Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 08:37 PM

86 posts, read 89,830 times

Advertisements

I have a $16,000ish personal student loan with a 9% interest rate. It was 8.75 and they increased it for no reason. My credit score is a little over 700 so I know that wasn't the issue. Is it possible to refinance to get a lower interest rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 08:55 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Sure. There are tons of places that will refinance for you, like SoFi.

AFAIK, SoFi doesn't even use credit scores. They look at other things like degree, income, etc to determine job stability and how likely you are to be able to repay, and they only lend to low risk borrowers. You can find more traditional lenders as well.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:14 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,992 times
I was going to refinance. I owe around $25k total with $14k of that being 6.5% the rest is closer to 4.5% average. Being its tax deductible its probably more like 5% and 3.5%.. My loans are Federal, which means I can put them in deferment for like 2 years if I ever had to. If I refinanced that option would go away. I'm on a rather fast repayment plan so my minimums are $400 a month.. To me it wasn't worth lowering my loans even 1% to lose the options of freezing payment if life ever decided to throw me a curve ball.

Your rates are pretty high so I def think it would be worth looking into a refinance option and stretching out the repayment plan. If you can get them down to like 4% just take the longest repayment option to keep the monthly payments low. You can always pay more toward the loan to pay them off faster. If you ever land in hot water you wont have a big student loan payment to worry about, saving a few percentage points and paying the loan off early really saves a very minimal amount that just isn't worth it in my opinion.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:24 PM

86 posts, read 89,830 times
Thanks for the input. I looked at the credit union we used for our vehicle and they have good rates for student loan refi as well. I will probably go that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance