Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 12:52 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times

Advertisements

As few of you may know, I recently purchased a new car after disputing a junk debt that was placed on two of the three main credit reporting agencies. I have a current copy of my credit report, but I was amazed by how many hard queries where made in my attempt to get the car financed. While at the dealership, it appears that seven financial organizations made hard queries on my credit report, and I understand that hard queries stay on your report for two whole years.

How can I prevent future unauthorized hard queries to appear on my credit report? I will avoid applying for credit cards and such for a while because I want to use the next six months, at least, to continue to build up my credit score and push it over the 700 mark (trust me, I've come a looooong way in fixing some debts).

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 12:57 PM

8,408 posts, read 4,571,146 times
As long as the finance companies coded the inquiries correctly, they all count as one for scoring.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:04 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Just avoiding any application for new credit (such as credit cards or loans) for a while should do the trick. It's generally just applications for new credit which cause hard queries to be made. If you want to be super safe, you can put a credit freeze on your account with all three credit agencies, but that costs a bit of money and may be a pain when the time comes when you DO want to apply for credit in the future (since you'll need your assigned PIN numbers to unlock your credit files before you can apply for a new line of credit).

Old 06-30-2015, 01:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Sounds like someone had hard time getting approved. Those type are hard to stop if you want the credit.They will just turn you down because they cannot get a credit check.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Just avoiding any application for new credit (such as credit cards or loans) for a while should do the trick. It's generally just applications for new credit which cause hard queries to be made. If you want to be super safe, you can put a credit freeze on your account with all three credit agencies, but that costs a bit of money and may be a pain when the time comes when you DO want to apply for credit in the future (since you'll need your assigned PIN numbers to unlock your credit files before you can apply for a new line of credit).
Just to be clear, this will prevent new companies from pulling inquiries but not existing creditors. They will still be able to after the freeze (say for a credit limit increase you request or for another line of credit).

Old 06-30-2015, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the advice thus far. I think putting a freeze on my reports may be overkill, so I will just stick to my plan and hold off with applying for any new credit for a while. There's no reason for any organization that I do not currently have a credit account with will do a hard query without my authorization, correct?

Old 06-30-2015, 07:36 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Thanks for the advice thus far. I think putting a freeze on my reports may be overkill, so I will just stick to my plan and hold off with applying for any new credit for a while. There's no reason for any organization that I do not currently have a credit account with will do a hard query without my authorization, correct?

Correct. They might do "soft pulls" to see if you prequalify for any offers, but no hard pulls.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
Correct. They might do "soft pulls" to see if you prequalify for any offers, but no hard pulls.
A freeze prevents ANY pull (soft or hard) from anyone who does not have permissible purpose. Current creditors have it, others don't.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Sounds like someone had hard time getting approved. Those type are hard to stop if you want the credit.They will just turn you down because they cannot get a credit check.

Actually I was approved by four companies including Toyota Financing. I had some 0% interest rate offers, but for up to 48 month financing plan, I needed more time. So I selected Capital One for 72 months.

But, thanks for playing.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Actually I was approved by four companies including Toyota Financing. I had some 0% interest rate offers, but for up to 48 month financing plan, I needed more time. So I selected Capital One for 72 months.

But, thanks for playing.
A 72 month car loan? <choke>

That's 6 YEARS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance