Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 02:44 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times

Advertisements

Yes, when they make those kinds of choices going against advice and then turn to you asking for help when things don't work out. had this situation with my former best friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 03:29 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Honestly, I end up pulling away from them. Unfortunately, at least in my world, finances and consumerism is a big part of life and I have little in common with those that make these kinds of choices. Most of the time its a gradual parting, but I had a friend (she befriended me, not the other way around) that I grew really sick and tired of and it didn't end gracefully, let's just put it that way. She was over the top though.. just very, very extreme...

Old 11-03-2015, 04:06 PM

467 posts, read 778,811 times
wish i could take over , or even take a look at , some friends and family finances.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:10 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3supraholic View Post
My sister is pregnant with her 3rd child (being induced today) up to her neck in medical bills from the second child.

She is not working and her husband and her family just moved into our parents house to help them out since she is not working and child care would crush them.

within the first month of living with my parents, her husbands car was totaled by a drunk driver while it was parked on the street. They went out an leased a top of the line Honda minivan (leather nav etc.) the lease is $500 per month!!! She started driving it and her husband started driving the 2013 ford that she pays $550 a month for with 2 years left on the loan.

so now they have $1050 in car payments.

But her husband is now commuting for work and the ford is a bit of a gas hog so he went and traded it in for a brand new Hyundai Senota ( fully loaded)

Payments are the same so they are still at 1050 in car payments alone.

They had 2 opportunities to get into something affordable and it drives me crazy!

Edit: BTW My wife and I make over 100k/year combined yet we drive 15 year old cars and my wife commutes to 60 miles to work each way.
We keep 1 spare 20 year old lexus as a back up that we rarely ever use. The only use it really ever got from us is when i tore my Achilles and couldn't drive my manual trans
They're not asking you for help, are they?

Old 11-03-2015, 05:06 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3supraholic View Post
I understand its not my business but as family I hate to see it happen. I keep my mouth shut about it but its hard.
Bluntly -- if you open your mouth, you may end up with every one ticked at you. If someone is going to be able to broach this subject, it will have to be your parents, as they are living under their roof.

But...this sister learned this behavior some where...might it be your parents?

Yeah...just keep quiet, until they ask for help... And if they do, go slow

Old 11-03-2015, 05:14 PM

89 posts, read 113,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
They're not asking you for help, are they?
They complain a lot to me, we watch the kids for them frequently. We spoil the kids but we spoil the kids because we love them not because they ask.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:21 PM

89 posts, read 113,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

But...this sister learned this behavior some where...might it be your parents?

I don't think so, my mom is a spender but she makes the money to support it. but she isnt flashy or anything. My parents keep their cars usually at least 8-10 years..

I think she gets it from an aunt of ours whom she is really close to and she is very materialistic and is not careful with he money.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:35 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
We had a bad one in my family and looking back some of use should have been more insistent about things. We tried as hard as you can with a grown adult, without things ending up in a fight. We knew there were bad decisions being made but we didn't know how bad until a few years later and it effected everyone.

You don't know what you don't know, but it is frustrating.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:00 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,908 times
Yeap, I totally understand your position. My brother borrowed over 50k from my parents to buy a house, help him start his business, pay his credit cards, etc. If my parents refuse, he makes them feel guilty for not helping his disabled daughter have a better life. And the help never last with him. He continued to make bad financial decisions that cost him the house, his business, accrue more debt, etc.

It's hard to keep quiet. All I could do is talk to my parents and try to persuade them to stop helping him. At the same time, he uses their grand daughter as leverage. After awhile, I gave up and stopped trying to help my parents. By this point, my brother and I have no relationship. I don't see him as family anymore. Sadly, when people who make bad decisions continue to do so and drags innocent people down with them, all you can do is stay away from them and let kharma handle the rest. Your love for your family cannot help them.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:25 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
It does bother me to a certain extent. Unfortunately some close friends and family will guilt trip you into a loan if they can manage to persuade you.

When it comes to close family, their financial blunders can impact your future inheritance. Like some of the previous stories have mentioned, siblings have borrowed from or sponged from parents. Most never pay it back and your inheritance becomes a lot smaller. Unfortunately they don't see it that way and expect the same amount as you when the time comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance