Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 10:11 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Home equity is not real money, it is like a non dividend stocks where you don't get a return until you sell it. Then if you want to borrow money against your property using a HELOC, you'll have to pay interest. The maximum amount you can save on prepaying the loan, is the interest rate. Period. You can play mind games and compound that savings over 30 years. If that is the case, you might as well pay discount points.
Uh, no. The savings ARE compounded, because each year, the savings mean more of your payment goes to principal. The lower loan balance means a lower interest expense the next year.

The interest cost of a mortgage is based on the outstanding principal. The lower the outstanding principal, the lower the interest cost.

If you pay down the mortgage by $100,000 and the rate is 3%, then the next year your balance will be lower by $103,000 due to both the overpayment itself and the saved interest. Then you are saving the interest on 3% of $103,000....or $3,090. So after another year the balance is lower than schedule by $106,090. This is made of $100,000 in original paydown, $6,000 in saved interest on the paydown and the $90 remaining is the saved interest on the saved interest.

And so on.

(note: With monthly compounding, the amounts here will be a bit off but this suffices for illustrative purposes).

Quote:

Lets say you take home $100,000 and you put it in the bank. Now you want want to do $100,000 in improvements. You take that $100,000 and pay the $100,000 bill and left with $0.
If you put that $100,000 into your mortgage, then use the HELOC to pay $100,000, you now have $100,000 balance at lets say 5%. How long will it take you to save up another $100,000 to repay that credit line, in the mean time you have a variable rate of 5%.
I don't think anyone here is suggesting to use your cash to pay down the mortgage if you're about to spend that amount on improvements - this is a big straw man. I agree, of course if you have big renovations coming up, keep the money liquid.

Quote:

This doesn't even take into account your equity disappearing as your neighbors lose their jobs and homes go into foreclosure again. Cash doesn't disappear out of your pocket, at least to FDIC limits, like it can in a house.
If you don't pay down the mortgage, it will still disappear. Then you will have less equity than none at all, because you had none.....and then lost a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 10:15 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The savings from paying a large amount or entire amount of your mortgage isn't simply the stated interest rate because that rate is an annual charge. At the very least you'd save that rate more than once on some if not the majority of the 100k
That's why I said compound.

If I go get a $100,000 personal loan at 10% then immediately repay it, did I just make a 10% return on my payback. Since I no longer have to pay back the $100,000 am I making 10% for the rest of my life?

Old 02-01-2016, 10:19 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
That's why I said compound.

If I go get a $100,000 personal loan at 10% then immediately repay it, did I just make a 10% return on my payback. Since I no longer have to pay back the $100,000 am I making 10% for the rest of my life?

I didn't say anything about a return, I said savings.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:31 AM

6,625 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewyorkers View Post
So I have been debating for several weeks whether I should pay a big chunk of cash into my mortgage principal... all the forums here have folks on each side of the debate. So I went to my amortization table and here is the best way to think about this issue PERIOD. Please check my logic and tell me what am I missing and let the debate begin:

I have a big mortgage... If I pay $100k today towards principal, instead of paying $23k in interest after 12 months, I will have paid $20k... that's $3k in interest that I didn't pay, money I didn't waste. Thanks to being able to deduct interest on my tax return, my tax bill will be reduced by roughly 25% of the $3k, so my real savings - money not sent down the drain - went from $3k to $2,250, but i still come out ahead.

In addition, after paying said big chunck, $100k, instead of paying $12k towards principal, after 12 months I will have contributed $16k. So that's $4k more of net worth, shifting money from one pocket to another.

SO adding the $2,250 plus the $4k, my return on the $100k paid on my mortgage is 6.25% the first year. This I much better than the 3.625% interest rate i am paying on my mortgage.

Two sides of the equation, need to be additive to one another.

What am i missing?
You might want to call the mortgage co and see if you can reset the terms of the mortgage. Lower monthly payment and interest rate for your 100,000 payment.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Uh, no. The savings ARE compounded, because each year, the savings mean more of your payment goes to principal. The lower loan balance means a lower interest expense the next year.

The interest cost of a mortgage is based on the outstanding principal. The lower the outstanding principal, the lower the interest cost.

If you pay down the mortgage by $100,000 and the rate is 3%, then the next year your balance will be lower by $103,000 due to both the overpayment itself and the saved interest. Then you are saving the interest on 3% of $103,000....or $3,090. So after another year the balance is lower than schedule by $106,090. This is made of $100,000 in original paydown, $6,000 in saved interest on the paydown and the $90 remaining is the saved interest on the saved interest.

And so on.

(note: With monthly compounding, the amounts here will be a bit off but this suffices for illustrative purposes).

I don't think anyone here is suggesting to use your cash to pay down the mortgage if you're about to spend that amount on improvements - this is a big straw man. I agree, of course if you have big renovations coming up, keep the money liquid.

If you don't pay down the mortgage, it will still disappear. Then you will have less equity than none at all, because you had none.....and then lost a lot.
I did say compound

Rate by definition is over a year, so when I said you'll save that rate, you'll be saving that rate year over year. So if the op paid $100,000 on a 3% loan early how long does that rate of return last, or compound, an eternity? They are trying to count the extra money now doing towards principal as a return, it is a mind game. Which they stated from title "The best way to think ...."

"Big Straw man" you are yet to own a house, LIFE HAPPENS, I use the renovation just an realistic example. Do you have any idea the cost to raise a kid or three? Ask your parents? Twins, job relocation? medical, childcare? My point is equity is not cash as the OP has stated and equity can only secure debt with interest. Change the numbers and scenario how you fell is more appropriate. Maybe 5 years from now they'll want to by a $40k mini van. Use your imagination rather than cop-out the straw man rebuttal.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I did say compound

Rate by definition is over a year, so when I said you'll save that rate, you'll be saving that rate year over year. So if the op paid $100,000 on a 3% loan early how long does that rate of return last, or compound, an eternity? They are trying to count the extra money now doing towards principal as a return, it is a mind game. Which they stated from title "The best way to think ...."

"Big Straw man" you are yet to own a house, LIFE HAPPENS, I use the renovation just an realistic example. Do you have any idea the cost to raise a kid or three? Ask your parents? Twins, job relocation? medical, childcare? My point is equity is not cash as the OP has stated and equity can only secure debt with interest. Change the numbers and scenario how you fell is more appropriate. Maybe 5 years from now they'll want to by a $40k mini van. Use your imagination rather than cop-out the straw man rebuttal.
Ok, so you save a cash reserve and then pay down the mortgage. Wow, that was hard.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Ok, so you save a cash reserve and then pay down the mortgage. Wow, that was hard.
The point is equity is not cash as the OP stated, what don't you understand? Why can't you understand?

Old 02-01-2016, 12:17 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Really need to make that a recast is going to make sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewyorkers View Post
So I have been debating for several weeks whether I should pay a big chunk of cash into my mortgage principal... all the forums here have folks on each side of the debate. So I went to my amortization table and here is the best way to think about this issue PERIOD. Please check my logic and tell me what am I missing and let the debate begin:

I have a big mortgage... If I pay $100k today towards principal, instead of paying $23k in interest after 12 months, I will have paid $20k... that's $3k in interest that I didn't pay, money I didn't waste. Thanks to being able to deduct interest on my tax return, my tax bill will be reduced by roughly 25% of the $3k, so my real savings - money not sent down the drain - went from $3k to $2,250, but i still come out ahead.

In addition, after paying said big chunck, $100k, instead of paying $12k towards principal, after 12 months I will have contributed $16k. So that's $4k more of net worth, shifting money from one pocket to another.

SO adding the $2,250 plus the $4k, my return on the $100k paid on my mortgage is 6.25% the first year. This I much better than the 3.625% interest rate i am paying on my mortgage.

Two sides of the equation, need to be additive to one another.

What am i missing?
The smartest way to look at this is as part of a recast -- What Is Mortgage Recasting And Why Do It? | Bankrate.com

Despite the goofy cartoony characters on this page, there is an honest-to-goodness re-amortization calculator that should eliminate any doubt about the different payments IF recasting is allowed by the lender -- Mortgage Recast Calculator to Calculate Reduced Payment Savings

I would also warn that if you are unable to get a return of more than 3.625% (which is a phenomenally low rate for a 30 yr loan... that you ought to be able to beat with even very risk averse investments like AAA Corporate bonds https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?id=AAA ) you may be so blindly risk averse that you are making financial mistakes -- https://hbr.org/2014/07/the-crisis-i...ement-planning

Old 02-01-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
The point is equity is not cash as the OP stated, what don't you understand? Why can't you understand?
I didn't mean to imply equity was cash. Only that it doesn't necessarily represent a financial loss or bad decision.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The smartest way to look at this is as part of a recast -- What Is Mortgage Recasting And Why Do It? | Bankrate.com

Despite the goofy cartoony characters on this page, there is an honest-to-goodness re-amortization calculator that should eliminate any doubt about the different payments IF recasting is allowed by the lender -- Mortgage Recast Calculator to Calculate Reduced Payment Savings

I would also warn that if you are unable to get a return of more than 3.625% (which is a phenomenally low rate for a 30 yr loan... that you ought to be able to beat with even very risk averse investments like AAA Corporate bonds https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?id=AAA ) you may be so blindly risk averse that you are making financial mistakes -- https://hbr.org/2014/07/the-crisis-i...ement-planning
If the corporate bonds are paying 3.75% and the mortgage costs 3.625%, we are talking a 0.125% spread. Even AAA corporate bonds are not without risk - strong-seeming companies can, and do, fail from time to time. If the failure rate is even 1 in 800 corporations more than normal - your 0.125% is wiped out, and you have nothing to show for your leverage "strategy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance