Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 04:31 PM

106,592 posts, read 108,739,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOIGUY View Post
Quite.

All the people I know with 1-2M+ figure networth drive some form of luxury car under 100k (BMW/mercedes/lexus/audi/etc).

The ones I know with 8 figure net worth drive Panameras, Jags, Bentleys, Ranges etc.
i traded in my bmw for a jeep sahara . i enjoy the wrangler so much more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 04:33 PM

493 posts, read 442,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
People with real high net worth don't buy expensive cars.

People that have a high unjustifiable feeling of worth buy expensive cars.
True. This is why I post the question to begin with. By definition, I am high net worth, but I've been driving normal cars since 18. So, this is why I'm entertaining the idea of owning a cool car one day. Just day dreaming.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
The reply that comes to mind is the one-liner about how much [insert luxury here] costs. "If you have to ask..."
Not true in my case. I can afford it, pay cash even.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
There is also a book "The Millionaire Next Door" that was published about 20 years ago that discovered the same thing.

The biggest live lesson I have ever learned is that things are never as they appear you need to dig deeper.

I read "The Millionaire Next Door" also. I live by it. It's just that I am at the point where I'm quite a bit ahead of the game (for my age early 40's) and have a little desire to own something nice (like a BMW M car). My childhood dream car is a BMW M3. I am not saying I NEED it, I am just entertaining the idea of "WHAT IF" I buy one without affecting other priorities in life (ie 401k, 529, Roth IRA, mortgage). Will the numbers work out for me if I have say over 1.5MM networth.. etc.. that's all.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
...however at some point it becomes a drop in the bucket for those with hefty seven figure NW and a nice passive income stream.

Agree 100%. I am above 1MM but definitely not 3-5MM rich. If I'm, I'll be paying cash for the M2 already. Hence, the discussion here.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:49 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
One of the traits of rich people is not putting resources into any asset that loses money. All of the truly rich people I know drive older Chevy's, and pickup trucks. Another trait of rich people is to not attract attention by wearing expensive watches or jewelry.
I think this is the fairy tale that "ordinary" people tell themselves as they are living on a shoestring in order to make saving 50%+ of their income more palatable. Yes, it is certainly prudent to drive used cars into the ground...but seriously, only an EXTREMELY eccentric multimillionnaire would live that way. Or, someone leveraged to the hilt with no liquidity.

If I had a few mill you can bet I'd buy a $50k sports car...and probably drive it until it died just because I'd love it so much - I'd buy it because the sheer enjoyment outweighed the cost. And I wouldn't let any Calvinistic "thou shalt not spend a penny on yourself" philosophy stop me.

Until then, I'll make do. But let's not delude ourselves that the huge luxury market out there is only fueled by lower or middle class people over-spending...it's well-to-do people enjoying their wealth. I'll take the middle-road and enjoy a few things while dutifully saving the rest.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:52 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiishrimp View Post
In your opinion, how much net worth to afford a BMW M2 comfortably?
Trick question. Most wealthy people don't drive this type of car. This is a status car driven by people with lots of debt, not high net worth.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:58 PM

234 posts, read 202,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i traded in my bmw for a jeep sahara . i enjoy the wrangler so much more
wtf don't you live in NYC? If you were in Boulder or Taos I would understand...

What does your wife drive?

Old 04-07-2016, 04:59 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I think this is the fairy tale that "ordinary" people tell themselves as they are living on a shoestring in order to make saving 50%+ of their income more palatable.
Sorry, but real studies of real millionaires say otherwise. Think about it. How does one amass a lot of money? Not by spending it on cars that depreciate their value over time.

The "huge" luxury market you speak of is probably smaller than you think and it fueled by hyperspenders that have high incomes. Think physicians, lawyers, stockbrokers, and bankers. These people tend to spend what they make and have low net worth relative to their incomes. That's who drives these cars. Not real millionaires.

If you are curious, read The Millionaire Next Door. I am listening to the audiobook again. Saving and being wealthy are not fairy tales people tell themselves. It's the way wealth is built. One dollar at a time.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:00 PM

106,592 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOIGUY View Post
wtf don't you live in NYC? If you were in Boulder...

What does your wife drive?
we take it hunting and fishing all over as well as take trips in snow country all the time . now that we are retired my wife does not need a car so all we have is the sahara .

i got to many tickets with my bmw's . there really is not much to do with them but speed .

on the other hand we make good use of the jeep and it is the 4 door so we can take the grand kids all over

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance