Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 02:39 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times

Advertisements

I recently spoke with a representative from this company who has explained they can lower my credit card debt through a hardship program. It is quite an attractive thought which is why I am leery of it. He said the company is approved by FTC and BBB.

If anyone can help me understand this company and how legitimate they are, I would be very grateful.

Last edited by NYgal1542; 02-25-2016 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Added text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 04:16 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I recently spoke with a representative from this company who has explained they can lower my credit card debt through a hardship program. It is quite an attractive thought which is why I am leery of it. He said the company is approved by FTC and BBB.

If anyone can help me understand this company and how legitimate they are, I would be very grateful.
I've never used a freedom debt program but I've heard that these programs take advantage of people. You've made the first step (acknowledging the problem) make up your mind to do it on your own. You'll feel a great sense of accompaniments once successful especially on your own. There is a good book about snowballing debt and if you stick with it, it works (that's what I did) and you don't need to pay someone $1k to do it. Can anyone help me with the name or a link to the book? It's slipping my mind right now.

Last edited by petch751; 02-25-2016 at 04:49 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 04:19 PM

Ok, I found it

How the Debt Snowball Method Works - daveramsey.com

Amazon.com: dave ramsey financial peace university

Old 02-25-2016, 04:49 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Freedom Debt Relief Review - Consumer Reports

There's alot of good reviews out there on them.. But.. Remember.. It don't take much of a greased palm to get someone to write something good..

Old 02-25-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

There's alot of good reviews out there on them.. But.. Remember.. It don't take much of a greased palm to get someone to write something good..
That is to assume they are already in trouble and I'm not sure what the company can do. If they can grease palms then it's going to cost her plus some. If there is a good reason they can write a letter (themselves) that explains the situation and they it can be put on your credit report.

It was along time ago for me (before Ramsey), I didn't know about him I did the snowball pay down and also kept tabs on my credit score as another marker for my progress. I made it a game and while I entertained myself (and learned) by researching handling money. I read rich dad poor dad and cash flow quadrant. There were other books and internet reading, even did a study on how the rich view money differently than the poor and the middle class..

Get your FICO® Scores & Credit Reports From All 3 Bureaus (also have a forum)

Determination worked. The peace of mind is worth it, you feel better about your life with more control over your money, and when you pay down debt you have more money to SAVE and invest.

Paying down bad debt was the best thing I ever did!

Last edited by petch751; 02-25-2016 at 05:04 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 05:03 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

That review from Consumer Reports says you should run, not walk, away from these folks, NYgal2NC. I know you already looked into the non-profit consumer credit counseling organizations and decided they were too costly. I think this outfit would be far worse.

I agree with petch751 that you should do it yourself. Write up a hardship letter that explains why you feel you should be considered for a hardship. Then, add a heading/greeting and first paragraph specific to the creditor so that each letter is personalized. You can find the addresses for their consumer relations/customer service department on their websites, and maybe even a contact person. That will only cost you some time, some paper and envelopes, and some stamps.

I would personally stress that you've been a good customer and that you're trying to pay your obligations and that you don't want to declare bankruptcy but that you're a senior with a fixed and limited income.

I'm personally not a Dave Ramsey fan because he advocates paying off the smallest bills first. I prefer to pay off the highest interest first, but I think you should do what works best for you. If you would feel better getting rid of Bill A in 3 months and then using that money to tackle B, C and D, then go for it.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
That review from Consumer Reports says you should run, not walk, away from these folks, NYgal2NC. I know you already looked into the non-profit consumer credit counseling organizations and decided they were too costly. I think this outfit would be far worse.

I agree with petch751 that you should do it yourself. Write up a hardship letter that explains why you feel you should be considered for a hardship. Then, add a heading/greeting and first paragraph specific to the creditor so that each letter is personalized. You can find the addresses for their consumer relations/customer service department on their websites, and maybe even a contact person. That will only cost you some time, some paper and envelopes, and some stamps.

I would personally stress that you've been a good customer and that you're trying to pay your obligations and that you don't want to declare bankruptcy but that you're a senior with a fixed and limited income.

I'm personally not a Dave Ramsey fan because he advocates paying off the smallest bills first. I prefer to pay off the highest interest first, but I think you should do what works best for you. If you would feel better getting rid of Bill A in 3 months and then using that money to tackle B, C and D, then go for it.
I understand both schools of thought (smallest bill or highest interest rate). and tugged with it myself but think for many people the smallest may be best. This is not an easy road and paying off the small debts give a sense of accomplishment and hopefully encourage them to keep going. Then again, you pay more with higher interest rates.

See the tug of war lol, I lean smallest... Who ever does it has to decide.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:12 PM

Examples of hardship letters

http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/h...rd_hardsh.html

How To Write A Settlement Offer Letter - The Debt Lady | The Debt Lady

Old 02-25-2016, 05:31 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times

Thank you!! I appreciate your taking the time to find these sites. I will delve into them and do what they recommend. I have only been able to pay minimum payment on all of them; would take a long time to get debt free at that rate!!

Old 02-25-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Thank you!! I appreciate your taking the time to find these sites. I will delve into them and do what they recommend. I have only been able to pay minimum payment on all of them; would take a long time to get debt free at that rate!!

You're welcome. I've been where you are, there is money to be found, extra to one bill, then you're rolling. Good luck, again, it's worth it. I always encourage it because I know what a positive difference (big difference) it made in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance