Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 12:02 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,264,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
You miss the point of the method. The point is not to get the quickest payoff for a given total monthly payment, rather, it is to keep the debtor disciplined enough to pay that amount in the first place.
I understand his point, his point is wrong. The point should be, don't keep the people stupid, explain how money works, in this case it is simple arithmetic. I think these "experts" like to keep their followers stupid so they keep subscribing. Their followers would be better off elsewhere where they can learn the most effective use of their money, not some stupid motivational method that ends up costing them more money!

I will say this, if you follow Dave Ramsey, STOP, you are making a mistake. I have not looked into him or his methods at all but if he is so stupid to even suggest that you spend more money in some stupid payoff method than is needed, then all of his recommendations are suspect. STOP STOP STOP He is wasting YOUR money

ncole, this is not directed at you, I know you are smarter than this and are just trying to explain Ramsey. I am just saying I understand his rational, it is not a good method though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 01:37 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I understand his point, his point is wrong. The point should be, don't keep the people stupid, explain how money works, in this case it is simple arithmetic. I think these "experts" like to keep their followers stupid so they keep subscribing. Their followers would be better off elsewhere where they can learn the most effective use of their money, not some stupid motivational method that ends up costing them more money!

I will say this, if you follow Dave Ramsey, STOP, you are making a mistake. I have not looked into him or his methods at all but if he is so stupid to even suggest that you spend more money in some stupid payoff method than is needed, then all of his recommendations are suspect. STOP STOP STOP He is wasting YOUR money

ncole, this is not directed at you, I know you are smarter than this and are just trying to explain Ramsey. I am just saying I understand his rational, it is not a good method though.
You seem to think that merely explaining something to someone is going to be sufficient to change their behavior. In some cases it is, in others it isn't. Ever tried telling a smoker to "just stop, it'll make your life better"?

Old 02-15-2016, 01:52 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post

Most people are dumb. Most people do not behave in a purely rational manner. Simply educating someone doesn't magically get them to stop acting irrationally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy
Paying interest, especially when it's 100% unnecessary, is the definition of continuing to dig.
No it isn't. Taking a non-optimal path out of the hole is in no way equivalent to continuing to dig deeper. To contend otherwise is pure nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance