Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 06:52 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times

Advertisements

No excuses but carelessness. Is there a penalty? How about if I pay them before Dec. 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 07:00 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
It's already December 11.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:25 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Yeah but if I pay it all by Dec 31?

Old 12-11-2015, 08:27 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
It just depends. Estimates are just that. The amount was based on your best guess of what your liability for 2015 would be. Perhaps your liability is less than was estimated.

Is this your estimated quarterly payment which was due Sept 15th? It is late. You can't change that now.

If you have any w-2 income, you may still have time to pay extra withholding on your next payroll check. Unlike quarterly estimates, payroll withholding is deemed to have been paid equally throughout the year.

At any rate, the penalty for underpaying is not a big penalty. It is just interest on the amount underpaid. The interest rate varies, but is quite low at this time.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:14 AM

161 posts, read 240,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
No excuses but carelessness. Is there a penalty? How about if I pay them before Dec. 3
Your quarterly isn't due till Jan 15 so you aren't late. Now if you haven't paid Sept 15 payment that's another story. I would make those ASAP.
Im sure you've gotten a letter from the IRA by now showing the penalties and fees for not paying on time have you not?

Old 12-11-2015, 09:26 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliman91 View Post
Your quarterly isn't due till Jan 15 so you aren't late. Now if you haven't paid Sept 15 payment that's another story. I would make those ASAP.
Im sure you've gotten a letter from the IRA by now showing the penalties and fees for not paying on time have you not?
In my experience, it does not work that way.
Estimates are just estimates. The IRS is not going to send anything, yet alone with penalties and fees, based on one missed estimate.

There is nothing to penalize you for, as no one - even the IRS - knows exactly what the year's tax liability will end up being. That number isn't known until the taxes are done and filed.

The OP can send them now, or with the next installment due mid January. Just make sure the total of all payments is a good approximation!

Old 12-11-2015, 10:05 AM

161 posts, read 240,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
In my experience, it does not work that way.
Estimates are just estimates. The IRS is not going to send anything, yet alone with penalties and fees, based on one missed estimate.

There is nothing to penalize you for, as no one - even the IRS - knows exactly what the year's tax liability will end up being. That number isn't known until the taxes are done and filed.

The OP can send them now, or with the next installment due mid January. Just make sure the total of all payments is a good approximation!
Good point didnt think about that. I am sure once your taxes are done there will be some sort of interest charged for each day your payment was late.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:10 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliman91 View Post
I am sure once your taxes are done there will be some sort of interest charged for each day your payment was late.
Nope; not for a late payment... just for underpayment.

From the IRS site:

"If you did not pay enough tax throughout the year, either through withholding or by making estimated tax payments, you may have to pay a penalty for underpayment of estimated tax. Generally, most taxpayers will avoid this penalty if they owe less than $1,000 in tax after subtracting their withholdings and credits, or if they paid at least 90% of the tax for the current year, or 100% of the tax shown on the return for the prior year, whichever is smaller. "

Old 12-11-2015, 10:30 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Hijacking for one question-- what happens if you overestimate? Do you get the overage back easily?

Old 12-11-2015, 10:35 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Hijacking for one question-- what happens if you overestimate? Do you get the overage back easily?
You adjust on your next quarterly payment, and/or when you file your final Tax Return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance