Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2015, 02:03 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,297 times

Advertisements

The car financially is a terrible decision financially. Yo can lose your job tomorrow and then you're ****ed.
Now if she said I think it's a bad idea that's fine and reasonable. But for her to try and tell you how to spend your money is absurd. Cut her loose before you destroy your life. She'll have your balls in her purse if you marry her.

And let me guess -she won't think spending tens of thousands of dollars on a worthless rock for her would be a bad way to spend money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 06:07 AM

906 posts, read 1,766,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
The car financially is a terrible decision financially. Yo can lose your job tomorrow and then you're ****ed.
Now if she said I think it's a bad idea that's fine and reasonable. But for her to try and tell you how to spend your money is absurd. Cut her loose before you destroy your life. She'll have your balls in her purse if you marry her.

And let me guess -she won't think spending tens of thousands of dollars on a worthless rock for her would be a bad way to spend money.
They already broke up. Read the damn thread.

Its absurd for her to have any input in life decisions for the person she cares for? If they ended up married it would be very relevant, and to her, it might be a good test if he has any value for her opinion. There are many women who don't give a crap about an engagement ring, so don't generalize. Its pretty sexist.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:03 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post

Its absurd for her to have any input in life decisions for the person she cares for? If they ended up married it would be very relevant, and to her, it might be a good test if he has any value for her opinion. There are many women who don't give a crap about an engagement ring, so don't generalize. Its pretty sexist.
This. If they stayed together his decision effects her. She has every right to an opinion on the matter.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:27 PM

128 posts, read 116,113 times
When I first commented on this thread way back, I pretty much figured the situation would turn out like this, lol. I could tell the OP was going to get the car regardless of the advice presented either way, and it sounded like the GF would not be around for long either. OP wish you the best with your new car, and hopefully a successful relationship soon too.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:08 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Well instant gratification ("ever since I graduated college 2 years ago") is something your generation thinks is important so I doubt anyone on the internet will change your mind. You may loose your shirt, your job, your gf, and even your car depending on how the future plays out but I won't loose any sleep over it.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:07 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post

lmao sorry i didn't read 20 pages of this thread

as for "don't generalize" when probably at least 95% if not more women would want a nice ring it's safe to generalize- it's not being sexist.stop being so sensitive and politically correct. the diamond industry exists because women want them. i didn't invent the industry so if you don't like it blame some long dead Debeer's executives.

and yes it is absolutely absurd for someone to TELL a grown adult what they can and can't buy with their own money who they aren't even married to. It would be equally absurd for him to have told her how to spend her money.

Being on the same page financially is important for a long term relationship or marriage.But if one person has to tell the other how to spend money or if they have the audacity to think they have that right as a mere girlfriend then it's doomed to fail.

It sounds like she dodged a bullet of having someone spend money in a way she think is stupid and he dodged being neutered for the rest of his life.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:02 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
lmao sorry i didn't read 20 pages of this thread

as for "don't generalize" when probably at least 95% if not more women would want a nice ring it's safe to generalize- it's not being sexist.stop being so sensitive and politically correct. the diamond industry exists because women want them. i didn't invent the industry so if you don't like it blame some long dead Debeer's executives.

and yes it is absolutely absurd for someone to TELL a grown adult what they can and can't buy with their own money who they aren't even married to. It would be equally absurd for him to have told her how to spend her money.

Being on the same page financially is important for a long term relationship or marriage.But if one person has to tell the other how to spend money or if they have the audacity to think they have that right as a mere girlfriend then it's doomed to fail.

It sounds like she dodged a bullet of having someone spend money in a way she think is stupid and he dodged being neutered for the rest of his life.
Read your own post. She expecting a committed relationship is 100% in the right to opine on how he spends his money.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:07 AM

91 posts, read 96,817 times
I cannot seem to edit the first post but I forgot to mention that I did go from contributing to a Roth 401K to a traditional 401K. This boosted my monthly take home by a little over $400 bringing my monthly cash flow into the black without counting rental income.

Looking at my situation...I am 24 years old driving the car I could have only dreamed of being in my driveway just 2 years ago. I have a a good amount of equity in a beautiful townhome in a friendly neighborhood that I am able to rent a portion of to help bolster my savings. I have over $50k of liquid savings (now closer to $55k) and am maxing my 401K and Roth IRA accounts. I have a big cash bonus that I am looking forward to in a few months. I am VERY happy and VERY comfortable with my current situation. I understand that not everyone agrees but I am so very glad that instead of mulling over this for too long I just went for it. This weekend, after a long week of work, I took the car up into the Smoky Mountains and spent my entire Saturday morning just driving. It was surreal. If I knew the car would bring me this much happiness, I would have even considered spending double what I did. I make this post in case someone reading may be in a similar situation. Despite the risk, sometimes you just have to go for it!

I will try and get a couple pics up when I get a chance!

TLDR: Cash flow is not negative, I am very happy. Some risks are worth taking.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:11 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,454 times
everything is a dream until you own it. That includes a car, even a dream girl.

We as humans get tired of stuff we already own. In order to keep up the freshness, we always looking for the next thing (maybe not the girl friend, as it's not a thing

Old 10-19-2015, 08:26 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KattyInvest View Post
I cannot seem to edit the first post but I forgot to mention that I did go from contributing to a Roth 401K to a traditional 401K. This boosted my monthly take home by a little over $400 bringing my monthly cash flow into the black without counting rental income.

Looking at my situation...I am 24 years old driving the car I could have only dreamed of being in my driveway just 2 years ago. I have a a good amount of equity in a beautiful townhome in a friendly neighborhood that I am able to rent a portion of to help bolster my savings. I have over $50k of liquid savings (now closer to $55k) and am maxing my 401K and Roth IRA accounts. I have a big cash bonus that I am looking forward to in a few months. I am VERY happy and VERY comfortable with my current situation. I understand that not everyone agrees but I am so very glad that instead of mulling over this for too long I just went for it. This weekend, after a long week of work, I took the car up into the Smoky Mountains and spent my entire Saturday morning just driving. It was surreal. If I knew the car would bring me this much happiness, I would have even considered spending double what I did. I make this post in case someone reading may be in a similar situation. Despite the risk, sometimes you just have to go for it!

I will try and get a couple pics up when I get a chance!

TLDR: Cash flow is not negative, I am very happy. Some risks are worth taking.
You will most likely be fine...this a harsh place to suggesting buying expensive cars at a young age. I mean its a freaking personal finance forum. You pretty much knew the answer you would get before you hit "post"

Good luck and be careful...dont wrap that thing around a tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance