Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 03:12 PM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

60% of all employers other then mom and pop stores now use background and credit checks as a combo to make a selection .

the company i retired from does it for all levels of employment .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-24-2015 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Most employers do not do a credit check that is more for the corporate type jobs for the most part. Most jobs a simple 3 previous employers will give the employer the information they need. They will find out who is really responsible straight from the horses mouth. Having great credit doesn't mean the person is the one paying his bills. His mommy and daddy, girlfriend or wife could have paid his bills that's why he has great credit.

I've been in the skilled trades most of my life and the contractors simply want to know your previous work history and skills no fluff of if you pay your best buy credit card on time every month. Also lots of people choose not to use credit at all, either they have cash or they simply don't get it.

I personally don't use credit myself and often times I have to rent large equipment. I simply put down a cash deposit same when I rent a car which is rare. I just did it to rent a.moving truck also. Credit is for suckers in my opinion.
great , the rest of us with stellar credit like being suckers .

remember - nothing in life is ever a problem until it's a problem .

Old 10-25-2015, 10:19 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
conclusion . don't commit financial suicide and keep your credit cherry and don't put a question mark over your head ..

??? ???

How does a low earner protect against disability and total loss of income?

Old 10-25-2015, 10:28 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ???

Your numerous questions and retorts never actually address the fact that you haven't taken responsibility for remaining a min wage worker for decades. You can come up with a million questions but in reality your problem is being a lifer in the min wage world.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Your numerous questions and retorts never actually address the fact that you haven't taken responsibility for remaining a min wage worker for decades. You can come up with a million questions but in reality your problem is being a lifer in the min wage world.

??? ???

I don't have marketable job skills and can't afford the education required for what I want to do. (Little demand for self-trained lawyers and accountants these days, not to mention legal issues.)

Old 10-25-2015, 02:37 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it just means they have not run in to a situation YET where it mattered enough but given enough time usually you will hit a point where you are being judged for something that does not go the way you hoped . ..

who ever thought i would be interested in taking a mortgage in retirement ? not us , we pay cash for everything but at these rates if we decide to buy a mortgage is a far better idea .

in fact as of this year you can't even take an equity loan anymore without meeting a credit check and income requirements .

in the age of accessible information judgments on who you are as a person are made very impersonally via all these reports .
Yep, good points.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
??? ???

By having the drive ,determination , creativity and willingness to not want to be a low wage earner in the first place.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:47 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You can come up with a million questions but in reality your problem is being a lifer in the min wage world.
Correct. And this fact is very likely a symptom of a lot of other personal issues.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:04 PM

147 posts, read 316,231 times
Quote:
??? ???

I don't have marketable job skills and can't afford the education required for what I want to do. (Little demand for self-trained lawyers and accountants these days, not to mention legal issues.)
That's why student loans exist along with night classes at colleges. You may even qualify for grants to attend college. Does your current employer offer any kind of training classes in-house? Low-wage employment is not supposed to be a way of life as that type of employment was originally designed for people entering the workforce or for those needing to start over in the working world.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltDragon View Post
That's why student loans exist along with night classes at colleges. You may even qualify for grants to attend college. Does your current employer offer any kind of training classes in-house? Low-wage employment is not supposed to be a way of life as that type of employment was originally designed for people entering the workforce or for those needing to start over in the working world.

Ah, you don't know my history on this board. Student loans helped me get a useless liberal arts degree - the degree became useless when I couldn't afford to go to law school and was unwilling to borrow up to my eyeballs to do so - and eventually I defaulted, so today I'm paying 10% of my poverty level income toward repaying those loans, while ineligible for additional loans or for any financial aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance