Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 06:01 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times

Advertisements

Check your records for a similar charge exactly one year previously. Sometimes you sign up for an online service and forget there is a recurring charge until you cancel. For me it was Angie's list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 01:20 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'd be finding a new bank for a CC.

What happens when BofA denies that $800 fraudulent charge because someone has your name, address and CC number ?

You've been hacked my friend. Cancel the card and find a new bank.
I cancelled the card within minutes of first seeing the charge. I know it was a hack because the same day I got a statement for another credit card I have with a different bank that had a fraudulent charge for $25 with the same characteristics - a person's name with an out of state phone number which is a google voice number. No doubt somebody hacked into a database that had my credit card numbers.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:41 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I cancelled the card within minutes of first seeing the charge. I know it was a hack because the same day I got a statement for another credit card I have with a different bank that had a fraudulent charge for $25 with the same characteristics - a person's name with an out of state phone number which is a google voice number. No doubt somebody hacked into a database that had my credit card numbers.
So what happened when you called them today to speak with someone about the fraudulent charges?

Old 11-09-2015, 11:26 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,781 times
bofa sucks. i cancelled my bank account with them that i have had for over 20 years because a few months ago they refused to give me a one time exception on interest charged to my cc. i just got the cc and did not have automatic payments set up. yes, it was my fault that payment was late but i was hoping they would not charge me the <$5 interest charge but they refused. that's their right since i was in the wrong. however, it's also my right to cancel my card + close my bank accounts so i did that.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:36 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,512,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
bofa sucks. i cancelled my bank account with them that i have had for over 20 years because a few months ago they refused to give me a one time exception on interest charged to my cc. i just got the cc and did not have automatic payments set up. yes, it was my fault that payment was late but i was hoping they would not charge me the <$5 interest charge but they refused. that's their right since i was in the wrong. however, it's also my right to cancel my card + close my bank accounts so i did that.
Yeah, bofa does suck. Add Wells Fargo, Citi, and some small regional banks to the suck list as well.

These banks are known for ripping the customer off on things like a $15 monthly service charge on a checking account(Wells Fargo). That defeats the purpose of trying to save money.lol.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:35 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Yeah, bofa does suck. Add Wells Fargo, Citi, and some small regional banks to the suck list as well.

These banks are known for ripping the customer off on things like a $15 monthly service charge on a checking account(Wells Fargo). That defeats the purpose of trying to save money.lol.

I just changed to Wells Fargo as I had another bank in another state, and it's not in Florida. I already don't care for Wells Fargo at all, at least where I live. I'm not impressed with them on the phone either, although I had one employee that was very helpful. I think I'd drop Wells Fargo already, its just it's a pain changing Direct Deposits to another bank. Plus I don't know what banks are any better in this day and age. Your correct most banks are on the suck list. I use to find Credit Unions were a good substitute for banks. However I'm finding even Credit Unions are getting more restrictive. They don't seem to be as cost effective, a way of doing banking any more.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:27 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
The Op says they were only open Mon-Fri, and hasn't said what their final disposition was after the OP contacted them Mon-Fri.Makes me wonder with no update if it was handled to the OP's satisfaction.

They HAVE to investigate any claimed fraudulent charges BUT most cards say 'the cardholder is responsible for up to $50 of claimed fraudulent charges'. The thieves know that, so the OP could still be on the hook.

The OP should change ALL cards for new numbers in case a database WAS hacked with all his card numbers in it.

I deal with Chase. They have even contacted e to ask "did you charge two plane tickets to Tahiti?" NO! I WISH! The card has been hacked several times, and they have ALWAYS been helpful.I have a second pays-you-back card with them,,, bran new and it was fraudulently charged and they have handled it expeditiously.
I would recommend them for that...alone.

I also like dealing with my local CU, They will shut down a card for any outside physical transaction unless you have notified them you are going out of town.

Unfortunately these days, the customer is always WRONG until proven right.

I get offers from BOA, CITI, and shred them. I won't deal with them. I DO have a card that came from WF along with the financing on a furnace for a low limit. I have NEVER had any problems with WF.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:17 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Here's the update. BofA sent a second letter a day after the first one. The second letter said I was credited with the disputed amount and the case was closed. There was no explanation why they sent two letters a day apart with totally different findings. I called BofA to confirm the second letter was the final resolution and they said yes but couldn't explain why the first letter was sent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance