Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 01:40 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
It sort of really depends on how much money you spend a year through a CC. If you spend $10,000 and you get back $100 then I would say that is kind of a waster of time. I really think 1% is a waste IMO. I have to spend 100K to get back 1K...yeah not worth my time.

Honestly I dont really like these big banks that issue these cards to anyone. I really don't want to support them for 1% cash back.

So, what would it take for you to be interested?

I just love "modern" society where folks scoff at a thousand bucks (granted there are much better deals than 1% cash back).

I watch every penny.....avail myself of every opportunity to increase income when it costs me virtually nothing.....how long does it take to sign your name to a CC app?

And, you know what, it all adds up. First thing you know you have an extra $10,000...just by being prudent. Simple example: Grocery store points for using the "good customer" card, or whatever they call it. I buy the groceries anyhow, and shop smartly. Every month I get at least 500 "points", which means $.50 at the gas pump. For more than a year, I haven't paid above $1.00 a gallon for gas. That is a very nice savings, which "cost" me five minutes at the service counter in the store to sign my name and address.

That is how you accumulate savings. A dollar here, ten over there. It all adds up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 05:16 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

I just love "modern" society where folks scoff at a thousand bucks (granted there are much better deals than 1% cash back).

I watch every penny.....avail myself of every opportunity to increase income when it costs me virtually nothing.....how long does it take to sign your name to a CC app?

And, you know what, it all adds up. First thing you know you have an extra $10,000...just by being prudent. Simple example: Grocery store points for using the "good customer" card, or whatever they call it. I buy the groceries anyhow, and shop smartly. Every month I get at least 500 "points", which means $.50 at the gas pump. For more than a year, I haven't paid above $1.00 a gallon for gas. That is a very nice savings, which "cost" me five minutes at the service counter in the store to sign my name and address.

That is how you accumulate savings. A dollar here, ten over there. It all adds up.
That is fine...I am not mad at people that do this. Ii think its great if you can make 1000s from it.
I personally just don't want to participate. I am allowed. Stupid or not.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:20 PM

151 posts, read 195,338 times
People who claim multiple airline tickets w points- GREAT-be happy.

Others need to understand this is evil RICH @ work. Spend a lot get yr prize-no harm in that. But is it wise 4 a evil rich man to spend time on piddly air tickets.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:22 PM

151 posts, read 195,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

A dollar here a dollar there adds up if you are POOR................hahahaha. The trick is not to be poor so you can enjoy LIFE, not worry about points.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:35 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Here's a copy/paste from my Citibank DoubleCash card web page:

Cash rewards you've earned since being a Citi cardmember: $1,156.73

I got that card on October 25, 2014 so I'm averaging about $800/year. At some point, my employer is going to make me get a company card and use that for all my business expenses. Until that happens, I'm happy to put the 2% cash back money in my pocket. My April expense report will have a Europe business trip and a laptop on it.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:14 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaWeenie View Post

Others need to understand this is evil RICH @ work. Spend a lot get yr prize-no harm in that. But is it wise 4 a evil rich man to spend time on piddly air tickets.

Bizarre thought processes.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:29 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:

Quote:
A dollar here a dollar there adds up if you are POOR................hahahaha. The trick is not to be poor so you can enjoy LIFE, not worry about points.

A dollar here and there adds up if you are poor or rich. Also getting paid to do something you already are doing isnt worrying about points rather it's getting something that's out there for you sometimes at no cost

Old 04-01-2016, 09:10 AM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
A dollar here and there adds up if you are poor or rich. Also getting paid to do something you already are doing isnt worrying about points rather it's getting something that's out there for you sometimes at no cost
Yes, there's no downside to using a 2% cash back card like the Citi Double Cash. No annual fee, get 2% back on every purchase - what's there to worry about?

Now using airline and hotel points effectively can indeed be a bit of work, but getting cash back is about as simple and painless as things get. Really, the only reason not to use a cash-back card is if the person doesn't use credit cards at all or can't qualify for one.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:38 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
They're worth it if you know how to play the Game and Limit the Stress while doing it.

1 - Always Pay in Full, otherwise Interest will eat the Value of the points and then some.

2 - Limit the amount of cards you use in Rotation. I find you get better Reward/Cash Back building when you use a Single "Everyday Card" with Unlimited Rewards Potential vs Rotating Category Cards with Limits.

Too many people are too greedy trying to rotate too many cards to maximize 5% Categories w/Limits and I find that method is NOT Sustainable. It A) Becomes exhausting having to manage so many cards. B) You really do dilute maximization because your rewards are spread thinner the more cards you have in Rotation. When you do this, Yes, Rewards, Point, Cash Back seems like a Scam.

I have One "Everyday Card", The Quicksilver its only 1.5, but hey that 1.5 Builds up fast as hell when I throw everything on it and I can see the value rising quickly every month. I cash out my Cash-Back at the end of the year as a Reward to myself and on this single 1.5% Card, I gain about ~500$ in Cash Back.

This is more rewarding and less hassle approach for me, than trying to Maximize 5% Category cards with Spending Limits.

I have another Quick Silver that use just for my Auto Bill Pays .. I send every bill possible to this card. This one garners me another 200-300$ a year in Cashback. I don't really need this card, but I like to keep my bills separate from my Everyday Card for my own budgeting purposes.

3rd and last I have an Amazon Visa, that I use strictly on Amazon for point, and nothing else. I shop so much on Amazon that the 3% actually adds up nicely with just Amazon spending.

These 3 Cards are the only three that see Regular monthly/daily use. And I only carry my Everyday Card in my Wallet along with my Debit Card. No need to carry the others. Being this simplistic is very Rewarding to me.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:26 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:

You either let the evil rich have 100% of your money, or you let them have 97%-99% and take the rest back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance