Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 11:45 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

I just did my taxes on turbo tax, there was a question asking if we had health insurance all year, I checked 'yes' and that was it, I didn't see any form and I always file electronically
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 07:40 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Same here, two questions about healthcare and that was it. No form required.

Per medicare website regarding the form:
What do I need to do?
•If you had Part A health coverage for all 12 months of [2015], you’ll just need to check a box on your Federal income tax return indicating you had minimum essentialcoverage.

Last edited by f5fstop; 01-30-2016 at 07:57 AM..

Old 01-30-2016, 09:05 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We were bending over when it was us paying low income folks hundred thousand dollar hospital bills....now the insurance companies are. Sounds better to me.

You guys are upset that a guy making $20,000 might have to pay $30 a month for health insurance so that taxpayers don't have to pay for his health care...sorry I don't get it.
Between jobs last summer I had to pay $291 a month out of pocket for insurance on the exchange. Even after tax credit it was still $194 a month.

Oh, and my tax returns indicate I made somewhere in the $22,000 range.

I now have employer-provided health insurance that costs around $100 a month, covers far more, and has a lower deductible.

Moderator cut: .

Back on topic: I haven't received any 1095's either. If you absolutely need to figure out the second lowest cost silver plan (SLCSP) for subsidy calculation on your taxes, it's here.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 01-30-2016 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: language/political

Old 01-30-2016, 12:59 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Same here, two questions about healthcare and that was it. No form required.

Per medicare website regarding the form:
What do I need to do?
•If you had Part A health coverage for all 12 months of [2015], you’ll just need to check a box on your Federal income tax return indicating you had minimum essentialcoverage.
Also, CMS/Medicare at https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Eligibi...Overview1.html says:

"For tax year 2015, the agency will mail notices to Medicare beneficiaries who most need the information for tax filing purposes. These individuals include Medicare Part A beneficiaries under 65, those who enrolled in Part A for the first time in 2015, or those who had Part A for only a portion of 2015."

and
"For tax year 2015, Medicare Part A beneficiaries who are age 65 and over and had Medicare Part A coverage for 12 months or more will be informed that they only need to “check the box” on their tax return indicating that they had MEC for the entire year."

BTW "under 65" is usually folks on Disability (SSDI)

Old 01-30-2016, 02:06 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,512,757 times
We got this form, and neither I nor my wife were on any Obamacare plan for the entire year 2015. When we called to ask about it they told us to forget about it.

Apparently a lot of those forms are being mailed out to people who don't need them.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:11 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,062,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post
Wow. I just got ours in the mail today. It has all twelve months and little boxes that are checked that indicate whether or not my husband and I had health coverage for each and every month of 2015. I have to report this on my income tax form this year.

WTF? I feel like my privacy has been violated by Obama Care.
We've all been warned about this type of thing. It's no surprise.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:59 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
We got this form, and neither I nor my wife were on any Obamacare plan for the entire year 2015. When we called to ask about it they told us to forget about it.

Apparently a lot of those forms are being mailed out to people who don't need them.
Form 1095-B applies to all health insurance plans, not just Marketplace (aka Obamacare) plans.

This from TurboTax at https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tool.../INF27802.html
"Form 1095-B is a health insurance tax form which reports the type of coverage you have, dependents covered by your insurance policy, and the period of coverage for the prior year. This form is used to verify on your tax return that you and your dependents have at least minimum qualifying health insurance coverage. If you had a break in health care coverage for the tax year, you may have to pay an individual shared responsibility payment, also known as a tax penalty.'

And

"The following types of insurance provide minimum essential coverage:
  • Any plan sponsored by an employer. This includes employer-sponsored coverage for retirees and "COBRA" coverage for former employees.
  • Government health care plans such as Medicare Part A, Medicare Advantage, Medicaid, the Children's Health Insurance Program, Tricare for military members, veterans medical benefits and plans for Peace Corps volunteers.
  • Health coverage purchased through the "Marketplace" -- Web-based federal and state insurance markets set up under the Affordable Care Act.
  • Any individual health insurance policy you had in place before the Affordable Care Act took effect."

Old 01-31-2016, 10:19 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post

This is all very confusing isn't it? I wonder, now if the person with whom I spoke about making my appointment to do my taxes was given the wrong information as to my needing to bring new form. This is coming from information given to a person who is setting up appointments for AARP preparers. Those preparers are usually on the ball and are mostly retired accountants who go through training to do their jobs.

I've used them for years and never had a problem. Well, I guess when I go to actually do the work done, I'll see what happens. My appointment isn't until March so if I get a form I will just bring it along as proof I have it which is what I was told to do.

So many different opinions. Seems like one of those situations like you'r dam*ed if you don't, dam*ed if you do.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:04 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,880,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post
Wow. I just got ours in the mail today. It has all twelve months and little boxes that are checked that indicate whether or not my husband and I had health coverage for each and every month of 2015. I have to report this on my income tax form this year.

WTF? I feel like my privacy has been violated by Obama Care.
You're kidding, right?

The law says that you have to have health insurance. If you don't you pay a penalty. This is so if you walk into an emergency room when you don't have insurance, you won't be a burden on society.

How is this news to you?

Having insurance violates your privacy. The most intimate details of your health care are are documented by your providers, interpreted by insurance workers and billed by billing departments. That's a lot of people who know your business. The IRS just wants to know IF you have insurance or not. Would that really be something worth hiding?

This law is to protect us from people who never bothered to have insurance before. It's a good thing. Those without insurance drive up the cost of medical care.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:29 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Still waiting. I am on Medicare. I made an appointment to have my taxes done and the person making the appointment told me to be sure I had one of these. It's two days until the end of the month and it isn't here. One would think the government would make sure everyone would have theirs one time if they are demanding they have one.

It seems redundant for Medicare users to have this anyway. It's clearly stated on our SS statements we receive at the end of the year. Talk about double the paperwork. Wonder how much this costs us taxpayers.

Medicare sent them out two weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance