Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 06:48 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
1 weeks pay...its lame.
I'll take it off your hands... we get zero Christmas bonus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 06:50 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
1 weeks pay...its lame.
Pass it on then...

No bonus here....

Old 11-21-2015, 09:36 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
My husband has worked for 2 (large high tech) companies that distribute performance based bonuses. One was distributed in September... this one... not sure actually, it has been tied into his monthly paycheck...

You're wonderful for thinking of this... I want to work for you!

I think it's a great idea to distribute them beforehand, if they're big enough to make a huge difference.. I mean like, corporate bonuses are large enough to do remodels or book vacations (or invest). I got a bonus when I worked at a bakery in college...we also got it at the holiday party, but it wasn't very much... just a couple hundred extra.. enough to go Christmas shopping, but not enough to do some serious planning with. I think the more you give, the more consideration you ought to give to the time of year.. if it's enough to travel on, then maybe earlier is better.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:39 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,415 times

Sorry guys...it was kind of a joke...but I forgot this is the internet.

Merry Xmas!

Old 11-21-2015, 11:51 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
1 weeks pay...its lame.

Even if you meant it as a joke it was not funny.

I worked fulltime, in a professional job, for 35 years and never even once received a bonus (no one did).

I stand corrected. Sometimes on the day before Christmas vacation we could leave a half hour early "to beat the traffic".

Old 11-21-2015, 11:54 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
My daughter told me she moved her bonus to tax time, originally it was going to be a Xmas bonus. She owns her own company.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:23 PM

846 posts, read 1,881,323 times
I get to pick a gift out of a catalog that is worth around $30. I think it's awesome that my company does this.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:40 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,388 times
Quote:

Sorry guys...it was kind of a joke...but I forgot this is the internet.

Merry Xmas!
LOL! That was a hilarious laughter joke! Way to go.

You totally didn't come off sounding like a self-entitled jerk.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:48 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliman91 View Post
Curious who's getting them and what you are expecting?

Last year, my first year in business, every employee received a check equal to their average check for the year.

I gave them out the last day of work which is the day before Christmas Eve. Is it a better idea to do this a few days before maybe Friday before so they have time to use it on Xmas so does it really matter they should just be happy they are getting a bonus?
This is a hard problem to solve. Very nice of you to give a bonus to each employee but over the years it will probably seem like part of the salary as opposed to a bonus. I think I would redo the bonus program for next year.

Consider the one weeks pay as just part of the cost of the employee. Not a bonus. Ok to give them out when you did. But I would tell the employes about the 1st of December that we are having a good year and you will be able to give everyone a weeks pay to help with Xmas bills. The reasoning I said we are having a good year is you might not be able to afford the bonus some years and you do not want then to expect it as an automatic payment and spend it before you tell them they will get it.

Then consider if you need a bonus plan that pays significant dollars for some employee. Do not consider it as part of the one weeks pay plan.

For example you could have a sales force that you paid a good base salary but a high bonus at year end based on sales. The base salary may not change each year but if sales are going up their compensation should. The idea is you want to reward for performance more than time in the job or just showing up for work.

Good luck with your business and employees.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:01 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,419,967 times
Many years ago the owner of my company gave everyone $500 and announced at at the Christmas party. His hand hurt for weeks with every one shaking it. Next year it was $1,000 and the crowd went nuts. The year after it was $1,000 and he was almost booed. Nice gesture at the holidays but some are never satisfied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance