Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2016, 07:52 PM

7 posts, read 6,247 times

Advertisements

I've been talking to this lady in Texas who I have become very good friends with over the past 3 years, all online and over the phone. We like each other as good friends and romantically. I know she is an actual, real person. We talk, video chat, text, snap chat, etc; everything except face-to-face contact, since I live in New York. Our relationship was only growing stronger until this month. We agreed to exchange gifts for Valentine's Day. I sent her a package. She asked me to get these shoes for her as her gift, so I thought that would work well. She for some reason wanted me to log in to her account, as opposed to just sending me the link to the page as I would have thought, on "Wish.com" and go to the "saved items" section and purchase the shoes for her, and have them sent to her address. I searched around for payment methods to delete my credit card, but found no such section so I just logged out and all was well until I saw my bank statement today. My card has been charged from items from that website, everyday since the gift I purchased for her, multiple times daily. A grand total of $486.00 wiped out from my account from these fraudulent purchases. I immediately asked her what was going on and she claimed, and still claims, innocence, saying she only bought two cheap items on that website since, and that she looked and only her card is connected. She changed her password since, and when I asked, she gave the new one, but it didn't work, except once, and it showed expensive Jewlery and shirts bought. I remotely got logged out and I kept trying to gain access with the password and she said "that odd, I don't know why it won't work." I then asked just to see a copy of her bank statement, but her computer was glitching and her "account on Chase bank was locked for some reason." She claims her card was charged too, and that the site glitches and double charged both our cards for random purchase, or a hacker. Not sure I believe her. My bank said to press charges. She said she'll give me the $486 and forget about this. What should I do and who should I trust?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 05:26 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,482,986 times
She's a scam artist and you willingly gave her your information when you used your card on her account. She probably has at least a dozen "very good friends online and over the phone" she does this to.

The most you can do now is report the card as compromised so your bank gives you a new one with new numbers. You can also tell the bank not to honor any further charges from that site.

Go forth, and be scammed no more.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:39 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,871 times
Somebody once said, "there's a sucker born every second" (or was it minute). Whoever that was was pretty accurate.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:07 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Somebody once said, "there's a sucker born every second" (or was it minute). Whoever that was was pretty accurate.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ther...n_every_minute

Minute mate

Old 02-23-2016, 07:20 PM

346 posts, read 730,585 times
It amazes me that there are guys out there this gullible. These scam artists prey on you guys. Do you also have an uncle in Nigeria, who is a prince, who left you 30 million dollars? Haha.
But seriously, get a new card and press charges or file a lawsuit. Scamming guys online is probably her full-time job.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:36 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Can you contact the website, and ask to delete your credit card info from the website.
https://contextlogic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
But first call your bank IMMEDIATELY and stop the card. Speak With The Bank’s Fraud Division. Those are the people you need to talk to. Make sure you write down all of the purchases that are unauthorized and the amounts, because they’ll ask you to name all of the ones that were unauthorized. They’ll start claims for all of those charges to be reversed.
Remember to fill out the affidavit that they will send you - you need to send it back, AND they need to receive it. (via certified mail with return receipt requested!)
Banks can charge up to $50 if you report a card stolen, missing or used without your permission within two business days, under the Electronic Fund Transfer Act. Banks, however, often don’t charge you anything if you report it within that time. You could be held liable for $500 of unauthorized charges if you don’t report it within 60 days.
http://classroom.synonym.com/can-fil...ard-13401.html

Other than that... you know her address. Tell her you will sue/make small claim, or come over and have (not so nice) face-to-face confrontation.

Also read this:
http://www.consumerfinance.gov/askcf...authorized+use

Quote:
What should I do and who should I trust?
^^^ This what you should do.
And ... you shouldn't trust her anymore.

Last edited by elnina; 02-23-2016 at 08:06 PM..

Old 02-23-2016, 07:43 PM

645 posts, read 750,448 times
no offense but how dumb can you be? why would you do that? and why would you use a bank card?. Using your debit card to make purchases online is the worse thing you could do. You should only use a regular credit card that isn't attached to your bank account....seems like you got scammed.....hopefully you learned from this....

Old 02-23-2016, 07:47 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
^^^ He needs help! He knows that he made a huge mistake....
Write something helpful

Last edited by elnina; 02-23-2016 at 08:08 PM..

Old 02-23-2016, 08:32 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,093 times
Not much to add here, other than NEVER to trust anyone who asks for credit cards, bank cards, and/or tries to get you to do something shady/sketchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance