Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 05:44 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times

Advertisements

I'm in a difficult situation. I try to keep it short.

A friend of mine just died. I currently don't live in the U.S. My friend would always help me if I had to pay something in the U.S. (student loan). I gave him a debit card to an account I created just for this purpose. Whenever I wanted him to deposit money into my account in the U.S. , I deposited the money here and he would go to the ATM in the U.S., get the money, deposit the money into his account, and then send it to me.
He moved to SC 2 years ago or so, but wanted to keep his Chase account. Since there's no Chase in SC, he got a money order and send the money order to Chase so they would deposit it, and then he could send it to me. Sadly, he suddenly died before he could send the check to my account.
So there are 1000 Dollars in his bank account that actually belong to me. He was at the hospital in December and had some bills to pay. They put him on a payment plan, I think. He had no children or wife. His sister will probably handle everything.
From what I understand, the estate will be responsible for paying the hospital debt. The money in the account won't be enough the hospital debt.Therefore, it seems that I did not just lose a dear friend, but also my money.
I don't know if a court would separate my money from his, but it would cost me more than this to travel to the U.S. and take care of this. I don't know if the sister has the power of attorney, but I'm assuming any money in his account would still first be used to pay any outstanding debts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 05:54 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
You would likely be correct. Remember your friend fondly, and forget about the $1,000.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:53 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Maybe I'm dense but it seems it would have been a lot simpler to just write a check and pay the bills yourself

Old 01-05-2016, 07:18 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Something seems really off here, between you needing this person to launder your money for you, and your lack of empathy that your "friend" is dead...

Old 01-05-2016, 07:27 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Your 1000.00 is gone

Old 01-05-2016, 08:12 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Whenever I wanted him to deposit money into my account in the U.S. , I deposited the money here and he would go to the ATM in the U.S., get the money, deposit the money into his account, and then send it to me.
IS it me, or does this make zero sense?

OP, you are lamenting the potential loss of $1000 more than the actual loss of your friend.
Sounds like you considered traveling to the US to claim the money, but not to go to your friend's funeral!

Old 01-05-2016, 09:17 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
IS it me, or does this make zero sense?

OP, you are lamenting the potential loss of $1000 more than the actual loss of your friend.
Sounds like you considered traveling to the US to claim the money, but not to go to your friend's funeral!

Sounds fishy to me.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:23 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:

A friend of mine just died. I currently don't live in the U.S. My friend would always help me if I had to pay something in the U.S. (student loan). I gave him a debit card to an account I created just for this purpose. Whenever I wanted him to deposit money into my account in the U.S. , I deposited the money here and he would go to the ATM in the U.S., get the money, deposit the money into his account, and then send it to me.
He moved to SC 2 years ago or so, but wanted to keep his Chase account. Since there's no Chase in SC, he got a money order and send the money order to Chase so they would deposit it, and then he could send it to me. Sadly, he suddenly died before he could send the check to my account.
So there are 1000 Dollars in his bank account that actually belong to me. He was at the hospital in December and had some bills to pay. They put him on a payment plan, I think. He had no children or wife. His sister will probably handle everything.
From what I understand, the estate will be responsible for paying the hospital debt. The money in the account won't be enough the hospital debt.Therefore, it seems that I did not just lose a dear friend, but also my money.
I don't know if a court would separate my money from his, but it would cost me more than this to travel to the U.S. and take care of this. I don't know if the sister has the power of attorney, but I'm assuming any money in his account would still first be used to pay any outstanding debts.

*You* have no money as the account is in the deceased name. Far as the law, bank and courts would be concerned whatever arrangement you and the departed had was a private agreement that is now ended.

Once advised of the death a bank account is closed and becomes part of the estate. Either the executor, heir or probate court will determine what happens to any remaining funds. You are correct in that any funds coming out of the account will be paid "by the estate of....."

If you can put forward something in writing proving this arrangement with your now deceased friend try finding out who is handling the estate. He or she may agree to *return* your money but I shouldn't count upon.

Get your own bank account.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:04 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,342,677 times
You have a claim on the estate. If the estate does not have enough money then you, as well as others, will not get paid.

You have to present your claim to the estate. The estate should probably advertise for creditors in the local newspaper but this could take some time and finding the advertisement maybe difficult.

I would send a letter to his address addressed to the Estate of .... Hopefully this will be passed on to the executor. I would also send a letter to the sister and ask her who the executor of the estate is so you can present your claim.

The legal papers will be filed in the court house for the county he lived in. Write the court house and ask who is the legal representative. Do an internet search and you should find the correct department.

No need to come to the US.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:06 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:

My money??? You mean HIS money?

This is what is yours: $0

Your cash cow is gone.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance