Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 12:44 PM

346 posts, read 549,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
As long as I pay the balances to zero before the statement hits, no ding to your score. As I understand it, the credit card companies report the data to the bureaus soon after the statements are generated.
Exactly! We use our Citi Doublecash card for everything we can. I send a payment in weekly and always make sure we have close to a zero balance on the actual statement (so our total credit utilization stays at 1% or less). The one month we ended up with a statement with a big balance (we moved into a new house and spent a lot on appliances, water softener, etc.) our credit scores took a small hit and didn't bounce back until the following month's zero balance was reported. (We went from 1% total credit utilization to 3% and I think the scores dropped 10-15 points.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 01:14 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,827,939 times
Citi Double Cash is awesome with the 1% cashback upfront and 1% cashback when you make the payment. I also like Discover IT, AMX Blue Cash, Chase Freedom, Capital One QuikSilver and the Upromise MasterCard. These are my favorite cashback cards, especially with Discover and Chase Freedom during the 5% calendars, and AMX with the 5% cashback on all my grocery store shopping.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:21 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
I figured it would report back quickly but if someone did the above and went looking to take out a loan or apply for another credit card in my case they might get denied or get a much higher rate just based on timing. I know credit karma scores aren't 100% correct but one of my scores dropped from 730's to 670's.
I was at 680 paid off a credit card with 80% utilization and it went to 820.

Now I have a couple business cards and put the bulk of my spending on those.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:50 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,739,508 times
Credit cards report to the bureaus about 3 days after payment due date. So if you have a balance of $2000 on a $4000 card and pay off the card a little before the due date, then the credit card will report th balance of zero. Credit cards don't report late payment until 30 days after the due date. So there are people who pay before the 30 day late, but after the report date, so their high balance gets reported, but they don't get a 30 day late.

I read on fico forums that it's best to have a low balance reported of around 5%, instead of a zero balance. A zero balance can look like you never use the card. A low balance looks like you use the card responsibly. Also, some cards skip some months reporting to some bureaus. So you should make sure you have a low balance reporting every month or at least for a few month before you need to apply for credit.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:08 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
One think I don't think a lot of people understand is that a person doesn't have "a credit score". As in, not just one. Your credit score varies from day to day. If they pull the report the day after your credit card payments post, your utilization would be different than if they pull the report the day before the payment posts, and thus, your score could be quite a bit different, only 24 hours apart.

I use about 2-5% of my available credit every month, and then pay it in full before the due date. My credit score, when I refid my house last year, on a day when I was using about 2%, was around 820. If you are in this range, it doesn't really matter what day they pull the report. But if you need a 760 for your interest rate on your mortgage, and your score is hovering between a 750 and 775, and you are carrying 20% utilization on your credit cards monthly, then what day they pull the report compared to your habits for the previous few weeks could make a huge difference.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:29 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,739,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
One think I don't think a lot of people understand is that a person doesn't have "a credit score". As in, not just one. Your credit score varies from day to day. If they pull the report the day after your credit card payments post, your utilization would be different than if they pull the report the day before the payment posts, and thus, your score could be quite a bit different, only 24 hours apart.

I use about 2-5% of my available credit every month, and then pay it in full before the due date. My credit score, when I refid my house last year, on a day when I was using about 2%, was around 820. If you are in this range, it doesn't really matter what day they pull the report. But if you need a 760 for your interest rate on your mortgage, and your score is hovering between a 750 and 775, and you are carrying 20% utilization on your credit cards monthly, then what day they pull the report compared to your habits for the previous few weeks could make a huge difference.
This post is mostly true, except that it only matters what your balance is on the one day of the month that the credit card reports the balance. Every day of the month your credit card balance can be different, but the credit reporting bureau only knows what the balance is on the one day of the month that they get the info sent in from the credit card company.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:35 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Credit cards report to the bureaus about 3 days after payment due date. So if you have a balance of $2000 on a $4000 card and pay off the card a little before the due date, then the credit card will report th balance of zero. Credit cards don't report late payment until 30 days after the due date. So there are people who pay before the 30 day late, but after the report date, so their high balance gets reported, but they don't get a 30 day late.

I read on fico forums that it's best to have a low balance reported of around 5%, instead of a zero balance. A zero balance can look like you never use the card. A low balance looks like you use the card responsibly. Also, some cards skip some months reporting to some bureaus. So you should make sure you have a low balance reporting every month or at least for a few month before you need to apply for credit.
I think you are better off not paying interest. You might want to look at your credit report to see if the poster was correct. I think you will find they were not.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:18 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I wonder if this is the answer, although I've been using my credit cards.

Here's my story: I've had an excellent credit score for a long time. I get scores from Discover, Citi and Capital One each month on my statement, whether or not I use the card. I realize that sometimes those scores aren't up-to-date or exact, but they give me a general idea of what my score is, since it fluctuates from month to month. I never cared if the scores varied a little, even if there was a 20 or 30 point difference, as long as my score was over 800. However, maybe they weren't real in the first place.

This is what happened. Discover has been reporting the same score for almost a year and now it's 37 points lower this month. Also, Citi was reporting a very high score and now that's dropped by 31 points. I haven't checked my credit report in years, but tonight I went to the TransUnion site, and there's nothing out of the ordinary. All my accounts are paid in full and there's no derogatory credit or late payments. I am holding off checking the other 2 bureaus.

I just can't think of anything that would lower my score except that the TransUnion report showed a zero balance on every card. I use a credit card all the time to buy groceries and gas, but I pay it off before the statement is generated. However, in the past that increased my score, so I'm puzzled. Maybe next month my score will go back up, but a drop of over 37 points is worrisome.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:55 AM

8,410 posts, read 4,571,146 times
It could be bucketing. FICO uses "buckets" to group people with similar data. The average age of your accounts (or some other factor) may have changed and sent you to a new bucket. You might have been at the top of your old bucket but now you are in the bottom of the new one (compared to everyone else in that bucket).

If that's the case, no big deal. You have more room to "grow" now in your new bucket.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:46 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
I think Credit Karma gives too much weight to credit utilization. I'm at something like 65% and CK really dings me for that, estimating my score at 645. But Chase reports my score every month and they say it is 731. Not sure who is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance