emphasis on the specific product. So each consumer has multiple FICO scores. FICO scores are also time-specific; your score today may differ from your score tomorrow if your credit profile gets updated in the next 24 hours. In short, a FICO score depends on:

1. The credit bureau
2. The specific FICO scoring model
3. The specific credit product (credit cards, mortgage, etc)
4. The specific point in time

And that's why you may see your FICO scores varying wildly. I've had 50+ points differences at 2 points in time that are very close.

To identify a FICO score, as a rule of thumb, whenever you see a credit score that doesn't contain FICO in the name, it is not a FICO score. Non-FICO scores are often free and just irrelevant.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:37 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quote:
Edit: Is credit karma really free, or is there a gotcha in there somewhere?
FYI - Yes Credit Karma is really free however the score they give you is based on their own calculation and is not a score that would be used if you were to go buy a home or car. So the score is basically worthless. The score you want is the FICO score as others mentioned. You would need to pay for it somehow, unless you have a credit card which supplies it (which isn't free for most people who carry a balance).

Old 06-08-2015, 07:23 PM

So there is no one place I can obtain my score prior to buying a car, regardless of paying for it (FICO, I mean). Say I apply for a lease or finance deal with ACME motors, ACME may pull from one or more of half a dozen sources, is that about right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance