Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 06:40 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
My father works and lives in Texas while i am a student in New Mexico.

We would like to set a joint account in order for him to be able to help me out with college expenses.

We are both members of local ceedit unions in our cities.

We are planning on using a national bank to set ip an account.

Do we both need to be present to open such account.

What is the process? Thank You
What am I missing here?
Why do you think you need a "joint account"?
The only thing a "joint account" will do is allow either of you to write checks or make ATM withdrawals on the account.
If your father wants to deposit money in your account, he can do so at any branch of the bank or credit union. In fact, ANYBODY can make deposits to ANY account, anywhere, anytime, if they have the account number. Your father could even make an electronic transfer from his account to your account, even if the accounts are at different institutions!
IMO, you and your father need to go talk to your local banker and find out what your options are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 06:41 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I said "personally" I do not care what others do, it is their choice hence the reason I said "personally"......

Since it is obviously my choice to not do that and I stated it is my choice why in the world are you questioning my choice for my life and trying to "correct" me?
Do you really know what is oh so much better in someone else's life than they know themselves?

Edited to add: Everything that has been suggested by others in regards to copies of ID Documents, doing things online, making a phone call does not happen at the bank we use.
Any changes have to be done in person, inside the bank because they do not allow "electronic" signatures. It is protects them as well as us since we all know each other and they do still check our ID because it is policy.

I'm not correcting you. But your banks policy is silly. Have fun having to go into your bank to get anything done

Old 06-11-2015, 07:17 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
My father works and lives in Texas while i am a student in New Mexico.

We would like to set a joint account in order for him to be able to help me out with college expenses.

We are both members of local ceedit unions in our cities.

We are planning on using a national bank to set ip an account.

Do we both need to be present to open such account.

What is the process? Thank You
No - you do not need to be present.

I bank with USAA - they have maybe 3 physical locations in the United States. Everything is done on-line.

They just need basic info which would include SS numbers.

And as someone else mentioned, he can just transfer money to your account online - no need for the joint account information.

I have several different banks and move things around all the time - which includes funds from another person.

He could also just give you a debit or credit card from his bank.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:28 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
No - you do not need to be present.

I bank with USAA - they have maybe 3 physical locations in the United States. Everything is done on-line.

They just need basic info which would include SS numbers.

And as someone else mentioned, he can just transfer money to your account online - no need for the joint account information.

I have several different banks and move things around all the time - which includes funds from another person.

He could also just give you a debit or credit card from his bank.

Your points are valid but usaa has 20+ financial centers across the US

Old 06-11-2015, 01:12 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times
I got it guys.

Chill out

Old 06-11-2015, 02:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I said "personally" I do not care what others do, it is their choice hence the reason I said "personally"......

Since it is obviously my choice to not do that and I stated it is my choice why in the world are you questioning my choice for my life and trying to "correct" me?
Do you really know what is oh so much better in someone else's life than they know themselves?

Edited to add: Everything that has been suggested by others in regards to copies of ID Documents, doing things online, making a phone call does not happen at the bank we use.
Any changes have to be done in person, inside the bank because they do not allow "electronic" signatures. It is protects them as well as us since we all know each other and they do still check our ID because it is policy.
Go find another bank down the street, go in an tell them what you want to do. I bet they'll find a way to accommodate you. No electronic signature is needed, your jointer can sign all the papers and submit then along with a copy (notarized if necessary) of his photo ID.

Or try to set up a joint account with one of the online banks like Ally. They do everything without physical presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance