Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 08:34 PM

26,148 posts, read 21,376,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
As I stated, it depends on the model. Just reporting the stats I've seen. It's common knowledge that some or many BMWs are "performance" vehicles. "Performance" by definition means persnickety and prone to breaking down. Performance comes at a cost.

If you subscribe to Consumer Reports, you can look up the stats for any model in particular, and see the history of repairs noted by prior owners for each year, the repairs categorized (electrical, fuel system, etc.).

Then when they do break down, they are pricey, if they are of the higher end, which is normal for high end or luxury cars. Lexus is pricey to repair, too...but they don't break down much. A brand that is one of the most reliable in the auto industry.

The maintenance is covered by bmw for the first 3 years or 36k miles so tell me again how expensive it is again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 08:56 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,496,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The maintenance is covered by bmw for the first 3 years or 36k miles so tell me again how expensive it is again?
Maintenance on a normal car for the first 3 years is negligible. $500 maybe? If that. An oil change once a year, a regular maintenance once (rotate tires, check fluids). I spent far less than $500, since I have a Honda Fit. Nothing should go wrong in the first three years.

Reliability relates to long term use. After the warranty expires...usually after four or five years.

I'm not giving my opinion. If you're interested in facts, you can look them up. Not on a site that sells advertising to cars, of course.

The most reliable brands are Toyota/Subaru/Lexus, and Honda/Acura. I forget what's third.

I don't mean to offend. That's just the truth. Not that there's not a reliable BMW model. There probably is. Just as there are not so reliable models of Toyota and Honda. I'm speaking generally. BMW owners generally don't care about reliability. They trade 'em in every few years, or don't mind paying for the repairs (they're wealthy). They care about performance.

I looked up M2. It seems it's a new model, so there's no reliability history. You have to go by brand reliability (BMW is not a top reliability brand, and it is not INTENDED to be). But there are clues in how a company markets a model. Here's what JD Powers says about the M2:

Quote:
The 2016 BMW M2, based on a 2 Series small premium car, is an M Performance model that features sleek exterior and interior design. Powered by the new twin-turbocharged, 3.0-liter straight 6-cylinder engine that produces 365 horsepower and 343 lb.-ft. of torque when mated with a 6-speed automatic, the M2 is available with an optional dual manual clutch transmission. The M2 moves from 0-60 mph in just 4.2 seconds, according to BMW, and is equipped with ConnectedDrive with collision and pedestrian warning systems, lane-departure alert, and park distance control. It will go on sale in April. Pricing for the new M2 was revealed during the Detroit Auto Show: $52,695 (including destination charge).
Notice the clue words. Also notice there's not a word about "comfort" or "reliability" or "years of reliable comfort." It's NOT a car that is intended to be reliable or comfortable. It's a "performance" car. Which is fine. If BMW wanted it to be a reliable car, it would have made it so.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:23 PM

26,148 posts, read 21,376,020 times
Quote:
Maintenance on a normal car for the first 3 years is negligible. $500 maybe? If that. An oil change once a year, a regular maintenance once (rotate tires, check fluids). I spent far less than $500, since I have a Honda Fit. Nothing should go wrong in the first three years.

Reliability relates to long term use. After the warranty expires...usually after four or five years.

I'm not giving my opinion. If you're interested in facts, you can look them up. Not on a site that sells advertising to cars, of course.

The most reliable brands are Toyota/Subaru/Lexus, and Honda/Acura. I forget what's third.

I don't mean to offend. That's just the truth. Not that there's not a reliable BMW model. There probably is. Just as there are not so reliable models of Toyota and Honda. I'm speaking generally. BMW owners generally don't care about reliability. They trade 'em in every few years, or don't mind paying for the repairs (they're wealthy). They care about performance.

I looked up M2. It seems it's a new model, so there's no reliability history. You have to go by brand reliability (BMW is not a top reliability brand, and it is not INTENDED to be). But there are clues in how a company markets a model. Here's what JD Powers says about the M2:

Notice the clue words. Also notice there's not a word about "comfort" or "reliability" or "years of reliable comfort." It's NOT a car that is intended to be reliable or comfortable. It's a "performance" car. Which is fine. If BMW wanted it to be a reliable car, it would have made it so.

Your initial incorrect comments about maintence didn't discuss timeframes. You weren't giving facts or opinions rather an incorrect blanket statement

Old 04-08-2016, 10:44 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,098,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plot View Post
In general I think 50k - 100k cars are more marketed towards upper-middle class (ideally people of 45+ years of age) like engineers, lawyers, doctors, successful small business owners, finance, marketing etc.
Can you explain the bolded? Why is there an "ideal age" for buying a certain car?

Old 04-09-2016, 01:36 AM

139 posts, read 191,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Can you explain the bolded? Why is there an "ideal age" for buying a certain car?
I ment that those cars are often marketed towards 45+ year old people who hold professional careers. Its the ideal audience they want to market to.

This is the ideal group because they are most likely to have money ,be qualified for loans, and have an established life versus a fresh college graduate.

This is the perspective of the company, age is not something a consumer uses to determine a purchase.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:48 AM

105,740 posts, read 107,736,740 times
Quote:

brakes , minor services the first 4 years , etc all can run big dollars at the stealership .

i know on my jeep the services run a lot at certain intervals because you have expensive 4 wheel drive services . one service can hit 700-800 bucks on the jeep .

last one had a 4 wheel drive service , tranny fluid change , air filter , oil change and injector cleaning and rear brakes at 36k, tire rotation , and a few other things done . that approached 750.00.

except for brakes and wipers my bmw's really did not need much . bmw does not believe in tire rotations . most of the big services come after the warranty period which i think was 4 years if i remember not 3 .

as far as reliability i had 3 and all 3 were trouble free . i would buy one again in a heart beat if it wasn't for the ticket issues i had . a car like that was not meant to drive slow and i can't so i am best avoiding them .

Old 04-09-2016, 08:08 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,098,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plot View Post
I ment that those cars are often marketed towards 45+ year old people who hold professional careers. Its the ideal audience they want to market to.

This is the ideal group because they are most likely to have money ,be qualified for loans, and have an established life versus a fresh college graduate.

This is the perspective of the company, age is not something a consumer uses to determine a purchase.
Ahh, that makes sense. I was thrown by the parenthesis (like an aside )

Thank you for answering my question!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance