Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 11:17 AM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you were an employee as they would be directing you as to the time of day to perform the work and been specific on what you are to do and not to do. The problem is they are probably not in compliance with the laws and thus you have additional expenses.

I would look at line 21 on the 1040 to see if you can use that. I just do not have any experience to be more definitive.

Don't worry about no 1099. You are ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 11:59 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
The company is in compliance because the income is under $600, but for the special events that I worked, the checks were made up in advance, with no taxes taken out. There were no additional expenses involved with the job at all. I don't plan to work for them again, so I won't have to go through this again.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:35 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The company is in compliance because the income is under $600, but for the special events that I worked, the checks were made up in advance, with no taxes taken out. There were no additional expenses involved with the job at all. I don't plan to work for them again, so I won't have to go through this again.
That has nothing to do with the compliance issue. The issue is that you were an employee, not an independent contractor, and the company mis-classified you in order to save on payroll taxes.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:14 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That has nothing to do with the compliance issue. The issue is that you were an employee, not an independent contractor, and the company mis-classified you in order to save on payroll taxes.
That, and the matter of laziness of not having to do payroll. By having the checks made up in advance, and issuing them at the end of the shift is lazy to me. I would much rather have payroll done, and done correctly, plus they misspelled my name twice.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:29 PM

732 posts, read 2,980,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRetired View Post
If it does ultimately go on Schedule C, and it probably should given the nature of the income, keep in mind that you will also have to fill out form SE and pay social security / medicare taxes on the income. Do you have expenses associated with earning this income that you can offset it with?

In your case, it sounds like being honest and reporting the income is more of a pain than it should be. If you can justify having it go into the other income box (block 21) you wouldn't be paying SE taxes, but if the IRS challenged it they would probably be correct in saying it belongs on Sch. C and therefore would be subject to SE taxes (1/2 of which would be deductible as business expenses).
Since the OP's income was under $400, there's no SE tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance