Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 01:59 PM

105,889 posts, read 107,860,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What's so great about mastering school? Mastering school does not mean you will necessarily master life or career.

As I recall, Kiyosaki wrote something to the effect that the wealthy and the CEOs are the B students, not the A students.
a college diploma is today the equivalent of the old high school diploma . it guarantees you nothing as far as the pay of a job . it just opens up the door to mid to low end jobs the way a high school diploma did since without it only the lower end jobs were an option.

today a masters opens up the doors to the mid to upper end jobs but guarantees nothing just like the old college diploma .

to an employer a college degree is a filter . it means you had the ability to learn and to commit , end of story .

a masters is a 2nd level filter that shows even bigger ability to learn and commit . end of story .

that is all the edge they give you and today with more college graduates looking for a job then ever before you need all the edge you can get
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 02:41 PM

24,512 posts, read 18,016,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
a college diploma is today the equivalent of the old high school diploma . it guarantees you nothing as far as the pay of a job . it just opens up the door to mid to low end jobs the way a high school diploma did since without it only the lower end jobs were an option.

today a masters opens up the doors to the mid to upper end jobs but guarantees nothing just like the old college diploma .

to an employer a college degree is a filter . it means you had the ability to learn and to commit , end of story .

a masters is a 2nd level filter that shows even bigger ability to learn and commit . end of story .

that is all the edge they give you and today with more college graduates looking for a job then ever before you need all the edge you can get
It depends on the school and the course of study. A 3rd tier state school? Sure, little better than a high school diploma from 50 years ago. A degree from a highly selective college with a challenging major? You don't need a Master's Degree to be actively recruited by the best employers.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:45 PM

you don't need a masters but it sure helps. anything you can do today in this competitive job market to gain the edge is worth it .

my son went to a 2nd tier law school , hofstra law since we couldn't afford top tier . he was in the top 1% of the school and he started applying to firms . he was originally declined by the manhattan office of the same law firm he is a partner in today because they said they don't recruit from hofstra but if he transfers to nyu or columbia law they will consider him ..

so while deciding whether to transfer he made himself very visible by becoming an editor and writer for a labor law journal at the school .

an article he wrote caught the eye ironically of someone at a different office of the same firm since labor law is all they do . they ended up offering him a summer internship , hired him and 9 years later made partner .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-04-2016 at 03:17 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 02:47 PM

24,512 posts, read 18,016,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What's so great about mastering school? Mastering school does not mean you will necessarily master life or career.

As I recall, Kiyosaki wrote something to the effect that the wealthy and the CEOs are the B students, not the A students.
The first generation wealthy and major corporation CEOs are overachievers. The highest paid people today are in finance. Outfits like Goldman-Sachs recruit only the best and the brightest from the top universities. If you're a B- student from a no-name school, you have no shot at getting hired. Sure, there are plenty of affluent people and executives who partied their way though college and managed to be successful afterwards. That is far more rare now than 50 years ago when you could get your gentleman's C and use your family connections to land your corporate job. Times have changed. The world is extremely competitive.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:55 PM

26,156 posts, read 21,399,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The first generation wealthy and major corporation CEOs are overachievers. The highest paid people today are in finance. Outfits like Goldman-Sachs recruit only the best and the brightest from the top universities. If you're a B- student from a no-name school, you have no shot at getting hired. Sure, there are plenty of affluent people and executives who partied their way though college and managed to be successful afterwards. That is far more rare now than 50 years ago when you could get your gentleman's C and use your family connections to land your corporate job. Times have changed. The world is extremely competitive.
I've spent my entire career working for big wall st firms and I'd take family/connections over any MBA/Masters. I'm not sure what your experience is in the field but connections still rule

Old 01-04-2016, 03:05 PM

for sure .

at my old firm we are always hiring in all positions . we get resume's and walk ins all the time .

most of the employees were either recommended by customers or by people we know .

only the lowest level are usually resumes and walk in's .

Old 01-04-2016, 04:00 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,672,727 times
Quote:
Go walk around any of the elite college campuses in the United States. It's approaching 50% Asian. Most of the elite schools are now practicing reverse discrimination towards Asians. It certainly makes the news all the time with the top California state universities. Since those elite school grads end up being the decision makers in the United States, it's pretty clear that Asians are going to be driving the US economy for the next 50 years.
I think that's a different point. I was only refer to the point that Adian parents hovering around their children. Take for example, Mark Zukerberg's wife, her parents were too busy running the restaurant, they didn't have time hovering. Their daughter was raised by her grandmother who could only speak Chinese, she ended up at Harvard, what I meant to say that you might not need hovering, those that need hovering might not be successful in life, Asian or not.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
It depends on the school and the course of study. A 3rd tier state school? Sure, little better than a high school diploma from 50 years ago. A degree from a highly selective college with a challenging major? You don't need a Master's Degree to be actively recruited by the best employers.
I wouldn't be so sure. I went to third tier state school, my first job out of college, I worked with mostly engineers from MIT. My first boss is now a professor at Princeton in CS.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
This is regional view from the East Coast, not necessary true every where. I'm sure you've heard of the WhatsApp guy, he went to San Jose State, my third tier state school ranks higher in engineering than San Jose State. Same with investment banking. I know some guy who succeeds wildly in this field, is still CEO at a huge hedge fund and he went to a no name school.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:27 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,756,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
I like the floater analogy. I've used "coasting" to describe that type, but it's the same idea.

To think of it a different way, imagine you're thrown into a Quantum Leap type scenario, where you're dropped into the life of a minimum wager. Yes, it would suck, but how long would it take you, knowing what you know now, to get out of that poverty life?

My guess is not very long, if you frequent forums like this.

Nothing in life is guaranteed. Except for the rare few that inherit enough money to live without using their own mind, effort and ambition, everyone ultimately must travel the same road.

Jesus taught, "The poor will always be with you." Aside from Spiritual implications, He may have been stating the obvious: "Poor is relative and some people will always have more money than others." Or, He may have been saying, "Even if everything was redistributed equally, some would quickly make poor decisions and lose everything they had, while others made better decisions and increased what they had."

In my case, I started with less than nothing and had no one to help me change that situation, but, myself. After working a few dead-end jobs with people twice my age, I realized that I could either resign myself to that kind of life ... or figure-out how to change my situation. I'm comfortably retired now and pretty much set for life (and spent most of my career and ministry quite comfortable). But, nothing just magically happened -- it took hard work, determination, intelligent decisions and enough self-ambition to "get out of the minimum wage hole." But, that was my choice, ... just as it is everyone's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance