Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:30 AM

422 posts, read 412,471 times

Advertisements

pre 9/11 there was no such thing as a "delivery fee", it was once the gas went over $3 a gallon back in 2003-2004 then pizza joints started implementing a "delivery fee", if gas went back to $1.50 a gallon they would never get rid of it. Just like taxes, once its there, its there no matter if the original tax paid for the root cause or not.

This is why I will never order delivery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 11:55 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduringWon View Post
I can't speak for all pizza places but the one I worked for, we received $3.40 an hour and then 23 cents per mile and whatever tip someone chose to pay. The company would charge a delivery fee of 2.50 an hour. We had the wear and tear on our car, out in all kinds of weather, and dealing with all types of people. Oh and we were allowed pizzas for half off if we did carry out. None of it was worth it but you do what you have to do.
Did the store give the driver the delivery fee or keep it for themselves?

Old 09-17-2015, 03:01 PM

414 posts, read 296,681 times
People keep citing that the store has to pay for gas and the car. Around here, the delivery drivers use their own car and gas, and they live on the tips. The store might pay them a few dollars an hour, just like waitstaff.

But they don't charge fees (yet). Similar to hotel room service. The delivery charge goes to the hotel, not the employee bringing up the tray.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:41 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
No, What "Above and Beyond" Service did they do? Walk Order from Kitchen to Pickup area. I ordered online,
Just curious same amount of service similar to pizza without the delivery

Quote:
Should I send a Tip to the programmer who made the site?
Should I send a Tip to the Network Guy who connected the server to the internet?

Are either specifically working per your request? No unlike the food service areas

Old 09-17-2015, 04:43 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion99 View Post
People keep citing that the store has to pay for gas and the car. Around here, the delivery drivers use their own car and gas, and they live on the tips. The store might pay them a few dollars an hour, just like waitstaff.

But they don't charge fees (yet). Similar to hotel room service. The delivery charge goes to the hotel, not the employee bringing up the tray.
Typically the drivers get a per mile reimbursement

Old 09-17-2015, 04:57 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why don't they just give him the delivery fee?
Either pay the delivery fee or tip, but don't do both.

Also I only tip if the pizza/hoagies come within the stated time-frame.

When I'm told 30 minutes and the pizza arrives 50 minutes later, the only tip I give is "Drive faster."

Old 09-18-2015, 04:17 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion99 View Post
People keep citing that the store has to pay for gas and the car.
Indeed, but what's even more interesting is that the folks who are trying to rationalize criticisms of the pizza places charging a delivery free, or trying to rationalize withholding a gratuity for the driver, have posted no reply to my earlier comment, which made clear that cost is irrelevant, and instead all that matters is that the pizza place is offering an extra service that the patron views as valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Are either specifically working per your request? No unlike the food service areas
This is also irrelevant. What matters is that certain services are tipped and others are not. These aren't cavalier decisions that service providers can make for themselves, but are reflections of society's consensus developed over decades, and continually changing. Service providers properly craft their business models and especially their pricing models based on these mores.

It is worth noting that, while these things have always continually changed, the rate of change for such things has been greatly increased for such things in recent decades. The most likely culprit is the increased immediacy of social communication beyond one's own inner circle of friends and direct-contact acquaintances (i.e., the Internet and social media in general). There are dozens of examples, at least in micro-scenarios (within more contained contexts than all of society) where long-standing mores were changed, radically, over a short period of time.

The best examples I know of involve hospitality and travel. Despite operating a certain way for decades, there are cases where changes to more-driven aspects of operations were made in very short periods of time, and then even changed again and again, as social media (especially) propagated "tricks and tips" that effectively nullified the integrity of previous business models and pricing models. The manner by which discounts are offered has had to be radically changed, as the standard manner by which geographic and demographic market segmentation has been effected has been compromised. The manner by which offerings have been fairly distributed among the full complement of patrons has had to change as exploits become known and shared, giving those "in the know" unfair advantages which thereby degrade the value of the experience for the majority.

So that should give the nay-sayers in this thread hope: If there is a sincere desire to do away with nickle and diming, and a sincere desire to do away with gratuity-dependent pricing models, then the options that occasionally pop up that try to cater to those preferences can be shared widely and quickly, giving those folks the opportunity to put their money where their mouths are, by rewarding these new options with their frequent and loyal patronage. However, time and time again, it has been evident that people aren't sincere, deep down perhaps in their unconscious, about their aversion to nickle and diming: There has not only been a substantial preference practiced by the American consumer for picking the low-cost provider without regard to added fees, but it has been progressively more and more so the case.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:34 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,287 times
The service fee is a reflection of an added service to DELIVER to those unable to PICKUP or ( burp!) too fat and pretty to pick-up!! On the flip side it could be absorbed within the cost of doing busniness if you want your pizza sold? The employee has to use their own cottonpickin car!!!! He/she is at risk for injury, accident liability ,repair, etc. driving around like a fool trying to find the fat and pretty's house!!. So with all the said simply split the service fee and if a company car is provided 1/3 fee to driver!! Don't pressure people to tip on top of a fee as it destroys your RELATIONSHIP ! Remember ALL your are is a SERVANT!!! A SUCK UP SERVANT 24/7 you are nothing more!!!!! Gett'er done !!!

Last edited by openmike; 09-18-2015 at 08:53 AM..

Old 09-18-2015, 12:43 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
The service fee is a reflection of an added service to DELIVER to those unable to PICKUP or ( burp!) too fat and pretty to pick-up!! On the flip side it could be absorbed within the cost of doing busniness if you want your pizza sold?
And that's surely the case where the market is such that a delivery charge will adverse affect the bottom line of the business. You've hit on what should be the determining factor: The impact on the pizza place's profit. Even in sectors where surcharges upon surcharges are standard practice, we've seen the odd business here and there try to bolster its market share by advertising that they don't apply one or more surcharges that their competitors regularly charge. I'm struggling, though, to recall any circumstance within which a company has done that with such success that they retain the distinction long-term.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:57 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Yeah, I haven't had pizza delivered in ages. The pizza place isn't that far away. We drive over and get it. Occasionally, we even walk over, have dinner and then walk home, as it is only a little over a mile away.

By the time you have a delivery charge and a tip, you have doubled the cost of the pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance