Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 12:31 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
The reason for the penalty is because people will use medical services, and it forces payment into the system. I'm actually surprised the Republicans were so against it, they despise freeloaders.

Wage earners without insurance are already subsidizing (through taxes) wage earners with employer-provided insurance.

Perhaps the latter should start paying their fair share of taxes.

e.g.

Worker A earns $20K cash (taxable) plus $10K health insurance (untaxed) = $30K total compensation

Worker B earns $25K cash (taxable) with zero benefits = $25K total compensation.

A receives greater total compensation than B, and pays less tax than B, who now gets hit with a tax penalty on top of his taxes already higher than A's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 04:34 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Yep, my daughter got her meager refund decimated by the penalty. She makes minimim wage, works 28 hours a week and didn't qualify for any subsidy because *I* make too much money. She has to live at home because she cannot make enough to afford to live on her own. She is too old to claim as a dependent on mine. She used to take her refund and pay bills, buy some clothes. etc. Now she cries and cries. They won't give more hours to work no matter how much she begs them.

Thanks o for the fundamental transformation. Keep the change.

How does your income affect whether your daughter qualifies for a subsidy? Your daughter sounds like the kind of person Obamacare was designed to help. You need to ask yourself what is the reasoning behind preventing your daughter getting a subsidy. Remember all the back and forth negotiations to get Obamacare through congress?

My ex makes about 15K per year and pays $20/month for an awesome health insurance plan, way better than my employer sponsored plan. So there are some "success" stories.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:38 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Wage earners without insurance are already subsidizing (through taxes) wage earners with employer-provided insurance.

e.g.

Worker A earns $20K cash (taxable) plus $10K health insurance (untaxed) = $30K total compensation

Worker B earns $25K cash (taxable) with zero benefits = $25K total compensation.

A receives greater total compensation than B, and pays less tax than B, who now gets hit with a tax penalty on top of his taxes already higher than A's.

Yeah this one never made sense to me. Why are payments to employer sponsored plans tax deductible, but if an individual pays their own insurance, it is not deductible? (excepts as a Schedule A medical expense I believe)

Old 02-11-2016, 07:52 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Yep, my daughter got her meager refund decimated by the penalty. She makes minimim wage, works 28 hours a week and didn't qualify for any subsidy because *I* make too much money. She has to live at home because she cannot make enough to afford to live on her own. She is too old to claim as a dependent on mine. She used to take her refund and pay bills, buy some clothes. etc. Now she cries and cries. They won't give more hours to work no matter how much she begs them.

Thanks o for the fundamental transformation. Keep the change.

The solution is for her to manipulate her allowances/deductions so that she does not get a refund and instead has to pay a few dollars when filing her taxes. The penalty can only be extracted from any potential refund. If no refund is due, then the govt can't get its penalty. She will get more money in her weekly paycheck so that is better anyway.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:51 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Quote:
I'm not aware of any "age" test that dependents have to meet
There is a very low income test that probably eliminates the exemption. I think it is about 4,000.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:21 AM
fzx

399 posts, read 511,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Yeah this one never made sense to me. Why are payments to employer sponsored plans tax deductible, but if an individual pays their own insurance, it is not deductible? (excepts as a Schedule A medical expense I believe)
ACA originally required that luxury insurance plans to pay tax beyond certain amount, aka Cadillac tax. The law, which was set to be effective in 2017, is now delayed by 2 years.

My employer is self insured but our population is less healthy than the average. So would I pay $450/on health insurance premium with an annual family deductible of $6000. My question for the tax is: how can you set a number without considering the actual condition of the population?

In addition, the law itself is very murky. It seems like FSA will be considered part of the premium and subject to tax but HSA may or may not be included. This is why employers are pushing for the HSA plans in a big way.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:25 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloGrownGrl View Post
I believe the "Shared Responsibility Payment" is the $500 I mentioned, so I don't quite understand your reply? Could you explain a little more?
I meant to say don't check the box, but, yes, otherwise that's where the $500 payment goes.

By the way, you made a wise financial choice by paying the penalty.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:38 AM

940 posts, read 969,108 times
Quote:

e.g.

How it is worker A's fault that worker B did a poor job of negotiating their salary, assuming the jobs are the same?

Old 02-11-2016, 12:48 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
How it is worker A's fault that worker B did a poor job of negotiating their salary, assuming the jobs are the same?

Government should not be using the tax code to favor some forms of compensation over others. Simple as that.

In the hands of government, one man's incentive is another man's penalty.

If government insists on imposing one of these penalties, it shouldn't impose the other, i.e. you could argue that uninsured workers should pay one tax penalty but not both.

In the minimum wage sector, it's take-it-or-leave it, nothing to negotiate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance