Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 08:24 AM

18 posts, read 40,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinb View Post
you say this is just for you and not your wife. if that is correct then $500 for food for one person is crazy. Maybe I read that wrong. Also, $700 a month for a car is high. I'd work on lowering those two categories first (either sell the car or make your next one considerably less expensive) and putting more into retirement accounts.
I agree.. this is one thing i am having a hard time changing. I buy breakfast for $5 - $7 and lunch for $10. i know i know this is something i need to change. i am working on it and will get that to change. That plus every weekend eating out with family and probably once a week one a weekday we eat out. That is why it is $500 (thats being conservative too, its not always this high)

For my car, i owe $11,000 and it is worth $14,000 right now. I plan on paying it in full by next year and just keeping it until it breaks down, i figure that would be cheaper then selling it and buying something cheaper but less quality. I drive a 2011 BMW.

Does that make sense? thanks a lot!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 08:27 AM

18 posts, read 40,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
You should be including your wife as a household. You should have combined everything and be working together.

If your spouse has 200K in student loan debt I am going to tell that you both are in trouble...

Simple Plan
  1. Reduce the expenses everywhere
  2. eliminate the debt ASAP
  3. increase your retirement
  4. increase your college savings
  5. Save for house or car
Also why on earth would you carry a CC balance on a 78K+ salary???
Spouse has CC debt 3K, car loan 9k at 1.99%, 14k in cash, 30k in 401k, making 61k a year.

Some wrong decisions in the past thats why CC is high..

thanks!

Old 09-18-2015, 08:35 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I think your savings for retirement are lacking. Shoot for 15% of annual income each year for retirement.
You should have no CC debt. If you are paying CC in total each month then ok.
Assume you have a one year loan for the car. If not way too much.
Assume the emergency 350 is building up an emergence fund and not monthly expenses. You need 6 months to a year of cash in case you are out of a job, disabled etc.
Where is your expense for health,life and disability insurance?
Where are your payroll and income taxes?

You do not get a passing grade but your income should be enough to get a passing grade. However a lot of info is missing and we would have to see all your family expenses. Put in a wife and Husband col.
It's a little low, but not that much assuming his wife has a similar amount and they split all living expenses. Doubled that would be 120k. Again, a little low, but not really low.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:37 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
I think you're doing okay. Some of the people posting have a lot of resources and see the world with differently than most (which in my opinion is a good thing, but it's just not how most people think or are behaving... probably how they got to be where they are!) What they are telling you is good advice, so do it, but regardless I think you're doing pretty well for 33. We weren't much (if any) better off than you guys, but then I started hanging out here and other places (MrMoneyMoustache, Bogleheads, Frugalwoods) and it's taken us further along in financial security.

I think the only advice I have is to question your purchases more and define where you want to be in your finances. Don't let cars or clothing get in the way of a solid security.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:41 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,245,736 times
Honestly...I would pay off all your debt...start with a clean slate. it looks like with your cash savings u might be able to do that pretty quickly.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:12 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
From your answers to the questions it looks like you did a poor job a few years ago and you were smart enough to figure it out before you did a lot of damage to your financial health.

I think a lot of your (meaning most people) problems are due to a lack of financial education in high school and the ability to get credit.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:30 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,332,726 times
You have more than enough in savings to just pay off that CC debt and stop paying the interest that comes with it. That would be my first move.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:00 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
If you want to be a patriotic American and help the economy, you are way underspending. You need to buy a new house as soon as possible, and another car, or at least a boat. You are underutilizing your credit, you can afford to pay another $500 a month, at least, on credit card bills.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:40 PM

136 posts, read 141,779 times
I don't think you're doing badly at all, it's just that you can be doing better.

For your expenses -- shouldn't there for a line item for utilities -- some line item for cell/internet/cable/electric/gas/water? I'd imagine that's another $100-200 combined at least.

If I were you, I'd pay off the CC debt immediately; it's not that much compared to your 19k in savings. Just pay off that $2500 as I bet you're paying 15-20% interest on it. Then work on building your savings back up to your goal of 22k. Do you know what % you're contributing to your 401k? With your new paycheck -- your goal should be to keep your take home almost the same -- meaning the "extra" from your raise should be going into your 401k and your liquid savings, so up your percentages as needed.

In terms of expenses, I think lots of people think everyone can/should go from eating out 2 meals a day to eating rice and beans for 25 cents a day total. It's just not sustainable (for most), so make changes gradually. You say you eat 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 1-2 weekend meals, and 1 weekday dinner out. Ok -- how about cutting back in some combination -- meaning 1 day a week, skip breakfast/grab something from home AND 2 day a week, cut back on lunch and grab something for $5-6 rather $10/meal? That would be saving $15 per week over a week without totally depriving yourself. $15/week isn't that much, but it adds up to $60/month and $720/year.

Same thing with the gym -- $170 seems pricey to me. Can you find a cheaper gym? Or depending on how you work out -- could you quit the gym for the rest of the year, now that northern Va. weather is nice enough to work out outdoors and then re-join in January when gyms always give discounts to join? Saving $170/month for the rest of the year adds up to $510.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:00 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times
Drop the gym. There's plenty of home workouts and even MMA training at $60-70/month than what you are paying.

Much more should go to investing wisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance