Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 01:40 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times

Advertisements

you get what you pay for.

Would you go to school for 6 years, prepare for difficult exams, pay dues, pay rent and overhead for an office and then give your knowledge away? I can tell you that most attorneys will not give you any simple answers, just make an appointment and then charge you $240 or more an hour and then give you answers. or maybe not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 02:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
you get what you pay for.

Would you go to school for 6 years, prepare for difficult exams, pay dues, pay rent and overhead for an office and then give your knowledge away? I can tell you that most attorneys will not give you any simple answers, just make an appointment and then charge you $240 or more an hour and then give you answers. or maybe not.
No reputable attorney would charge you his hourly rate for an office visit to tell you that you have no case.

Compared to doctors, lawyers are relatively honest, and actually meet their responsibility to do pro-bono work, and will not bill you to tell you that they can't help you.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 413 times
I have a $5,000 judgment filed against me in circuit court by a local Fla. hospital. I just got a $20,000 insurance check for a cancer policy I have had for years. I have 90 days to cash the check. If I open a bank account and deposit the money, can the hospital or debt collection agencies make a claim against an insurance payment? I am still undegoing follow-up treatments.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:07 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,021,130 times
Just google free advice. There's a site that has legal forums. The site is actually freeadvice.com.
There's "ask a lawyer" -- but I usually just 'ask the community' and the forums will come up. You do have to register. But it's free.

nififan49, I think so in this case...BUT.....
I think only a court order to withdraw or the IRS can take actually go into your account and TAKE the money.
The IRS for example watches and sweeps accounts, and if the amount of money they're owed ever shows up in there, they can come get it.

Judgements usually are just against the person or could be a lien on a house or whatever. (Not all judgements are house liens.) They don't come GET the money, but you're "ordered to pay it." Of course if it's a house lien you can't sell your house free and clear without the judgement being settled.

Do you need this money? Putting it in a trust might protect it. But, also IF you really do OWE the 5,000, make arrangements to make payments, and then you won't have to worry about them coming to get the money.

Last edited by rdflk; 08-25-2013 at 11:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance