Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 03:21 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the same thing can apply to annuity's . a married couple may be better off taking a single immediate annuity which pays a lot more then a joint annuity and then get life insurance for the spouse to in herit . that life insurance is tax free , the joint annuity is not .

the most effective retirement planning has been shown to be an integrated strategy of a single premium annuity to replace some of the cash and bonds , your own equity investing and a life insurance policy providing tax free money to your spouse instead of a joint annuity .

It's these comprehensive strategies that offer often times the best possible outcome yet draw so many tears from the crowd who simply hate annuities/insurance but aren't well versed enough to actually understand why this works.

This is where buy spy/VOO and agg simply don't compare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 03:24 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,828,996 times
Guys, term life for a child (usually goes until they are about 25) is only about $2 more a month for a policy of about $10,000 - $15,000. Give or take it's only about $25 - $30 a year. What "significant waste of money" are you guys referring to?

Kids pass away or get killed, it's unfortunate but it happens. The Term life policy is just additional monies at your disposal to pay for related expenses.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Guys, term life for a child (usually goes until they are about 25) is only about $2 more a month for a policy of about $10,000 - $15,000. Give or take it's only about $25 - $30 a year. What "significant waste of money" are you guys referring to?

Kids pass away or get killed, it's unfortunate but it happens. The Term life policy is just additional monies at your disposal to pay for related expenses.

It's a waste. Ask yourself, why is it so cheap? Kids don't provide income typically nor is a funeral a big liability. What are you insuring against?

Old 01-24-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It's a waste. Ask yourself, why is it so cheap? Kids don't provide income typically nor is a funeral a big liability. What are you insuring against?
A funeral isn't a big liability? Do you know how many parents have to borrow money, raise money or take out loans to pay for their child's funeral?

It's $25 a year and will provide an additional $10k if your child is killed or dies. If you don't want to get it then I guess that's your choice, I know if I have kids I'm getting it.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
A funeral isn't a big liability? Do you know how many parents have to borrow money, raise money or take out loans to pay for their child's funeral?
No a funeral isn't a big liability. People having to borrow, raise funds or take out a loan doesn't change the fact it isn't a big liability.

Quote:
It's $25 a year and will provide an additional $10k if your child is killed or dies. If you don't want to get it then I guess that's your choice, I know if I have kids I'm getting it.
A single number on a roulette table might pay 35 to 1, why do you think that is?

Old 01-24-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
No a funeral isn't a big liability. People having to borrow, raise funds or take out a loan doesn't change the fact it isn't a big liability.

A single number on a roulette table might pay 35 to 1, why do you think that is?
I understand the market debates, but are you seriously about to have a debate with me over a $25 a year insurance rider lol?

Just don't buy it dude.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I understand the market debates, but are you seriously about to have a debate with me over a $25 a year insurance rider lol?

Just don't buy it dude.

Well you are simply throwing out the 25.00 a year but even then it's a waste

Old 01-24-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Well you are simply throwing out the 25.00 a year but even then it's a waste
Then don't buy it.......

Old 01-24-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Then don't buy it.......
I won't and you won't because you won't have children. I believe it's generally poor advice however and that's why I commented

Edit: I forgot to add ....... For dramatic effect

Old 01-24-2016, 04:22 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,117,629 times
Quote:

For some people 15K for a funeral for a child IS a big deal--what if the couple is only 25 and haven't had time to save up for a funeral for their baby that died.

We have life insurance on our kid, whole life even. Their policies are minimal costs, but we have bought future protection for THEIR families....and given that our daughter became uninsurable at age 16, very glad we did that. It's money well spent we think.

You do realized that less than 5% of ALL term policies pay out, right Lowexpectations? It's crap shoot for everyone, as is any kind of insurance. The point you continually miss is that it takes TIME to save up for retirement, etc. and not everyone has $1,000,000 by the time they get married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance