Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 01:22 PM

161 posts, read 239,020 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some info on student loan debt.

My wife is holding a 12k federal loan at 4% and a private loan 9k that is currently at 9%.

I was curious what options there are available to her to get that 9% loan refinanced to a better term.

She has told be basically our options are limited on the private loan to just personal loans which even with 800+ credit score i seem to only find loans in the same 8-9% range.
Are there other options available to either A combine these two to one loan that still under 4% or B get the higher rate one down lower?

My only thought and I dont really wanna do this is to refinance our home loan to pull out enough to pay that high interest loan off. But this seems like an expensive route to go just to pay off the one loan.

My last option and the one I am leaning towards if we cant find a way to refinance this loan to a lower rate would be to cut back on our 401k next year and use that to go really hard at the bill and pay it off by the end of the year.

Thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 01:46 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,399,171 times
On the federal side my s/o just took a look at refinancing to save a few bucks. Rate quoted on a variable rate loan from SOFI was 4.2%. Likely not taking the offer, not low enough with a variable rate.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:52 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,241,044 times
Yes I like the last option...stop all spending and pay off the loan ASAP. Have a garage sale or use craigslist. You can drop the investing to the company match or just stop all together. IMO its better than taking out a loan. How long would it take to pay it off?

Old 10-19-2015, 02:01 PM

1,863 posts, read 2,205,937 times
We need more information like your monthly income after taxes, other debt balances with interest rates, investment contributions, and general expenditures. However without those figures present, I would give you general advice to refinance the private loan to an outfit like SoFi and focus on paying that off first. The federal loan should be at a fixed rate and I'll bet it's at a rate close to your mortgage…both of which are tax deductible if you're under that $160K combined annual income.

Make sure there are no prepayment penalties and that any extra payment you send are to pay down the principal of the balance and not to advance the due date. This could save you a couple thousand dollars in interest payments over the term of the loan. I would not advise consolidating the two loans as keeping them separate gives you more flexibility in repayment options.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:21 PM

18,494 posts, read 15,471,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliman91 View Post
I am looking for some info on student loan debt.

My wife is holding a 12k federal loan at 4% and a private loan 9k that is currently at 9%.

I was curious what options there are available to her to get that 9% loan refinanced to a better term.

She has told be basically our options are limited on the private loan to just personal loans which even with 800+ credit score i seem to only find loans in the same 8-9% range.
Are there other options available to either A combine these two to one loan that still under 4% or B get the higher rate one down lower?

My only thought and I dont really wanna do this is to refinance our home loan to pull out enough to pay that high interest loan off. But this seems like an expensive route to go just to pay off the one loan.

My last option and the one I am leaning towards if we cant find a way to refinance this loan to a lower rate would be to cut back on our 401k next year and use that to go really hard at the bill and pay it off by the end of the year.

Thought?
How much can you reduce the 401k contribution without losing any employer match? If not quite $9k, maybe you can make up the gap by selling old stuff and transferring to a 0% CC. Or at a higher income, just buckle down for a few frugal months and knock it out.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:21 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,600,617 times
Have you checked into Sofi?

https://www.sofi.com/

Sofi has been featured on Mr. Money Mustache, which is the only reason I have heard of them.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
We need more information like your monthly income after taxes, other debt balances with interest rates, investment contributions, and general expenditures. However without those figures present, I would give you general advice to refinance the private loan to an outfit like SoFi and focus on paying that off first. The federal loan should be at a fixed rate and I'll bet it's at a rate close to your mortgageā€¦both of which are tax deductible if you're under that $160K combined annual income.

Make sure there are no prepayment penalties and that any extra payment you send are to pay down the principal of the balance and not to advance the due date. This could save you a couple thousand dollars in interest payments over the term of the loan. I would not advise consolidating the two loans as keeping them separate gives you more flexibility in repayment options.
We were under that threshold until last year. Last year combined we were over. My income tripled last year after starting my own business and while slightly down this year we should be in that ballpark(150k-170k) We spent the last 1.5 years paying down cc and fully funding our 401k and my Simple and IRA. Now our last debt is her student loans.
I looked at the SoFi I dont think she can qualify for it. She went to Sanford Brown and I dont beleive they are a 4 year accredited school.
It cant hurt to contact them and see though.

Thanks

Old 10-20-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliman91 View Post
We were under that threshold until last year. Last year combined we were over. My income tripled last year after starting my own business and while slightly down this year we should be in that ballpark(150k-170k) We spent the last 1.5 years paying down cc and fully funding our 401k and my Simple and IRA. Now our last debt is her student loans.
I looked at the SoFi I dont think she can qualify for it. She went to Sanford Brown and I dont beleive they are a 4 year accredited school.
It cant hurt to contact them and see though.

Thanks
You make 150K and you are worried about this...pay that **** off.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:12 AM

Yes but its not like I've been making 150k for years this is a recent bump in pay. After fully funding both our retirements last year and should this year along with paying off all debt except for house and student loans. We also worked on building up a emergency fund.
Now this is out final step which we are addressing now.
Since my business is new and very small I think I need a larger emergency fund then most. So that has been our focus.
I dont want to touch the emergency fund at all.
I have my wife contacting the Sofi today to find out if there are options available for us.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:20 AM

I would pay the 9K loan off in 3 months - 3K a month...stop doing all that other stuff for 3 months.

Therefore the interest doesnt really matter that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance