Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 09:34 PM

6,751 posts, read 5,457,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
he already has a 2nd job that he hustles back and forth to that pays ****. Dude just doesn't have skills that command any kind of a decent wage. Uber small in stature as well so forget about the dumb "strong guy" jobs...
And you said he still only works 29 hours? With two jobs? Then a third might be in order.

I am 5'5", used to weigh 140lbs, and have worked all manner of jobs.

I have: unloaded trucks, priced merchandise and stocked shelves, cleaned floors, and played cashier in a retail setting; I have washed dishes, cleaned floors, done prep and line cooking in a restaurant setting; I have worked at places like McDonald's, Chain restaurants, and other independent 3 star restaurants; I have worked at gas stations and convenience stores; I have mowed lawns, landscaping, raked leaves and shoveled snow; I have done shipping and receiving; I have bound books; I have done computer cable manufacturing; I have worked as an associate editor for a legal publishing firm; I have been an Administrative Assistant; I have been a paralegal associate.

I have always worked more than one job, even when in manufacturing, Admin. and paralegal.

I am now disabled, get around with a cane, and still work a part part time job, and volunteer. No, volunteering won't pay, but it gives experience and can lead to a paid job with the organization.

There are all manner of jobs, now he may need to gain experience or education for some, granted. I worked my way up, notice how I progressed across differing fields of work...

The government doesn't care for sob stories, there are those worse off than he is and still manage to obey the Affordable Care Act Laws.

Are you trying to justify this for him, or is it you you speak of? Are you in the same boat? Just wondering as you seem very interested in what will happen to "him".

It's his skin, if he doesn't want to follow the law, and thinks he can skate the system, he will find out the government doesn't like to be played with...and it may not be pretty.
"Just sayin'"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 11:56 PM

10,600 posts, read 12,062,327 times
I haven't read all the posts will go back now….

Hello…..think people…..think….
Is there any chance he'd get a REFUND…so his fine, would be deducted from that, and he still wouldn't owe at all.
It would "cost" him the fine -- but it wouldn't come out of his actual day to day life…they'd take it out of his refund, and he'd STILL get a refund…just less.

IF that's the case, I'd do that ….just get less back…… rather than lie.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:18 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,521,015 times
This is just dumb.

He is exempt, anyway.

https://www.healthcare.gov/health-co...-from-the-fee/

Old 01-28-2016, 03:59 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
Isn't the penalty like 1 or 2% of AGI? That's pretty low, why lie if you're low income?

There's a minimum penalty which is currently $695 and rises rapidly.

At low incomes, that minimum penalty is more than 2% of AGI. Also, the problem low income people face is usually the $6,250 out-of-pocket maximum, and not the (subsidized) monthly premium.

I have never seen any Obamacare supporter explain how $6,250 is affordable to someone making say $20K.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:02 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If the cost of the available insurance is greater than 9% of his adjusted taxable income, he's exempt anyway.

If you're low income you probably can't afford that 9 percent, especially when the rent is too damn high and you've got student debt to repay.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:31 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,344,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
This is just dumb.

He is exempt, anyway.

https://www.healthcare.gov/health-co...-from-the-fee/
Someone making low $20,000's is certainly NOT exempt.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
And you said he still only works 29 hours? With two jobs? Then a third might be in order.

I am 5'5", used to weigh 140lbs, and have worked all manner of jobs.

I have: unloaded trucks, priced merchandise and stocked shelves, cleaned floors, and played cashier in a retail setting; I have washed dishes, cleaned floors, done prep and line cooking in a restaurant setting; I have worked at places like McDonald's, Chain restaurants, and other independent 3 star restaurants; I have worked at gas stations and convenience stores; I have mowed lawns, landscaping, raked leaves and shoveled snow; I have done shipping and receiving; I have bound books; I have done computer cable manufacturing; I have worked as an associate editor for a legal publishing firm; I have been an Administrative Assistant; I have been a paralegal associate.

I have always worked more than one job, even when in manufacturing, Admin. and paralegal.

I am now disabled, get around with a cane, and still work a part part time job, and volunteer. No, volunteering won't pay, but it gives experience and can lead to a paid job with the organization.

There are all manner of jobs, now he may need to gain experience or education for some, granted. I worked my way up, notice how I progressed across differing fields of work...

The government doesn't care for sob stories, there are those worse off than he is and still manage to obey the Affordable Care Act Laws.

Are you trying to justify this for him, or is it you you speak of? Are you in the same boat? Just wondering as you seem very interested in what will happen to "him".

It's his skin, if he doesn't want to follow the law, and thinks he can skate the system, he will find out the government doesn't like to be played with...and it may not be pretty.
"Just sayin'"

What is the point of your post? Other than to hear yourself babble.

Job 1 is 29 hours
job 2 is 16+

I wanted to find out how it worked so I could talk him out of it by SHOWING him how it worked. That's it. Your autobiography was great though.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:48 AM

This is a simple thread asking how the law works and the stupidity of some of these posts is amazing. I think the current events section wants some of it's crew back.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:49 AM

freemkt,

thank you having common sense.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:02 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,103,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
The tax person told him he qualified for no breaks. That's why he's submitting it himself.
If he is making enough money to file taxes and does not qualify for subsidies under the ACA, he is not poor....maybe he makes poor financial decisions, but that is not a reason to try to lie about your tax situation. Even with low skills, he could do assembly work--often union positions at high wages with good benefits. He could get a job with the state/county holding signs for construction crews--again, high wages for the type of work, full benefits. There are plenty of unskilled jobs out there for the taking....

To answer your question, yes, you will get caught if you lie about health insurance. Employers have to report coverage on W-2's and if he doesn't have a plan through work, his enrollment, or not, through the health exchange will surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance