Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 04:07 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

Stock dividends usually can garner 3-6% on a regular basis. DON'T pay attention to the stock prices..or the market..pay only attention to the dividends! You will get the same dividend they offer, regardless of market price {true they may adjust the dividend down if the stock falls a lot, but you STILL get your dividend...they DON'T like to reduce dividends!} Se below.
Terrible advice as well as untrue. Total return is what matters more than anything else. Also dividends do get cut so they don't always get whatever is offerered. What good is a 3% dividend if the stock is down 30%?

Quote:
I also like DRIPs {Dividend Re Investment Plans} also are a good place IF you will continually have extra money to put into it. First, the dividends are reinvested into new shares or partial shares. Then, when You buy stock in a DRIP company, usually just one share needed, they require you add a certain small amount to it monthly to buy both new shares and partial shares..usually $25-$50/month. BOTH your new money AND the dividends are invested into new shares and partial shares. YOU money grows. As the market price falls, you buy MORE shares, but STILL get the same dividend they offer that year, and it "buys" more shares/partial shares. If you sell below your bought price, you get to write off your losses against capital gains. TRy companies you KNOW, LIKE or buy stuff from.

Dividend Reinvestment Plans (DRIPs) - Dividend.com

for a list of companies, their requirements, etc for a DRIP:

Dividend Reinvestment Plans - All DRIPs

If you can stomach the market, and want a good/better rate than just 1% in savings accounts or the laddered CDs, try DRIPs, or dividend stocks.

Jsut a thought.

With the reinvestment programs you are potentially growing a current tax liability only to get back money at the cost of appreciation and as pointed out above dividends don't always stay the same or go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 09:46 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I like certain REITs. Asset appreciation and the chance for a quarterly distribution.
What REIT's? The reason I don't own any right now is the absurd price/book ratios in excess of 2:1 which historically is off the charts.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:16 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,484,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Terrible advice as well as untrue. Total return is what matters more than anything else. Also dividends do get cut so they don't always get whatever is offerered. What good is a 3% dividend if the stock is down 30%?

With the reinvestment programs you are potentially growing a current tax liability only to get back money at the cost of appreciation and as pointed out above dividends don't always stay the same or go up.
People panic when the market takes a drop, and want to sell off everything. That is bad too, especially once it recovers. So I suggest NOT panicking and NOT watching the daily market price anxiously, and thusly making rash decisions.

GOOD dividend generating companies DON'T want to reduce dividends,but as I Noted, can/will of need be or the stock underperforms, or drops. They don't like to NOT give out dividends, as those companies take pride in a record of years of consistent dividends issued... and don't like to reduce dividends, but if need be, will....You apparently didn't comprehend what all I wrote.

SUre, total return is a concern, but the stock down now, can recover 410% over its "down 30%" today if held long for the dividends...I know we COULD have another 1929, but I doubt it will happen, and we've had several drops and recoveries and several "corrections" which have also recovered to look at historically.. IF there IS a total loss on stock price, it can be written off against any capital gains when sold....only the purchase and sold price matter....fluctuations over the time held WILL happen, as I said, IF the OP has the stomach for it, and doesn't panic when a "correction" or A "drop" happens, and pays attention to the dividends earned only against the price paid.

EVERYONE will point out drops but NO ONE points out GROWTH! I notice you spoke ONLY of a drop, NOT saying "gee, it's UP 54%!!!

I NEVER follow the daily price, it would only cause me angst, I follow my dividends and the new shares the DRIPs buy.

I will take a consistent dividend issuer over a rising stock that crashes greatly suddenly when it is no longer "relevant", and has never issued a dividend ever.

With DRIPS, one can also amasses more shares, i have had some split then doubling my shares, sure the stock price cut in half, but it has risen since to the price paid,so I grow that way too. True, not all stocks are going to split, and true ALL holders of the stock will get theirs 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 split too, some I have held for a longer period now and even if the bottom fell out, I would still be farther ahead than 1% in a savings account. Like my father says of his Fortune top 10 company stock, some purchased as far back as 1965, he says it has grown in value, split so much, that even if the price dropped to $1, he'd make out like a bandit.

And there will still be a meager tax liability on the interest earned in a CD on the $40k too, if one wants to go that route and get a lowly 1% return, which the OP does NOT want, hence the whole reason for this thread. True, if the OP is looking for "instant quick cash income" {which doesn't exist}, neither to stock market nor the 1% savings account will do. Even REal estate, even caught right in a merging growth market and sold right is RISKY.

It all depends on the OPs risk tolerance and ability to stomach anything of growth over the 1% in an online bank account. If the OP has no stomach or wnats instant results, perhaps the OP should jsut stick with the 1% account.

I will take my chances holding my dividend issuing stocks, and hold my DRIPs. I DO have a 1% account, but it is for emergencies.

have a great day

Old 03-07-2016, 06:35 AM

You typed all that and to sum it all up, total return is all that really matters, fwiw that would include the upside

Old 03-07-2016, 06:37 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
My savings at a brick and mortar is paying 1%.

Buy I also like the market.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:16 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
There are some classes of stock like public utilities where the dividend is pretty much guaranteed. You can also buy preferred stock with a guaranteed dividend though there isn't much of that out there compared to common stock. The problem with income stocks is that they get crushed in a rising interest rate environment just like long term bonds.

Over recent history, about half the total return on the S&P 500 has been dividends.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
There are some classes of stock like public utilities where the dividend is pretty much guaranteed. You can also buy preferred stock with a guaranteed dividend though there isn't much of that out there compared to common stock. The problem with income stocks is that they get crushed in a rising interest rate environment just like long term bonds.

What preffered stocks pay guarnanteed dividends?

Quote:
Over recent history, about half the total return on the S&P 500 has been dividends.

You do understand that the dividend distributed comes at a direct cost of less price appreciation right?

Old 03-07-2016, 11:08 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Some credit unions have pretty good interest on 5 year CDs with small penalties for early withdrawal. I got 2.1-2.3% from MACU last year on 4 CDs I bought (1 every 3 months), I think they are currently advertising 2.1%, and ICON was advertising 2.16% last week, I saw. Shop your local credit unions for rates and penalties, and watch for promotions. Mine have a 1 time bump up on the 2.3% ones if rates increase, and if I take the money out early, I only lose the latest 3 months worth of interest. Pretty good deal. At least it beats inflation.

I've been gradually moving a large portion of my emergency fund into laddered 5 year CDs, because sitting in a savings account, they are only earning .05%. I'm going to buy another one this week.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:00 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times
Open an etrade account and buy stocks or ETF's. You can buy and sell and withdraw your money in seconds and for about $10 a transaction.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:07 PM

581 posts, read 615,013 times
Vanguard or TD Ameritrade will both let you trade VG index ETF's commission free. I'd buy a handful of VG ETF's you are comfortable with. They can be easily sold like any stock and the money cashed out relatively painlessly in case of the need to make home repairs or get away on vacation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance