Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 01:57 PM

70 posts, read 69,523 times

Advertisements

Sigh. All this worry over a couple of minor credit card bills. My cards had a zero balance when I left my job, I used them responsibly and paid them monthly and used all of my points to get $225 in gift card to use at stores that sell professional business attire. I ONLY "ran them up" AFTER I knew that there was an inheritance coming. What I decided to spend that money on are simple luxuries like finishing a corner in the kitchen for additional workspace (so I can make decent meals without my elbows knocking a pot on the floor) I just finished covering a circa 1980's pumpkin/coral dining room into an off white, so I'm not deluged in orange whenever I walk in the front door, and getting the tub replaced and replumbed in the spare bathroom, so that I can have the huge luxury of taking a hot bath.

I mean really, what would YOU do if you had money coming? Wouldn't you at least spend a little to make your life a bit more comfortable? OMG I bought 3 gallons of paint and the tools needed to paint the dining room! Sound the debt crisis ALARMS!!!!!! And by the way, I hadn't done it in the past 8 years because I WAS WORKING 2 or 3 jobs PLUS running my own freaking business!!!

Pay myself into a payment plan? WTH is that? I guess some people just don't read, didn't read anything about how I paid off a 10k roof replacement in 10 months, saved 10k, etc etc. Oh but apparently I'm some huge risk because I had 4k CC debt. Yes I AM disgusted with some of these posts. Read something before you reply, just don't assume, you're only making yourself look like a bleeping idiot.

And its HAD because I paid them off yesterday.

And my neighbor is a tax accountant.

And I've already said I intend to see an advisor.

Grrrrrr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 02:28 PM

18,527 posts, read 15,510,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTreeLand View Post
Sigh. All this worry over a couple of minor credit card bills. My cards had a zero balance when I left my job, I used them responsibly and paid them monthly and used all of my points to get $225 in gift card to use at stores that sell professional business attire. I ONLY "ran them up" AFTER I knew that there was an inheritance coming. What I decided to spend that money on are simple luxuries like finishing a corner in the kitchen for additional workspace (so I can make decent meals without my elbows knocking a pot on the floor) I just finished covering a circa 1980's pumpkin/coral dining room into an off white, so I'm not deluged in orange whenever I walk in the front door, and getting the tub replaced and replumbed in the spare bathroom, so that I can have the huge luxury of taking a hot bath.
That poster said "Are you one of those?". That is a question, not an assumption. Chill out! All you have to say is "No, I am not."

Quote:

I mean really, what would YOU do if you had money coming? Wouldn't you at least spend a little to make your life a bit more comfortable? OMG I bought 3 gallons of paint and the tools needed to paint the dining room! Sound the debt crisis ALARMS!!!!!! And by the way, I hadn't done it in the past 8 years because I WAS WORKING 2 or 3 jobs PLUS running my own freaking business!!!
We're not mind-readers. Again, chill! I wouldn't personally have done what you did, but that's OK, different people have different preferences.

Quote:
Pay myself into a payment plan? WTH is that? I guess some people just don't read, didn't read anything about how I paid off a 10k roof replacement in 10 months, saved 10k, etc etc. Oh but apparently I'm some huge risk because I had 4k CC debt. Yes I AM disgusted with some of these posts. Read something before you reply, just don't assume, you're only making yourself look like a bleeping idiot.

And its HAD because I paid them off yesterday.

And my neighbor is a tax accountant.

And I've already said I intend to see an advisor.

Grrrrrr.
Who said you are "some huge risk?"

Old 01-17-2016, 04:57 PM

168 posts, read 174,146 times
I have not read all the posts. If you are still looking for advice here is what I would do. I would set up a Roth IRA and speak to at least 4 financial advisors. Then I would weigh my options. That is what I did. I ended up using a financial advisor with RBC because I did not have the knowledge to invest by myself. I did ask for references and checked his credentials with FINRA. A good advisor should be able to help you become knowledgeable about your investments. A good advisor will also help you reach your financial goals and be available to answer all your questions. It is important to have an emergency fund and to continue to add to your investments.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times
Quote:
Yes in those counties rates would definitely be much lower. Even the next county north of me, rates are lower. From Palm Beach to Miami its the heaviest population with the worst drivers, add in seasonals and tourists and its a cluster you-know-what around here. My van was hit 3 times, once in a parking lot where a tourist failed to heed a stop sign, once I was side swiped when someone tried to pass me on the left on a double yellow line, and once on a completely empty but for me and he, 3 lane road, where the other driver suddenly decided to swerve from the far right to the far left, and only the fast application of my brakes kept the accident from being worse, my front fender was scratched with a little dent, the other driver did not stop.

I've called around once before, all rates were higher. Sometimes companies get you in with a low rate, and then jack it up in 6 months too. Lots of scams in Florida.
I wouldn't going telling everyone you know you came into an inheritance. Especially where you live in FL.

You're not rolling in dough but that is decent amount of money.

I would look at long term investments, and treat yourself to something like a trip. But really keep this information under your hat. Otherwise you risk getting hit up for loans or something worse.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:08 PM

388 posts, read 471,924 times
Read Making the Most of Your Money Now by Quinn.

Best all around financial book out there. It's an encyclopedia of tools, techniques, and choices with good advice throughout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance