Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 02:44 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,476,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Now you're living the life that I aim for, a nice passive income, no bad debt, traveling.

Also you're obviously not taxed on W2 income (highest taxed). At $120k passive income you're in the sweet spot, meaning deductions don't get phased out, and with the right type of income. To achieve that kind of passive income I have to build more wealth and invest it well, a tough nut to crack (especially in a short time span).
doesn't seem too hard to hit though :S using a 4% rule, its a little over $3m invested, starting in your 20s and investing about $30k a year, you can hit that in your 50s... add in pensions/annuities and well, it's even easier :S

just maxing out the 401k each year would get you to that by 65 if you invested in a good fund and didn't keep altering it... then delay taking social security until 70 for max benefits... Sure some may not want to work until 65, but even retiring in their 50s is possible if they got started investing right out of college

the hardest part would be trying to shorten the time span of investing to under age 50... sure some people do it like mr money mustache, but that might not be a life for everyone. But having a decent investment by age 50-60 isn't that bad either.

with how easy it is to invest in stocks/real estate these days, it is a lot easier to retire than past generations to me where investments were largely for people with money already backing them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 03:09 PM

26,150 posts, read 21,387,601 times
Quote:
How much do you think you need for retirement?

You say $10m... So... answer the question. How would you like it if you accumulated $5m on your way to your $10m goal then government deemed

you don't need that much money

and took a chunk setting you back on your goal. Then a bunch of low information, low education dependents cheered them on while government took your money.

Would you support wealth grab saying you don't need the money?

Not everyone has a 30 year timespan to build their retirement fund and by taking more of their income you are hurting their ability to catch up.

Do you not understand what a strawman is? You are creating a new topic to argue that has nothing to do with the current topic.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:16 PM

581 posts, read 610,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Do you not understand what a strawman is? You are creating a new topic to argue that has nothing to do with the current topic.

THANK YOU!!

This has nothing to do with the OP's question. If you want to argue how "The Gubment" is coming to take your hard earned dollars, go to the Politics forum and complain there.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:31 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,583,631 times
Quote:
LOL yea because everyone would rather bit*ch about needing to make more money and then if they do they'll gladly hand it over. You are taking care of you, let them stay stupid and poor because we don't want to talk about it.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
THANK YOU!!

This has nothing to do with the OP's question. If you want to argue how "The Gubment" is coming to take your hard earned dollars, go to the Politics forum and complain there.
Yea because government taking your money has nothing to do with OP's question right? Wow! Keep spinning and treading the hamster wheel and getting nowhere if you want then.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
LOL yea because everyone would rather bit*ch about needing to make more money and then if they do they'll gladly hand it over. You are taking care of you, let them stay stupid and poor because we don't want to talk about it.
You've gone from strawman to incoherent rambling

Old 07-29-2015, 04:57 PM

18,487 posts, read 15,444,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
for as long as I have been working , 40 years now I couldn't give a darn about politics .

no matter what party is in office , every day I put my pants on , go to work and provide for my family. nothing has changed regardless of who is in office .

I am responsible myself for meeting goals and playing the cards I am dealt.

my view of politics is democrats are morons with no ideas , and republicans are morons with bad ideas.

you can search all my thousands of posts and never see a political reference one way or another. I just do not care when it comes to effecting my plans or playing the blame game .
No longer the case.

It really depends on the field. When one is actually working for the government, directly or indirectly, things change a bit. In private industry, of course, this is less so, unless it is mainly contracting for government work.

And some government jobs are much more stable than others.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:30 PM

105,786 posts, read 107,776,949 times
politics and who is in office has always been transparent to me and never a factor .

Old 07-30-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
You've gone from strawman to incoherent rambling
Yet you refuse to answer the question. Why, because you know I am right, you would be p*ssed and don't want to admit it.

As I said, I and many other people don't have the time line of 30 years like you do, even government acknowledges this by allowing a small increase in contribution to 401K's (the catch up contribution) but it doesn't make much difference when taking our ability to put aside by taking a higher percentage of the additional money we make.

Most people make more in their later years than in their younger years. Even though bot are good... it is far better to make $100k for 30 years than it is to make $300k for 10 years. A lot of young don't have the foresight or ability to put aside while young because they are just starting out and need many things, when they are making more in their older years, since they make more gov takes more, continuing to make it hard to put money aside.

You're obviously "luckier" than most young people, actually we are both luckier than a lot of people but you can't see outside your world.

Last edited by petch751; 07-30-2015 at 09:27 AM..

Old 07-30-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Yet you refuse to answer the question. Why, because you know I am right, you would be p*ssed and don't want to admit it.
I'm not refusing to answer the question because you are right or wrong but rather you are creating an argument in which no one was discussing soley for the purpose of distracting from the actual topic.

Quote:

As I said, I and many other people don't have the time line of 30 years like you do, even government acknowledges this by allowing a small increase in contribution to 401K's but it doesn't make much difference when taking our ability to put aside by taking more of what we make.
Well that's either poor planning, poor earnings or a combination there of that got you to the point you are at

Quote:
Also most people make more in their later years than in their younger years. A lot of young don't have the foresight or ability to put aside while young because they are just starting out, when they are making more in their older years, since they make more gov takes more, continuing to make it hard to put money aside.
And? That's not impactful to my plan. If your number be it annual savings or total goals are different that's fine because they are your goals not mine

Quote:
You're obviously "luckier" than most young people and can't see outside your world
How on earth would you know of I was lucky or not? I can see outside my own world clearly but that doesn't change the basis for my situation or goals. I've spent more than a decade and a half working at the same company and while there always could be some luck associated with timing of events I assure you I'm not where I am by luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance