Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 11:19 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus One View Post
No. I'm living in the only place I've ever known by living with my family. I don't even think they'd let me leave.
Even if I wanted to be a Dallas, Merced, or Eureka slum lord I couldn't.
Sounds like you need to get out and see the world. Wth your limited exposure to life in other areas, maybe you don't fully understand this whole COL thing, you know? And how it relates to the topic of this thread?

Besides, the Bay Area is one of those extreme cases in which many people who want to purchase a home do extend themselves beyond the standard "30% of gross monthly income" (caveat: many, not all!) NYC, LA and others would fall under this exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 11:24 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
No jobs I see.
I thought you hate the Bay Area because of it's abundance of jobs.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:25 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
No. I'm living in the only place I've ever known by living with my family. I don't even think they'd let me leave.
Even if I wanted to be a Dallas, Merced, or Eureka slum lord I couldn't.
Are you an adult? Adults make their own decisions. If you're not an adult yet, please disregard.

It's fine if you want to stay in the bay area. I agree with you that it is a great place to live. But own your decisions; they are yours.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:26 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
I was reading a article that stated that most financial experts and banks feel that your rent or mortgage should be 30% of your monthly gross income which makes no sense. Shouldn't it be 30% of what you bring home after taxes instead of before taxes since the money you are living off of is the Net income?
It evens out. In any case, it's more of a maximum amount that you don't want to exceed. Lower is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
I just checked and my rent is 36% of my monthly gross income and 47% of my net income.
Yikes That's well into the financial danger zone.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Are you an adult? Adults make their own decisions. If you're not an adult yet, please disregard.

It's fine if you want to stay in the bay area. I agree with you that it is a great place to live. But own your decisions; they are yours.
He is still living at home with his mom.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
No jobs I see.
So no one in Oregon is employed? Not one person? Of course there are jobs in Oregon.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:28 PM

403 posts, read 472,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montgomery212 View Post
I actually didn't realize that when people said rent/mortgage should be no more than 30%, they were talking about GROSS. Somehow I always assumed net, and wondered how people made that work long term esp. if they are in a higher COL east coast city. Makes sense that you'd look at gross though because if their net is smaller because they are funding a 401k, have a pension contribution etc. -- those things are savings right off the top.
That's why I don't have 401K yet because I feel like I need a bigger increase to balance everything out. I plan to get 401K in about a year or two once I am out of debt and have a bigger salary.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
He is still living at home with his mom.
But as an adult or a minor?

I understand choosing to stay with your parents into young adulthood to get ahead in a HCOL area. There is no shame in it.

I have relatives in San Mateo and San Carlos. Housing is expensive.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
But as an adult or a minor?

I understand choosing to stay with your parents into young adulthood to get ahead in a HCOL area. There is no shame in it.

I have relatives in San Mateo and San Carlos. Housing is expensive.
I thought he was still in high school but he is not. He is working as a government employee for a few years. So he must be at least 18.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:33 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
The only way I survive is living at home while aggressively saving to grow a brokerage fund. It's pretty miserable especially when I look back and realize that a 1950s family consisting of an electrician, or even a low wage husband/wife could have had their own 1958 mid century modern ranch house with 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms with a green lawn, nice neighbors, kids, 2 cars in their driveway, and the chance to buy a rental property. I will never get the opportunity to live that life. I'll be stuck living at home. The only chance I'd have at living that fantasy is buying a home in the central valley, renting it out, and experiencing it through my tenants. Even dangerous places like Hayward or East Palo Alto aren't attainable.
I sympathize with Bay Area rents and home prices. But you need to take off your rose colored glasses about the standard of living in the 1950s. It wasn't nearly as good as you're making it out to be. People were content with less in those days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance