Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 08:15 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times

Advertisements

Here's a question for the finance experts and enthusiasts out there.

If you had to choose between investing a 401(k) or a Roth IRA, which would you contribute to first? I have some funds in both but I'm putting most of my investing into the IRA at the moment. Once I reach my target in my emergency savings (hopefully by the end of the year), I'll probably add more to the 401(k). I should also add that there's a fair chance I will be switching jobs by 2009 and I will not be fully vested.

So what you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 09:33 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,662 times
I think it also matters what your tax rate is. But most likely I would invest up to the matching point in 401k and then the rest in the roth.

with us, I know we will be at a higher tax bracket when we retire. right now we have 2 kids, middle class, low tax bracket. So I prefer to contribute the max in the roth so I dont have to worry about taxes on that amount at retirement.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:26 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
401k up to matching
max roth IRA
401k after match up to maximum

Old 01-29-2008, 11:40 AM

Thank you both! I'm not sure what my tax bracket is exactly but it's relatively low at the moment.

Last year was my first with the Roth IRA and contributed the $4,000 max. I was trying to decide whether I would use my recent raise to cover the new $5,000 max or add to my 401(k). I may just decide on the latter now.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:33 PM

857 posts, read 4,878,633 times
Since the employer holds out the amount you contribute to the 401k I would do that first, primarily because then it is out of your hands. Once you have become used to doing without that part of your pay that you never even see, then start putting some money into your Roth as well.
If your employer offers any match you should absolutely take advantage of that. Ultimately, the Roth is the better deal down the road when you retire, but the 401k is better as "forced savings" just to get you into the habit.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
Since the employer holds out the amount you contribute to the 401k I would do that first, primarily because then it is out of your hands. Once you have become used to doing without that part of your pay that you never even see, then start putting some money into your Roth as well.
If your employer offers any match you should absolutely take advantage of that. Ultimately, the Roth is the better deal down the road when you retire, but the 401k is better as "forced savings" just to get you into the habit.
Actually I had contributed the max to my 401(k) for several months until I decided that funding my emergency stash was more important and I left in a token deduction. (I turned out to be clairvoyant as my company soon afterward froze their contribution.) But now that I got a bit of a raise, the Roth IRA max is higher, and the company's kicking in funds again, I wasn't sure of which direction to go. Thank you for your advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance