Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 02:45 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Well that's not realistic. First, I have a chronic medical condition which requires a considerable amount of clinic and doctor time - daytime weekdays. That pretty much limits my 9-5 weekday availability. I don't have a car or a license to drive one, which puts me somewhat at the mercy of transit schedules, which are not favorable to those working swing or graveyard shifts.

Even if I could get to work 24 hours a day, juggling two (or three!) jobs is difficult and risky; I once had two jobs and was able to successfully juggle schedules until both employers wanted me to work the same holiday shift, so I had to choose which job to keep and which job to lose.
Ok, but you fail to remember or read that I, TOO, was with chronic medical conditions, resulting in my being on SSDI!! I STILL found the time to work two full time and a part time job.
In fact, I had called in sick for a whole week at McD's, and the store, both were getting nervous. WHen I arrived at the ER, it was determined SURGERY was IMMEDIATELY needed...and I don't mean for a burst appendix.
When i got a hold of the Assistant MGR at McD's, when I said I was going in for surgery that night,, she said "oh wow, surgery, really?". I said "when I say I am sick, I MEAN I am sick!"...SHe said "I guess so!".....The store just said "bring in poof of your illness".
The bill in 1999? I JOKED to McD's manager that I'd be happy to present the $10K bill to her as proof...she laughed too. A week later the bill came {no insurance}...it was EXACTLY $10,000.02 !!! THEY HAD to get that last TWO CENTS in there!

AS for cars, I HAD a vehicle, a clunker that was unreliable....I had to hot wire the front fan under the hood, drive with the heat on full regardless of temperature,and put a qt of power steering fluid in A DAY, Put a pint of brake fluid in a DAY and so forth,,,it WAS easier to take the bus for longer distances.....so I DID maintain a bus pass.

AS far as both wanting me to work the same day, that never happened..as each KNEW I worked the other and I was such a good employee that THEY were ALWAYS considerate of, and ammenible to: scheduling, working hours, days, etc. I worked Mc Ds from 4am to 12:30pm, and the store from 2 to 10:30. I had 1.5 hours to get home, shower, changed eat and to the other job, which was 5 miles away. I often WALKED it when the vehicle or bus didn't work to my advantage. AND I definitely walked home at night, where I had a total of 5.5 hours off between the two jobs...TO SLEEP and get home,shower, and eat and to get to Mc Ds in the AM. IF I had time off from the cleaning company, i often picked up extra shifts at Mc Ds or the store. Christmas time at the store was a NIGHTMARE.

Oh, I forgot to tell you,,,I had no Drivers license in 1997, I worked to get it. I took the required courses at the driving school, took the road test through them and got my license. THEN I bought the clunker when I had the money.

I am NOT trying to one-up you, though it may seem so, I am merely trying to point out that "where there's a will, there's a way" and "one can overcome any obstacle if one applies oneself."..those are two quotes I never forgot.

Oh, and lest you think I got family help...well my family turned its back on me a few years earlier when, due to the medical reasons, I had to resort to welfare to get OUT of homelessness as when I WAS homeless, they would NOT let me live with them {my parents OR my only brother}---as---how DARE I be homeless and/or on welfare!!!!!! AND getting welfare was no picnic. I was MALE, single with nO KIDS and was denied 4 times. THe 5th time I stressed I WAS HOMELESS. I had to get someone to allow me to get mail at his house in order to qualify then, too. {and NO I could not live with him, I floated on other generous "friend's" couches-some who used me in the process} I ate only what the food pantries gave me. I had no means to cook certain things,and had a donated can opener I treasured!

Everything in the previous post WAS {beginning} more than just 15 years ago, as MOH {My Other Half-my spouse} and I didn't get together until the beginning of the year 2000, we are going on/at the 16 years mark now. We got married in 2002. I still worked hard for 5 years {2003-2008} to get us out of debt for BOTH of us {physically and strict budgeting}. I then worked on getting us some $$$ in the bank,and then saved for things like the house, as well as the 2005 vacation to Hawaii {can you say "honeymoon"?}, the 2003 vacation to Disney World, etc. We haven't done a major vacation in a while, at least not over 4 days away in a bordering state, as we had other financial goals, like the house.

Oh, And I have been on SSDI for 13 years now. MOH was at the fair hearing before the Administrative Law judge. He asked about me working...I said "Well, I have to eat"..he said "GOOD ANSWER"... I was approved based on the 7" thick worth of folders of medical records he had on me....and I had free legal representation as I qualified for that too.

ONLy when the store chain went out of business, and my SSDI approved, did I slow down to a single job with hours under the allowable limit of working and collecting. By then I switched to editing Law Journals for a small legal company. I could work at my own hours and pace. as Long as I met deadlines, It was OK.

ANYTHING you set your mind to, you CAN accomplish.....and I did.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 08:11 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Galaxhi, you are awesome, I commend you!

One of my favorite sayings is this:

"If you really want to do something, you will find a way to do it. If you really don't want to do something, you will find a way not to do it."

Old 03-20-2016, 02:50 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Galaxhi, you are awesome, I commend you!

One of my favorite sayings is this:

"If you really want to do something, you will find a way to do it. If you really don't want to do something, you will find a way not to do it."
Thanks, but I am nothing special....just a person who is willing to work hard for what he wants. And If I do I usually get it reasonably.

I believe and Know that when I give to/ask the universe for something, and am willing to use what I am given to work with, I CAN make things happen, or they will happen for me.

When I put positivity out to the universe, it usually rewards me with positivity, often when I least expect it, and when I need it most.

It's like charity..When I give back to what has been given to me, the gifts keep coming back to me, maybe it's a refund check I wasn't expecting, or a gift from my father, a raise, or a new job opportunity for {me or} MOH {My Other Half}.

If one puts negativity and lethargy out there, what do you think they will get back?

Exactly.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:12 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Let me rephrase that. My credit tanked 15 years ago. I could have filed bankruptcy at that time and since BK drops off your credit report after 10 years, I could have had good credit by now without paying one dime toward those debts. The judgments do not go away until they are satisfied (plus 7 years), unless the holder fails to renew it, which I have no reason to expect will happen.
I'm trying to do the math. You've been out of college for over 30 years, correct? So why were you still paying on a student loan 15 years after leaving college? Don't you usually have to pay that back in 10 years?

Old 03-20-2016, 03:13 PM

295 posts, read 337,802 times
have a roommate one night a week on airbnb.com you will make money. That will be four nights a month.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:18 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
To the OP,

-I would look at a bunch of small things. Bank fees? Over draft charges? Credit card over limit fees? Credit card interest?

There are a lot of things out there that are $10, $20 or $35 that can add up.

I don't think there is a need to go into a total panic. But look *hard*, *hard* at what you are spending every month. Every dollar and every cent. Ebay fees. Internet. The list can go on.

Eating out is a nice convenience. But instead of 10 times a month, or X, maybe X minus 2 or 3. Do something fun to replace it.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:39 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I'm trying to do the math. You've been out of college for over 30 years, correct? So why were you still paying on a student loan 15 years after leaving college? Don't you usually have to pay that back in 10 years?
Actually he defaulted at some point in the past, he's said so on other threads.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:10 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

Deferment + hardship forbearance + eventual default + garnishment with added fees greater than the principal I borrowed. The most I have ever earned in a year is $17K ($8.50/hr) and in only two years have I made more than $15K. Today, student loan borrowers do not need to keep applying for forbearance; income-driven repayment programs eliminate that hassle for those with income at or below 150% of poverty level.

Government loves student loan defaulters as long as they have income to garnish - it's the borrowers not in default who are getting a taxpayer bailout.

You should check out the math for student loan defaults - as long as the defaulting borrower has more than $750/month income, defaulters are very lucrative for Treasury.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:13 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlymike View Post
have a roommate one night a week on airbnb.com you will make money. That will be four nights a month.

GLARE

When you're renting a room from someone who lives in the same house, that is definitely not an option.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:47 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,339 times
Quote:
GLARE

When you're renting a room from someone who lives in the same house, that is definitely not an option.
Dude (I think), I was listening to a podcast on the sharing economy and totally thought of you (well a couple of posters here actually).

Some of you guys don't make much money, but can come up with some legit arguements, and this TaskRabbit thing seems right up your alley. A way to use your internet connection for production (cause CD is pretty much just leisure, good way to gain perspective outside your social circle, but no one is winning hearts or minds here, and the random $500/best post prizes are great, but that's just s drop in the bucket).

Check it out, I think you could rock it (a think a whole lot of people here could actually).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance