Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 05:58 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k81689 View Post
I would vote for 1% federal personal income tax. Let each states experiment their own.

So you would then vote to cut all federal funding to the states and cut the military?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 11:35 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
So you would then vote to cut all federal funding to the states and cut the military?
Cut? Federal spending as a percent of GNP is around 20%.

1% would mean the elimination of Federal spending for everything, not only the military. Social Security and other entitlements use just under 2/3rds of all spending.

What would survive would be salary and pensions for congresscritters and Federal labor unions would fight over the leftovers.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:40 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
Cut? Federal spending as a percent of GNP is around 20%.

1% would mean the elimination of Federal spending for everything, not only the military. Social Security and other entitlements use just under 2/3rds of all spending.

What would survive would be salary and pensions for congresscritters and Federal labor unions would fight over the leftovers.

Kind of my point but I felt the implication was obvious

Old 07-16-2015, 09:54 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
well, you would need to offset some of the expense with greater state income taxes. you could get rid of the military and then put it on the states. that would present a great savings but it would unfairly distribute the defense of the nation to the border/coastal states. it would eliminate all the foreign wars and bases, which would be pretty sweet. it would be interesting to see what exactly gets cut when the burden is on the states rather than on a federal government with unlimited ability to print and spend money.

i dont favor this but the military is one thing that could stand for a huge cut and a major re-evaluation on how to best defend this country. if you could just shrink it down to size, that would free up so much money (which could be dangerous).

Old 07-16-2015, 04:53 PM

531 posts, read 758,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k81689 View Post
I would vote for 1% federal personal income tax. Let each states experiment their own.

Quote:
"Let each states experiment their own." meant exactly all states shall do whatever they want.

Oue best weapons are not our weapons but, Constitution, Ways of life, Culture(hollywood, arts...), the ways we try very hard to treat each other equally...

We should export those except weapons, conquerors, troops, tanks, drones, war ships...

Let other areas join our constitution and still preserve their own difference.

For example, if some areas in central america join US Constitution, then people has no need to travel all the way to Cal, AZ, TX...

Old 07-16-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Kind of my point but I felt the implication was obvious
Yeah, but I wanted to add to it.

Someone who thinks the Fed income tax rate COULD be 1% wouldn't think it obvious.

Although I think the military budget, to name one budget, is bloated, spending only 1% of GNP on it for long enough is an invitation to have one's country invaded. Countries that are smaller and weaker get invaded, given enough time. History provides jillions of examples of this.

For someone who knows how, I didn't think you were being a big enough jerk.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Someone who thinks the Fed income tax rate COULD be 1% wouldn't think it obvious.
of course they think its obvious. they just want the state to pick up many of the tasks of the federal government.

you are trying to be condescending but you are just being ignorant. im not saying its a good idea but to presume that the guy doesn't realize a 1% tax rate would virtually eliminate the federal government is a goofy level of false elitism.

I think there would be a lot of positives to minimizing federal government to almost nothing. you would probably end up with a lot more differences in the prosperity of individual states. each state could have their own version of social security, medicare, public assistance (or lack therof), military, tax rates, etc. its an interesting concept but too far to becoming reality to be worth taking too much time analyzing it.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
of course they think its obvious. they just want the state to pick up many of the tasks of the federal government.
I don't believe that and they don't think that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you are trying to be condescending but you are just being ignorant. im not saying its a good idea but to presume that the guy doesn't realize a 1% tax rate would virtually eliminate the federal government is a goofy level of false elitism.
No, I was just being condescending.

If I was being ignorant, I would have included factual, errors - kinda like a presidential candidate.

Some level of Federal government is a necessary evil. Moving spending to the states like that would cause the breakup of the U.S. ( Lots of people believe this is a good thing. )

People that start talking about eliminating the EPA, FDA, OSHA, et al are the ones that are ignorant. They are ignorant of history and why these agencies exist. ( Ignorant: A person who has never read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle. )

The problem with Federal agencies is not that they exist, but they have become a place where political awards are granted. The current POTUS is a good example of constantly uploading people who are unqualified to head these organizations.

The idea that Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid could possibly be off-loaded to the states is the definition of ignorance and deserves the harshest possible condescension.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I don't believe that and they don't think that.

No, I was just being condescending.
i guess we have to ask k81689 to see who is right.

so k81689, are you saying that the states would pick up the responsibility of the necessary programs of the federal govermment (thus increasing the state taxes according to whichever government services the state deems necessary)?

Old 07-18-2015, 05:27 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Only if certain conditions were met such as:
Eliminating tax exemption for financing sports stadia.
Applying the FICA tax to all earnings, eliminate the wage cap.
Taxing imported goods and services.

In short, numerous things that would never get past the lobbyists controlling Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance