Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 01:57 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Except 1/2 of homeowners gain nothing because they can't clear the standard deduction.

They have to remember to that deduction they are figuring grows less and less each yearas the mortgage gets paid down and the mortgage payment more and more are your costs.

It is always better to figure things without the deductions. Trip the amt tax and real estate tax deductions are out.
Yes.

Of the 13 years we've owned a home, we've benefited maybe 3 years. The whiners on this board think homeowners just get buckets of cash back in April. NOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 02:04 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
It isn't much of a benefit when you have to spend 4 bucks to win a prize worth 1 dollar over and above the price of the house

Old 03-20-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
It isn't much of a benefit when you have to spend 4 bucks to win a prize worth 1 dollar over and above the price of the house
Yup.

So few people here know what "write-off" really means.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:38 PM

577 posts, read 1,001,246 times
I would prefer that the mortgage interest deduction be phased out rather than trying to equalize things with a renter deduction (even though I would benefit from it). I fundamentally disagree with the MID, but it doesn't mean adding another deduction is the right path. I would prefer that they keep things simple, so that the conversation is merely about overall tax rates, not who gets special deductions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I have to disagree with you.

The intent of the bill is to PURCHASE VOTES and SOLICIT CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS. The bill has zero chance of becoming law, but will be used to generate campaign contributions and will be used as fodder leading up to the election. "Vote for ME; I am fighting for renters!"

The author of the bill is from Florida's 9th congressional district. That district, after the redistricting a few years ago, is now over 45% Hispanic, few college graduates, and with a median income of $41,564. Sounds to me like a demographic that would appreciate the bill.
Agreed, just like they pander to current homeowners with the Mortgage Interest Deduction. Another reason to not enact another deduction, and eliminate the current MID.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:09 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Except 1/2 of homeowners gain nothing because they can't clear the standard deduction.

They have to remember to that deduction they are figuring grows less and less each yearas the mortgage gets paid down and the mortgage payment more and more are your costs.

It is always better to figure things without the deductions. Trip the amt tax and real estate tax deductions are out.
Is it really that high? State taxes alone for me are higher than the standard deduction, given CA is a higher tax state. I'm not real high income, 30% percentile maybe for household income. Given a lot of households are either HH or married rather than single but still. I mean I don't donate a whole lot compared with a religious household who tithed. No idea how many of them really tithe so maybe 3-5% I tend to donate is actually more.

Last edited by Malloric; 03-20-2016 at 05:21 PM..

Old 03-20-2016, 05:28 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
There is zero chance a year's entire rent payment will be fully deductible in any legislation that has a rat's ass chance of passing.

When I lived and rented in Mass., we had a small deduction/allowance IIRC that really just added a few $$ to my state refund...but I suspect it was intended to cross-check the landlord's taxes to see if they reported rental income.
Well, I agree but that's what the article was talking about. $18,000 in rent, 25% marginal tax bracket, $4,500 deduction on their taxes. I agree it would never pass but that's what it was talking about.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Well, I agree but that's what the article was talking about. $18,000 in rent, 25% marginal tax bracket, $4,500 deduction on their taxes. I agree it would never pass but that's what it was talking about.
Yeah, I saw that...I was just commenting how many of the commenters here seemed to think the whole rent payment would be deductible and/or that owners somehow deduct all PITI from their income.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:02 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Is it really that high? State taxes alone for me are higher than the standard deduction, given CA is a higher tax state. I'm not real high income, 30% percentile maybe for household income. Given a lot of households are either HH or married rather than single but still. I mean I don't donate a whole lot compared with a religious household who tithed. No idea how many of them really tithe so maybe 3-5% I tend to donate is actually more.
yes it is very high . the reason is being able to itemize increases with income and until you get in to the higher incomes not many itemize . those income levels are much higher then the average homeowners income .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance