Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:17 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
That's dangerous and certainly not always true. Ps where are you getting 180k on 2mm?
It is a pretty safe generality. Tax sheltered accounts generally mean you pay less in taxes.

That 1 is a typo. Removed. 80k at 4% draw down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 08:30 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
It is a pretty safe generality. Tax sheltered accounts generally mean you pay less in taxes.

Today.

Theoretically a couple making 70k and saving 20-25k/yr in tax sheltered accounts for 35-40 years may end up paying more in taxes when they retire than they would have if they had chosen a Roth. I typically work under the idea that if your federal tax rates are 25% or higher tax sheltered accounts are the way to go. If it is lower than 25% Roth's are the better bet.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:33 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:

It's not generally safe assumption, generally people don't understand our marginal taxation system

Old 09-24-2015, 08:58 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
you may pay less in taxes at the moment but much more in taxes in retirement by taking the deduction up front rather than doing the roth . boy if i could have done roths through my working career had they existed i would be on easy street today tax wise .

not getting ss taxed alone is enormous as a by product of having roths . no rmds and medicare surcharges is another .

Old 09-24-2015, 09:04 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Today.

Theoretically a couple making 70k and saving 20-25k/yr in tax sheltered accounts for 35-40 years may end up paying more in taxes when they retire than they would have if they had chosen a Roth. I typically work under the idea that if your federal tax rates are 25% or higher tax sheltered accounts are the way to go. If it is lower than 25% Roth's are the better bet.
Roth is also a tax sheltered account. Really up to the individuals income projections to decide where to defer taxes. I am a fan of Roth's for my personal situation.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:07 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you may pay less in taxes at the moment but much more in taxes in retirement by taking the deduction up front rather than doing the roth . boy if i could have done roths through my working career had they existed i would be on easy street today tax wise .

not getting ss taxed alone is enormous as a by product of having roths . no rmds and medicare surcharges is another .
Yep. I discovered all of this a couple of months ago. Fortunately, I'm 57 and have 8 years beginning January 1 to push my money to a Roth 401(k) instead of a conventional 401(k). I wish I'd known.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:54 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,828,742 times
Quote:
It will be really hard to get there without equities IMO
Brings me back to the original debate, why is that? Why are stocks presented as this guaranteed way to make more money than Long Term CDs, when they aren't? I have Long Term CDs that are going to give me 3.5% - 5% over the next 30 years considering an eventual Fed Funds Rate increase. Balanced Funds will be about 5% - 7%. Yes, the Balanced Funds "should" provide more, but that's not a guarantee, so why is it being presented LIKE a guarantee here?

Quote:
Sales if you are good at it can get you to the 100-200k area on in to the millions . Selling insurance, cars, logistics etc

Sales or a lot more responsibility and managing people.
I'm in Sales right now and I'm considered to be one of the "best tier" guys in the industry and again, I'm topping out at $70k on average with EXTREME hardache in the process. Most guys aren't making enough to pay rent and drop out of it after a short period of time.

So what type of sales positions are we talking about here? I was looking at Medical Device and Medical Capital Equipment as I keep hearing they make a lot of money, but getting into that damn industry is like pulling elephant's teeth.

I just wish people would provide more specifics on hot industries, better markets, etc. for us ambitious folks to get into instead of just telling us how stupid we are for only planning to have $1 million at retirement when for me to even get to that $1 million...it's going to take a LOT of sacrifice.

Honestly, I might not even make it to my 60's with the level of stress I go through right now with my current Sales position. The stress levels are extremely high and I'm talking wanting to jump off a bridge high (that's literally, not figuratively).

Old 09-24-2015, 10:00 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
Roth is also a tax sheltered account. Really up to the individuals income projections to decide where to defer taxes. I am a fan of Roth's for my personal situation.
The way you worded it made it sound like you were only referring to tax deferred accounts like 401ks.

Still if you plan to retire with an income of less than 85k/yr there is no difference between a Roth and a brokerage account as long term capital gains in brokerage accounts aren't taxed unless your AGI exceeds 74k (for a couple).

Old 09-24-2015, 10:09 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Brings me back to the original debate, why is that? Why are stocks presented as this guaranteed way to make more money than Long Term CDs, when they aren't? I have Long Term CDs that are going to give me 3.5% - 5% over the next 30 years considering an eventual Fed Funds Rate increase. Balanced Funds will be about 5% - 7%. Yes, the Balanced Funds "should" provide more, but that's not a guarantee, so why is it being presented LIKE a guarantee here?

Stocks aren't guaranteed but on 70k getting to 5-10mm isn't going to happen with CDs

Quote:
I'm in Sales right now and I'm considered to be one of the "best tier" guys in the industry and again, I'm topping out at $70k on average with EXTREME hardache in the process. Most guys aren't making enough to pay rent and drop out of it after a short period of time.

So what type of sales positions are we talking about here? I was looking at Medical Device and Medical Capital Equipment as I keep hearing they make a lot of money, but getting into that damn industry is like pulling elephant's teeth.

I just wish people would provide more specifics on hot industries, better markets, etc. for us ambitious folks to get into instead of just telling us how stupid we are for only planning to have $1 million at retirement when for me to even get to that $1 million...it's going to take a LOT of sacrifice.

Honestly, I might not even make it to my 60's with the level of stress I go through right now with my current Sales position. The stress levels are extremely high and I'm talking wanting to jump off a bridge high (that's literally, not figuratively).

Are you salary plus commission or commission only? What's limiting your topside income? Looking for the "hot" industry is going about it wrong. Find a sales role in an area you like, that has uncapped compensation and build your business. I don't know of a way to make 100-200k stress free

Old 09-24-2015, 10:14 AM
fzx

399 posts, read 511,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yep. I discovered all of this a couple of months ago. Fortunately, I'm 57 and have 8 years beginning January 1 to push my money to a Roth 401(k) instead of a conventional 401(k). I wish I'd known.
I understand your rational to max roth account first. However, 401K is still the second best option here in our case which trims our AGI by $54K per year. If we retire by 60, our income will drop by 180Ks until we reach 70 while my pension will still be too high to claim any government breaks. 180x10=1.8MM. In addition, we intend to move to a low tax state which should save us another 6%. That is 10K-20K/year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance