Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 12:14 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times

Advertisements

I'm not so naive as to say "it should be outlawed", because I know you can't stop people from being stupid.

But look, people, there is just something fundamentally wrong about a government that sponsors this freak show of "hey, let's collect everyone's dollars from across the land and then make one giant spectacle of making three random people richer than Midas."

Those people did nothing to deserve it, and it makes no sense for the government to sponsor such an extreme outcome. We already have the Kardashians. We already have the private sector doing a perfectly good job of funneling all the winnings into like a hundred people's hands across the country.

If we're going to give money to random people who didn't do anything to deserve it, let's at least give it to those who are struggling and TRYING to make ends meet and get themselves to a better place.

I personally find the entire concept disgusting, and I would rather that disgusting practices at least not be sanctioned through our government at any level.

But I get that it's a pipe dream. Still, just saying what is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 12:19 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
But look, people, there is just something fundamentally wrong about a government that sponsors this freak show of "hey, let's collect everyone's dollars from across the land and then make one giant spectacle of making three random people richer than Midas."
Not everyone.

If enough people felt the way you do, lotteries would not exist.

Problem is, there are enough people who want the chance to get more money than they deserve. So it goes on...

Old 01-18-2016, 12:25 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
They probably should be limited to each state rather than multiple state huge pots.

"Deserving" has nothing to do with it.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:32 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,455,557 times
It's cheap entertainment--I was almost a billionaire for three days--until I lost of course.

I'd rather "throw away" $2 on a lottery ticket and have three days of fun than throw away $100 on an overpriced not-that-good restaurant meal.

If you don't think they should exist then ignore the kiosk when you walk through a store and everything will be good.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:03 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
If you don't think they should exist then ignore the kiosk when you walk through a store and everything will be good.
No, it won't be good. I already do that. The problem is that you still have this state sponsorship of turning some random yahoo into a half-a-billionaire, and that's a ridiculous waste. I'm not saying people can't act in whatever gluttonous way they wish, but it should at least just not be government-sanctioned. Vegas is already up and running.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:05 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
I'm not so naive as to say "it should be outlawed", because I know you can't stop people from being stupid.

Those people did nothing to deserve it, and it makes no sense for the government to sponsor such an extreme outcome. We already have the Kardashians. We already have the private sector doing a perfectly good job of funneling all the winnings into like a hundred people's hands across the country.

If we're going to give money to random people who didn't do anything to deserve it, let's at least give it to those who are struggling and TRYING to make ends meet and get themselves to a better place.

I personally find the entire concept disgusting, and I would rather that disgusting practices at least not be sanctioned through our government at any level.

But I get that it's a pipe dream. Still, just saying what is right.
Another "I personally don't like it/agree with it, so it should go away because everyone has to think like I do".

Here's a thought. Don't like it, don't participate.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:09 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,918 times
Chill out, the majority of the people don't feel that way obviously.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:11 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Vegas is already up and running.
Not everyone can afford to travel to and stay in Vegas...

Old 01-18-2016, 01:24 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
The Govmt will sanction anything that will give it some money.

For every dollar spent for a ticket only 50% is actually given to the winner.....now they will take a percentage of that 50%. On what is left goes to other small payouts and overhead expenses.

The word that comes to mind is a Legal Featherbending.

Maybe some neighborhoods could start their own small Lottery where the money could do a lot of good......fat chance there.....maybe a protection money like decades past.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:25 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,835,417 times
I don't think the lottery should be outlawed, however I do believe that they shouldn't be allowed to advertise. In Chicago they have billboards, entire buses with ads on the side, TV commercials, radio commercials, and probably more too.

To me, advertising something that is taxing the poor is immoral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance