Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 01:59 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,409,691 times

Advertisements

Dump cable - use Netflix alone and check other things you want out of the library for free. Buy an antennae to get basic TV channels, if you even watch those....

Cell phone is way to high. Look at Republic Wireless or Virgin plans. You can get the monthly cost below $50 easily. Sometimes it is worth buying a phone if the new provider requires it if it means money saved in the long run. Find a plan where you only pay for what you use. I pay only $12 per month with Republic Wireless, but I only have Internet access where free wireless is available. But that's enough for me.

Call your internet company every year when they jack up your rates. Threaten to leave unless you get a cheaper rate, and remind them what a loyal customer you have been.

Keep your lights off during the day. Keep your house temperature a couple degrees warmer during the summer, and a couple degrees cooler during the winter.

Shop around every year for car insurance. Increase your deductible, and consider getting rid of collision completely.

Get rid of one car.

Ride your bike everywhere you can instead of driving your car.

Enjoy the simple and free things in life. There are many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 02:08 PM

940 posts, read 968,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It's interesting - among people I talk to in my daily life, this mortgage prepayment issue is one of the most.... I don't want to say "divisive" but definitely something that people have strong opinions on one way or another.

There's the Dave Ramsey type people who live by the "debt-free" mantra. They say it should be top priority now that I've paid all my debts off to focus on eliminating the mortgage ASAP - although it will take me between 9 and 13 years to do it. I tend to lean a little in this direction.

Then there are the people - generally my family members and friends that are bankers, real estate agents or sales people - that see debt as a tool and don't really fear it. Actually they think I should take out more debt now that my credit rating went sky-high and before interest rates increase and invest in rental properties or something. In general they see me "wasting" my savings by not being aggressive with it (I put it in CDs, bonds and the most conservative investment vehicles I can find - I have one index fund that a % of the savings goes to). They think "debt-free" is really "lost opportunity" and generally not worth it.
OP I think prepaying your mortgage, especially when first taken out, is the smart thing to do.

I am fairly debt adverse. I too initially paid more on our mortgage after getting it initially. Now that I refi'd several years ago for around 3% I don't worry about it as much. We paid a big chunk down and are around 60% LTV now, and at the same time got a 15 year note. We could pay it off right now, which we just may do, I'm not sure. All the investors say "no" that it's stupid, but you can't live in an investment account. There is huge piece of mind to owning your property, especially in our area where taxes are low. Once the mortgage is paid off, our monthly housing cost is around $200 between taxes and insurance.

Alternatively the more risker play is to take that money, invest in property REITs and other large dividend paying companies (like AT&T, around 5%) and pay the note off with the dividends from that. At the end you're left with no mortgage and still a large investment account balance.

Typically the stock market has out performed RE over the long term but there is price of mind to owning your house. Also when purchasing another, there is a massive amount of "fees" that are saved by paying cash.

In general, as long as you are "smart" about it, using other people's money (OPM) to leverage your position will give the greatest financial return. Donald Trump went bankrupt multiple times, but used OPM to build his empire back up again.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:53 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,256,865 times
I dumped my home internet about 2 years ago and recently got rid of TV. It.s pretty drastic but I had to do it. I rarely even miss it. Plus the extra mortgage money could be stopped as well, although it.s a good habit! Pocket cash seems high too. Keep $20. Too easy to let pocket cash fly out at Walgreens, whatnot at $25 or $50 a crack.Coffee shops can be addictive: Whole Foods has some excellent cold coffee drinks (if you like cold drinks).

Old 08-08-2015, 04:30 PM

693 posts, read 704,403 times
Planet Fitness is only 10.00 a month. Do you have one in your area?

Old 08-08-2015, 05:20 PM

10,060 posts, read 7,228,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindarby View Post
Planet Fitness is only 10.00 a month. Do you have one in your area?
No I miss it too - used to have that when I lived in Texas.

I've got Anytime Fitness because I thought I was going to do more traveling. I'm locked in for about 8 more months but will downgrade to a $20 gym after this.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:53 AM

40 posts, read 30,922 times
Straighttalk Cell phone plan: (saves $40)
Cut the cable and use Netflix only (saves $70)
Join community center gym: $25 for 3 months (saves $95)
Halve eating out or stop eating out

Problem solved

What's the attraction to buying gold coins?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance