Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 04:00 PM

5 posts, read 15,083 times

Advertisements

I posted earlier....I was actually 2 months behind totaling $416. I was unaware of this due to I thought my husband had been paying this, but as soon as I found out I immediately sent in the $416 Priority Mail. The creditor is taking me to court for the entire balance to be paid which is $7000. I do not have any means to pay this...cannot get financed for anything else right now. What can happen when I go to court? Do you think this can be resolved with the creditor without going to court? Confused as to what to do...Any help would be much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 04:07 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primfixins31 View Post
I posted earlier....I was actually 2 months behind totaling $416. I was unaware of this due to I thought my husband had been paying this, but as soon as I found out I immediately sent in the $416 Priority Mail. The creditor is taking me to court for the entire balance to be paid which is $7000. I do not have any means to pay this...cannot get financed for anything else right now. What can happen when I go to court? Do you think this can be resolved with the creditor without going to court? Confused as to what to do...Any help would be much appreciated!!!
You can always call to discuss, but pretty much at court they will get a judgment from you, and then you'd make payments on the judgment.. Dont lose sleep over it, but do show up for court and show the judge the situation and the creditor, and then point out that you are not behind on the court date.

You can try to bring up that the creditor is suing for the total owed, but that you are not behind, which might work, depending on what type of debt it is, and if there is a call on the debt if you miss x payments.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:03 AM

673 posts, read 2,716,772 times
You might check your credit card agreement to see if the entire balance can be demanded (and, if so, under what conditions). By all means, call the creditor and try to make an arrangement - especially since you're up to date. But it may not be amenable if you've been late in the past. If your credit is OK, you could try to get a balance transfer to another card or get a consolidation loan. You could pay a lawyer for an hour of time to make a call to try to settle this.

Collecting a judgement is up to the creditor who receives it. And usually a creditor will try to collect it all at once. Try Googling "how to collect a judgement in <your state>" to find out what recourses exist to your creditor if granted a judgement. Some assets cannot be accessed to satisfy a judgement.

But you really want to avoid a judgement if possible. You don't want to deal with further hassle - like a lien.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:58 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,554,679 times
I can't imagine a creditor moving forward with legal action if the account is brought current... do they have the right to, generally yes.... will they, generally no... Legal action is expensive if they have someone making a voluntary/reasonable repayment.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:32 PM

428 posts, read 2,440,060 times
Did they take the $416?
It doesn't seem that they could do so, and take you to court also.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:13 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,607 times
If this is a credit card bill and you were only 2 months past due, then it's a collector bluffing to scare the heck out of you and it's working. You are in default once you pass 30 days late, but if you sent the money, they are not going to come after you for the full balance. I am assuming that your statement was true about only 2 mos past due. Maybe there is more to this story. It will be months before they actually tried to sue you. Call a credit counseling agency and get on a debt mgmt plan if you have to. that will put you on a repayment plan if you cannot come to an agreement directly with the bank. that way you avoid any further legal action and possible judgment/garnishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance