Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 12:25 AM

48 posts, read 90,861 times

Advertisements

Over valentine's day weekend I stayed at the JW Marriott in Downtown Houston - very nice hotel.

The original charge was $652 and after champagne and extras that I pre-ordered before arrival, I was charged $852 to my card at check-in (I saw the money leave my account). Note: No deposit or hold for incidentals of any kind.

Halfway through my stay I reported an issue with the room and was told I was be refunded $200.

Fast forward to today (2 days post-checkout) and I see a $200 credit from JW as promised and the room charge is gone all together.

I've stayed at plenty of hotels and for the most part I usually pay at checkout if it's not prepaid. Is this type of delay normal for higher-end hotels or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 12:28 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,467,128 times
It's normal for charges to disappear for 1-2 days before posting.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:46 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,368 times
Hotels are notoriously slow at posting charges to CCs.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:55 AM

9,776 posts, read 15,781,748 times
Okay, I have a funny related story about hotel charges. We once stayed at a hotel in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Something was screwy with our reservation (our reservation was broken in two). And on the day of checkout, there was an extra charge on our credit card. So upon checkout, I discussed the problem at length with the young guy at the front desk who assured me that the charge had been corrected. But as I left I still didn't feel quite satisfied that he had fixed it.

So I go into our car in the hotel parking lot right outside the hotel office where my husband was patiently waiting for me. I relay the story to him and add, "I don't think the guy at the front desk knew what he was doing. The charge is still on the credit card. I'm going to call the main 800 number for the hotel chain and have someone else help me." So I dial the 800 number and the person answers, "Hello, can I help you?"

I relay the whole long, sordid story to man on the other end of the phone, and he replies, "Yes, m'am, I just told you at the front desk that the charges have been corrected. It will take a few days to show up on your credit card bill." How embarrassing! I had called the local hotel's 800 number! As I hid my face, my husband discreetly pulled out of the parking lot.

PS. The charges showed up correct a few days later on the credit card.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:05 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDreams404 View Post
Over valentine's day weekend I stayed at the JW Marriott in Downtown Houston - very nice hotel.

The original charge was $652 and after champagne and extras that I pre-ordered before arrival, I was charged $852 to my card at check-in (I saw the money leave my account). Note: No deposit or hold for incidentals of any kind.

Halfway through my stay I reported an issue with the room and was told I was be refunded $200.

Fast forward to today (2 days post-checkout) and I see a $200 credit from JW as promised and the room charge is gone all together.

I've stayed at plenty of hotels and for the most part I usually pay at checkout if it's not prepaid. Is this type of delay normal for higher-end hotels or something?
It's still within a few days - within the normal range of posting delays. Premature conclusion.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:38 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,498,398 times
I was once charged six months after a hotel stay. I was young and it was for a wedding and I thought perhaps the bride's family had taken care of the bill as I was in the bridal party. Nope, it showed up much later. I raised a stink though and I think I wound up not having to pay.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:44 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDreams404 View Post

Nope they're simply holding onto your money as long as they can before they are required to return it to you.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:48 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Okay, I have a funny related story about hotel charges. We once stayed at a hotel in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Something was screwy with our reservation (our reservation was broken in two). And on the day of checkout, there was an extra charge on our credit card. So upon checkout, I discussed the problem at length with the young guy at the front desk who assured me that the charge had been corrected. But as I left I still didn't feel quite satisfied that he had fixed it.

So I go into our car in the hotel parking lot right outside the hotel office where my husband was patiently waiting for me. I relay the story to him and add, "I don't think the guy at the front desk knew what he was doing. The charge is still on the credit card. I'm going to call the main 800 number for the hotel chain and have someone else help me." So I dial the 800 number and the person answers, "Hello, can I help you?"

I relay the whole long, sordid story to man on the other end of the phone, and he replies, "Yes, m'am, I just told you at the front desk that the charges have been corrected. It will take a few days to show up on your credit card bill." How embarrassing! I had called the local hotel's 800 number! As I hid my face, my husband discreetly pulled out of the parking lot.

PS. The charges showed up correct a few days later on the credit card.

(singing)

That was your first mistake
They took your reservation and broke it in two
Now what can be done for you?
They broke it in two
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance