U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 12:50 PM

51 posts, read 39,854 times

Advertisements

It seems like there are more pros than cons when you are single vs being married as far as financial beings. Many of my co workers who are married keep telling how lucky I am being single because when married there are more expenses because you have to consider the person with you. One thing it is helpful when you own a home and there are repairs to the house that a single person should have cash on hand and be able to afford the repairs whereas married you are on a tight budget. But having 2 incomes doesn't necessarily solve the issue sometimes because when married and two incomes there are 2 people meaning more bills right????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 12:57 PM

31,753 posts, read 20,035,771 times
My husband and I have found being married financially advantageous to both of us.

What he lacked, I had, and vice versa.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-16-2015, 01:00 PM

18,958 posts, read 9,665,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout marks View Post
It seems like there are more pros than cons when you are single vs being married as far as financial beings. Many of my co workers who are married keep telling how lucky I am being single because when married there are more expenses because you have to consider the person with you. One thing it is helpful when you own a home and there are repairs to the house that a single person should have cash on hand and be able to afford the repairs whereas married you are on a tight budget. But having 2 incomes doesn't necessarily solve the issue sometimes because when married and two incomes there are 2 people meaning more bills right????
If both of you make equal amount or more money, you would be better off.

If your spouse makes nothing, you would be worse off.

It also comes down to spending habit. If your spouse spends more, you would be worse off.

9,071 posts, read 15,062,085 times
All else being equal (same home, same lifestyle, etc), and both parties are employed, it is more financially beneficial to be married than single.

As I said there could be advantages but always remember being married means more bills. You obviously are not going to be eating the same piece of chicken off of one plate and not share the same toilet paper. You need to to stock up on that

Old 06-16-2015, 01:03 PM

9,071 posts, read 15,062,085 times
Quote:
As I said there could be advantages but always remember being married means more bills. You obviously are not going to be eating the same piece of chicken off of one plate and not share the same toilet paper. You need to to stock up on that
I have been single, and I have been married. The majority of your household bills do not double by adding a person, and some remain about the same or exactly the same.

18,958 posts, read 9,665,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
All else being equal (same home, same lifestyle, etc), and both parties are employed, it is more financially beneficial to be married than single.
You pay more taxes for being married.

31,753 posts, read 20,035,771 times
Quote:
True. Toilet paper consumption is a big issue when looking at marriage. I would definitely address that in the pre-nup.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-16-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Key word is both employed. But you must pray that nothing happens to one spouses job because many people buy houses today that require 2 incomes to cover the mortgage and other expenses and the bank doesn't care if one looses their job they still want the monthly payment and this isn't the 1990s the job market isn't secure anymore

Old 06-16-2015, 01:04 PM

8,870 posts, read 5,152,159 times
Quote:
But which is more expensive, a second package of toilet paper or a second house?

Personally, I have found I have much more money being divorced. My ex-husband out-earns me, but he also out-spends me, and there is no end to his wish list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or