Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 10:35 AM

531 posts, read 1,139,393 times

Advertisements

Denver
$70,000/yr
$100K +/- (depending on what the house's value is)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 10:39 AM

10 posts, read 7,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
I work in the construction industry, oil, chemical, power, etc. I'm not saying what I do on a board full of people wanting a new path in life. Most could never handle what I did to get here or what I do now, but still.

My 80 hr work weeks consist of 12's m-f, and 10's on the weekend. Every other Sunday off, sometimes every third. While 80's is rare. 50-60 it typical bare minimum standard for the industry.

My fiancé doesn't work so I have nothing else to do which makes the work weeks easier. No cooking, cleaning, laundry, errands, shopping, etc. she wakes up when I do and makes breakfast. We still go to the gym 4 days a week, out on the weekends, etc.

I've done 1099 but this is W2. They hire me for a set duration of time, sometimes can last longer or shorter. I get free blue cross blue shield health insurance, matching 401k vested from day 1, $500/mo trip home allowance, per diem, etc.
I explained my process below but you are right most people cannot handle anything of significant value but feel as they deserve the world.

Even when I do run into other individuals of wealth I begin to immediately question their mind state. I work 24hrs a day 365. People don't understand I cannot tell you the last time I had an off day. I don't spend much time with family outside of my uncle who is the owner of our company but I recognize the sacrifices I must place to get to the levels of business that I want to be in.

Most people would dream to be at a high level financially. I guess my goal now that I've reached a comfortable level is to actually be on the Forbes billionaire list. That would make me happy and taking our organization to become a household recognizable brand. Instead of having all these offices I want skyscrapers built with our company name on it. These are the goals I look forward.

Even if I was a regular or normal 23 year old male there is no way I would waste my 20s by being stupid. I would have 2-3 jobs working around finance. Being around the money is always a great place to be in my opinion. I don't understand people that take career paths that are secondary to the money, secondary to the sources of income that truly make this world turn.

For instance if I have electronics, but the economy is bad and no one can afford to purchase my electronics, or house or car, then I'm stuck sitting with that item until the economy recovers. Sometimes that can be months or years stuck with something that you can't sell because your waiting for the economy to recover.

In my oil trading we make capital whether the prices of oil go up or down. We are in the mecca of capital but people choose career paths that depend on other people for capital. That I don't understand. We could never have an investment partner ever again and we'd still have our grandchildren s grandchildren set for life.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:56 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,615,979 times
Quote:
And? Is there a point you're trying to make with this statement?

Everything I just mentioned in that post is basic investing 101.

You're right, there's more than just savings, but anyone with a 3rd grade education could learn about what I just posted. If they can't, then they are probably unable to make enough money worth explaining it to anyways..
I think growing money is a good thing. Not sure what your point is.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:56 AM

816 posts, read 960,172 times
Just a bit curious, how people did you have to beat to get your coveted job?

Old 10-05-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramax666 View Post
From my experience on this forum, You would find a lot of folks with a pretty solid work ethic. You may be surprised how much they could handle. One of the reasons I am here is to hear others' financial journeys. People make it in many different ways.
Agree with this 100 percent. Had no idea when I was young that I would end up doing what I'm doing now, but it sure has paid off for us.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeFunds View Post
Just joined the thread.

I'm 23.

I work for a hedge fund manager (My Uncle). I make about $300k a year off of commission of a completed transaction. I am based out of FL. I don't really "live" anywhere as my need to travel for business is so extensive. I can never justify having a home or paying rent for a place that I won't sleep at for more than about 3 months total throughout the year. As I'm in and out of the country routinely to different cities and countries in the world. Wake up in FL, spend a week in Cali, spend a month in Brazil, few weeks in the Islands, then off to Europe or Asia. It can be exhausting!!!

We manage about $1.6 billion at our FL office with offices in many other U.S. cities and cities throughout the world. I fly to check on our different offices and gain new potential partners. We trade oil and though I'm not the trader I bring in clients to invest and my uncle gives me about 10% of the transaction. 1 million dollar deal = 100k check for me. 100k deal = 10k check for me.

Our minimum investment requirement is $200k. I have learned to never judge people in this finance world. At one office that we have our janitor came in one day to sweep the floors and asked me what we do. I showed and explained it to him. The next day he wired $250k into a trading account and is still one of our partners today! The damn janitor!

So I never judge folks when I see them anymore you never know how much capital an individual is working with.
I think what you say is true because so many don't want their financial business out there for everyone to know about. People judge others based what they know about what you have or don't. We had a friend ask to borrow a large sum of money once because my husband trusted him with info he shouldn't have. It would have been money I would never see again. Because of stuff like that what we make and have is on a need to know basis.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:20 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,351,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramax666 View Post
Just a bit curious, how people did you have to beat to get your coveted job?
If his uncle was the owner probably none lol

Old 10-05-2015, 09:37 PM

97 posts, read 151,405 times
Quote:
I work in the construction industry, oil, chemical, power, etc. I'm not saying what I do on a board full of people wanting a new path in life. Most could never handle what I did to get here or what I do now, but still.

My 80 hr work weeks consist of 12's m-f, and 10's on the weekend. Every other Sunday off, sometimes every third. While 80's is rare. 50-60 it typical bare minimum standard for the industry.

My fiancé doesn't work so I have nothing else to do which makes the work weeks easier. No cooking, cleaning, laundry, errands, shopping, etc. she wakes up when I do and makes breakfast. We still go to the gym 4 days a week, out on the weekends, etc.

I've done 1099 but this is W2. They hire me for a set duration of time, sometimes can last longer or shorter. I get free blue cross blue shield health insurance, matching 401k vested from day 1, $500/mo trip home allowance, per diem, etc.
Sounds like you are a oil well/line welder. A specialized welding field...

Old 10-06-2015, 05:05 AM

39 posts, read 40,725 times
NJ
270k/yr
1.3m NW

Old 10-06-2015, 09:58 AM

816 posts, read 960,172 times
Feeling jobless this morning. Here is a scatter plot of the data on this thread...Ommitted some data points.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance