Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2016, 08:36 AM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What if your rent is so expensive that you can't afford to save...AND you are renting a ROOM?

You're renting too much room?

Work a 2nd job to increase income. Your fixed costs such as the room did not change. You are now better off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 08:51 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
he can't work a 2nd job. he would have to give up all his internet time where he complains about his situation .

if he claims he has a home based business , even though obviously it generates little he gets to stay home .

Old 01-03-2016, 09:10 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
I've often said about wealth distribution, if you divided all of the money in America equally, it wouldn't take very long at all before the former rich would again be wealth, and the former poor would once again be poor..
Just a fact of life...
That's very likely probable, although boy would the economy BOOM for a good while if that theoretically ever happened.

Another interesting sub point is that America, wealthy as it is, could theoretically buy back all of it's personal and public debt any time it wanted to without printing any more money. The cooperation it would take to pull off such a feat would never ever happen though.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:22 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
he can't work a 2nd job. he would have to give up all his internet time where he complains about his situation .

if he claims he has a home based business , even though obviously it generates little he gets to stay home .

GLARE

I can't do a second shift job because I have frequent medical appointments which for some reason are very weekday-daytime-centric. Transportation constraints - no car or license and dependence on bus schedules - get in the way of swing and grave shifts.

Selling online is the perfect work activity since it can be done 24/7 and in any desired time increments. So I can work 2 hours here, 4 hours there, multiple times a day. Auction listings can be created at any time and scheduled to start and end at any time desired.

I have a storage unit with more than 3,000 items (~$12k) but I can't keep everything at home because a bedroom is insufficient to hold it, so it's a major hassle having to move everything around, which slows the selling process.

$200 more for housing would pay for itself by allowing me to ditch the storage unit and keep everything right at home.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
That's very likely probable, although boy would the economy BOOM for a good while if that theoretically ever happened.

Another interesting sub point is that America, wealthy as it is, could theoretically buy back all of it's personal and public debt any time it wanted to without printing any more money. The cooperation it would take to pull off such a feat would never ever happen though.

How would that work and who would pay for it?

Old 01-03-2016, 09:28 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Work a 2nd job to increase income. Your fixed costs such as the room did not change. You are now better off.
The problem with the two retail jobs solution is that so many retail workers are expected to be available for each employer from 8am-9:00pm 7 days a week. So Walmart doesn't want you as an employee if you say that you can't work from 6:00am-11:00am Monday-Friday because you're working the breakfast shift at McDonalds or Starbucks then. And your Starbucks manager doesn't want you working for his or her shop if you can't make it in on this Thursday or next Tuesday morning because Walmart will fire you if you can't make your scheduled hours then. (Spousal Unit has students who work for Walmart and the local stores are apparently awful about refusing to schedule around class times, even when the student has followed policy about working with their manager in advance to allegedly work around education time.)

When an employer advertises 'flexible work hours' these days, it's expected that the employee and not the employer is the one that does all of he flexing.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's why one needs to be very, very careful about taking on a lot of "fixed" expenses when young (including kids, cars, pets, student loans, mortgages, & having your own apartment). Not all can be avoided, but many more can be than people will admit to.

Allowing student loan borrowers with negative ROI to take investment losses would mitigate the pain.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:02 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
GLARE

I can't do a second shift job because I have frequent medical appointments which for some reason are very weekday-daytime-centric. Transportation constraints - no car or license and dependence on bus schedules - get in the way of swing and grave shifts.

Selling online is the perfect work activity since it can be done 24/7 and in any desired time increments. So I can work 2 hours here, 4 hours there, multiple times a day. Auction listings can be created at any time and scheduled to start and end at any time desired.

I have a storage unit with more than 3,000 items (~$12k) but I can't keep everything at home because a bedroom is insufficient to hold it, so it's a major hassle having to move everything around, which slows the selling process.

$200 more for housing would pay for itself by allowing me to ditch the storage unit and keep everything right at home.

You were able to fit at least 3 excuses into that post

Old 01-03-2016, 10:11 AM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The problem with the two retail jobs solution is that so many retail workers are expected to be available for each employer from 8am-9:00pm 7 days a week.
My Wal Greens relative and her colleagues work the same hours every day scheduled. The relative has been 8-4:30 a decade-which would accommodate a 6-10 shift at a nearby mall if she chose, a shift hard to fill.

Malls usually close at either 2 or 6 in bad weather because a large % of employees areon shifts, either 2-6 or 6-10, and DOL in many states requires 4 hours pay once an hourly employee clocks in. That means they work repetitive schedules.

Most retail is not 24/7. Most are open about 12 hours and want p/t, which is why most revolve around 2 or 3 shifts.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:29 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
I want to thank the posters on this thread.
I learned a lot from the different posts here. A couple posters came off as real jerks but they were brutally honest and that was the most help. I appreciate someone who tells it like it is and doesn't sugar coat the message.
I will begin to put some of the suggestions here into practice.
I was just about to post something like you did. There is so much good information on these threads even when they are debating. I'm glad you too also recognize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance