Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 06:48 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times

Advertisements

I would put it into mutual funds, but not tie it up into a "retirement" account like a IRA. It would then do double duty as invested accounts for retirement but still be liquid if your 6 month emergency fund isn't enough. If you have access to an HSA health insurance account, I would max out your contribution for that first though, and possibly use the dividends each year to add to that account as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 09:39 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I would put it into mutual funds, but not tie it up into a "retirement" account like a IRA. It would then do double duty as invested accounts for retirement but still be liquid if your 6 month emergency fund isn't enough. If you have access to an HSA health insurance account, I would max out your contribution for that first though, and possibly use the dividends each year to add to that account as well.
If he puts it into a Roth IRA, the contributions wouldn't be tied up, and he can use it if necessary.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:07 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
If he puts it into a Roth IRA, the contributions wouldn't be tied up, and he can use it if necessary.
Then just put the funds into a savings account if you only want access to the original 20K....but as salaries grow, expenses grow, your emergency fund needs to grow, thus, putting it into mutual funds not locked into a retirement account.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:13 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
The advice above is all good depending on your situation.
Madmoney has good ideas.
If it were me, I'd bulk up the E- account first, you own a home and repairs can run easily to 10k for new furnace and a/C to a new roof or tree removal in a Strom while awaiting insurance company money. Ask me how I know.natural disasters can take A large long and hard chop into E- fund.
I would, however, if the 6 months is cash, ladder CDs starting to cash in or roll over then.
If you are secure the $18 k is enough to carry you in a major emergency, then ladder OR Roth IRA is another way to go.
You have many decisions
To make, but I also would not leave JUST the 401k as your only retirement vehicle.
Look into vanguard funds as well. That's were I'd start with an extra 20 to throw around.
Best of luck.
Decisions, decisions...

Old 01-11-2016, 06:36 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Then just put the funds into a savings account if you only want access to the original 20K....but as salaries grow, expenses grow, your emergency fund needs to grow, thus, putting it into mutual funds not locked into a retirement account.
But if he wants to grow his money, he can put it into a mutual fund as a Roth and still have access to the original $20K if he wants to use it as a backup emergency fund. Plus it will grow tax free. Putting it into a savings account wouldn't allow him to grow his money. If his salary grows and he needs a bigger emergency fund, then he needs to save more money. Counting on earnings from a mutual fund as more emergency fund is not wise.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:13 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Very easy to address this - if you keep your lifestyle the same as your salary 6 months before (i.e. wait 6 months after a raise to increase expenses), then a 6 month emergency fund will stay a 6 month emergency fund!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance