Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 05:44 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Maybe I just didn't want YOUR opinion. Ever thought of that? There is no need to be rude, ill mannered and pushy.

Thanks to everyone else for the info. It's still worrisome, given the feel of that bank downtown (could always try another one I guess). I'm still wondering why they are offering this sort of deal, knowing full well that a lot of people are just going to hop in for the cash, then hop out?
They are hoping that you will stay as a customer. It is a big pain to change banks. Inertia keeps a lot of customers right where they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 05:54 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Most bank complaints are by people with bad credit over bank charges for bounced checks, late credit card payments, and foreclosed mortgages. Sure, anybody can have the bad luck to run into corporate bureaucracy designed to deal with deadbeats but that's the exception.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:04 PM

23,533 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Been a customer since 2009. Was with Wells Fargo prior to that for 18 years, but dropped them like a rock after they failed to call me back after I requested service on a CD.

My story about the unethical behavior of Chase. My wife was transferring 50K from a foreign bank account and paid $25 in fees to the foreign bank to have the funds wired to our Chase account.

When we received the funds, the deposit was $49,900 ($100 short). We called Chase and they claimed receipt of $49,900 from the foreign bank. We called the foreign bank and they proved to us that $50K was wired over to Chase. I stormed into my local Chase branch and spoke with the branch manager and demanded my $100 back. He was very embarrassed about it and immediately credited our account. Crooks!

Old 03-26-2016, 04:38 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Their CC are the best at the moment- not even close. Not sure if I get better service b/c I have the Sapphire Preferred card or not, but I've been very happy with them.
Chase Freedom card is very good (now). Besides the regular 1%, it offers 5% bonuses in a different select categories (e.g. gas, grocery, restaurant, home centers, etc) every quarter. The Amazon card (managed by Chase) is very good if use Amazon, and good even if not. The point is ccs are very complex these days and a blanket statement of which one is best, isn't easy. It depends on what/how you use ccs. this is one site with some insight

Best Credit Cards of 2016: Reviews, Rewards and Offers

Bottom line is that Chase's cards are varied and pretty competitive if not 'best' depending on your criteria. Their Internet, phone, and anti fraud service is excellent (for me anyway) ...as would be expected from one of the big modern banks.

My guess is that other banking services and fees...mortgage, loans, checking, investment, are similarly competitive and customers measure their goodness depending on which most matter to them. You can/should use multiple banks and investment companies (think Vanguard, Fidelity, etc.) or mortgage companies depending on what matters to you...and yes Credit Unions are great too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Chase is a big bank so you don't get personalized service. Tellers have always been polite. Chase never made mistakes with my accounts. I had a mortgage with no problems.

I closed my accounts because Chase raised fees and I get cheaper banking with more personalized service at the credit unions I bank with. I didn't leave them because I had problems with them. ( when I paid off my mortgage, I no longer got free checking )
Funny, I've found that the 'personal' service can be at any (parent) bank. To me it depends more on the size, location, people, and number of tellers in the specific branch, who you are and how you act, and how often you frequent it. I've had many banks over the years. All changed from one parent bank to another during the heyday of bank consolidation...often the tellers stayed the same.

One bank I currently use is a local Wells Fargo...small town branch, a few tellers. It has changed parent banks multiple times over the years. It's as 'personal' to me (not sure what that means to others) as it ever was...despite the fact I may walk in there 5-10 times a year (if that). Whenever I do, I'm satisfied with the service by teller or officer.

IMO, bigger banks' automation, security, efficiencies etc are better than ever. Tech has its benefits. In fact 98.74% of my transactions, questions, disputes, etc. have moved to the Internet and ATM anyway. The poor tellers and managers struggle to remain employed and relevant (yes, sometimes here the 'corporate' tone and influence is apparent...sadly so, sometimes).

A lot of this is the 'evolution' of the old neighborhood grocery, gas station, or pharmacy to today's corporate large mega business...and BTW, in many respects this is sad. No way it will return to a different model anytime soon. It's 'progress' and modernization fueled by technology.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:13 PM

37 posts, read 36,287 times
13 yr with them, aside from some cocky kids in the local branch, everything has been top notch.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:48 PM

17,582 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Their CC are the best at the moment- not even close. Not sure if I get better service b/c I have the Sapphire Preferred card or not, but I've been very happy with them.
I'll take that challenge.

9.15% (Prime + 5.65%)
No annual Fee
5% cash back on all gas purchases
No Penalty APR
3% Balance Transfer and Cash Advance ($75 max)
1% Foreign Transaction fee
1% cash back on all non-gas purchases

that's what I have through USAA. And their banking products, you don't have to be military or dependent, as you do with the insurance products.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:52 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'll take that challenge.

9.15% (Prime + 5.65%)
No annual Fee
5% cash back on all gas purchases
No Penalty APR
3% Balance Transfer and Cash Advance ($75 max)
1% Foreign Transaction fee
1% cash back on all non-gas purchases

that's what I have through USAA. And their banking products, you don't have to be military or dependent, as you do with the insurance products.

What challange are you taking? I don't know what the interest rates are on my credit cards because I don't pay interrst. Usaa lags in the rewards game that I know as a member

Old 03-26-2016, 11:57 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,172 times
I think it is better than Capital One, and Bank of America.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:21 AM

17,582 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
What challange are you taking? I don't know what the interest rates are on my credit cards because I don't pay interrst. Usaa lags in the rewards game that I know as a member
I haven't paid interest in 2 years.. But, I like knowing that if something happens and I *DO* have to carry a balance.. It's low. The best interest rate i've seen outside of USAA is in the 14% range..

rewards are whatever is best for you.. That 5% on gas brings me several hundred a year. some people might be all a-gaga over an airline card that earns them points.. Personally.. I look at it that rather than giving me airline funny money or 'points' that can be spent.. I prefer the cold, hard cash back. I could do a whole lot better playing the game if I put every single thing I bought on the card.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:24 AM

275 posts, read 252,492 times
I have never banked with them. The reason I am posting? Because once, a while ago, I actually tried to open an account with them. I went through the process, etc. And then all of a sudden I was unable to access the money and the account was closed. After being foisted around, I was finally told that my accounts had been closed because "my email was associated with loss to the bank".

Say what? I am still not sure what that actually means, and the kicker is that they wouldn't tell me what "loss" had supposedly happened. To this day, I am wondering where the heck my info got linked to someone else...they most certainly weren't interesting in assisting me with figuring it out.

Ironically? I have a Chase Freedom card now...so I guess they are over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance