Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 08:13 AM

630 posts, read 1,716,690 times

Advertisements

We received a lawsuit settlement in 2015. We did not receive a 1099 misc. for this money. Should we have? I am doing our taxes in Turbo Tax and as I try to account for the income, it requires a tax id which I don't have.

A few details. It was a contingency lawsuit so the ins company mailed the check to our attorney. He held out his fee and cut us a check for the remainder. I thought he should have sent us one so I asked and his response was that was an accounting question and not a legal one. I should ask our accountant. He is less than competent so I'm hoping someone here can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 08:23 AM

10,703 posts, read 5,648,693 times
The taxability of the award depends on what it is for. Personal injury? Fraud?

Old 02-23-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The taxability of the award depends on what it is for. Personal injury? Fraud?

It was for a couple of things. Breach of contract and negligence that cost us the loss of value on the purchase of real estate.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:36 AM

10,703 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pajama mama~ View Post
It was for a couple of things. Breach of contract and negligence that cost us the loss of value on the purchase of real estate.
Generally taxable, but there are some subtleties that may require professional assistance. Check out this link for more info:

https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small...#_Toc305586646

Old 02-23-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Generally taxable, but there are some subtleties that may require professional assistance. Check out this link for more info:

https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small...#_Toc305586646

I'm sure it is taxable. So with that said..I don't know how/where to report it. I think my attorney should have sent me a 1099 misc. Am I right?

Old 02-23-2016, 11:37 AM

906 posts, read 1,765,723 times
You purchased property which lost value (due to factors related to a breach in contract) and you were compensated for that lost value on your original investment. I'm not entirely sure it is taxable. I would consult with a CPA and/or tax attorney.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:02 PM

460 posts, read 778,570 times
Is it business related or personal? If it was related to your business it should flow through your Sch. C, probably in block 6 (assuming your business is not a partnership or S-Corp, in which case it would need to go on the business tax return). If it is personal, I'd put it in block 21 of the 1040 and describe it as lawsuit settlement.

You probably should consult with a tax professional with the specific details, however, and let them figure out what needs to be done based on all relevant factors. This settlement will most likely also affect your basis in the property.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:23 PM

It's a personal residence we turned into a rental 2 years ago.

Also, Now I'm thinking it may not be taxable.

"Settlement awards that compensate you for property loss can be excluded if they do not exceed your adjusted basis in the property. Your basis in property is the amount that you paid to acquire it -- for real estate, for example, it might be the amount you paid for the property, plus real estate broker's fees. Your adjusted basis represents any change in your basis over time -- depreciation, for example, or the value of improvements that you added. If the amount of your compensation exceeds your adjusted basis in the property, you are taxed at capital gains tax rates on the amount by which your compensation exceeded the adjusted basis in the property."

If I didn't receive a 1099 misc then it's not being reported to the IRS right? Because if it is, I would rather claim it then have them come back and argue the point.

I am going to see if I can find an accountant to help with this question but hope someone here can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance