Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 05:07 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times

Advertisements

I have Netflix streaming and DVD (I don't have cable), but I've been thinking about dropping the streaming, because I rarely find anything I want to watch on there.

I use the DVD service heavily, for fairly recent movies and for older TV series. I like to watch old TV series multiple times from start to finish, for example I recently watched "The Wire" again on DVD for about the fifth time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 09:55 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,823 times
That's still nowhere near what it would cost someone a month who subscribes to cable tv.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:56 PM

111 posts, read 118,972 times
Especially since those cable TVs are changing names.

What I want to know is...if Netflix will be an all streaming system now. After all, they did kind of completely replace the going-into-video-store-on-Friday-night experience. And with more benefits. Even so, customer service is only just a phone call away...no email or chat set up though. Furthermore, I hope they don't also get rid of the lesser priced DVD plans, even though they're just increasing the one-at-a-time DVD plan. I wish Amazon had a system like Netflix, especially since they're building warehouses in local communities...much faster for movie shipment. Still, it beats going to the Redbox because they just have new rentals.

Still, it's nothing like going into a movie store. And still, I think Amazon could even compete with Netflix...with wanting older movies, and adding movies to a shopping cart to buy. But, with more watching movies on Smartphones, which doesn't beat watching on a full size...and these days, flat screen TV, I think only streaming will eventually become the existence. I hope not, because video stores themselves have become obsolete.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:30 AM

354 posts, read 281,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmsmb View Post
Especially since those cable TVs are changing names.

What I want to know is...if Netflix will be an all streaming system now. After all, they did kind of completely replace the going-into-video-store-on-Friday-night experience. And with more benefits.
I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like what's really holding Netflix back is Hollywood and their whims like geo restrictions. I don't think there's any technical reason why Netflix couldn't stream almost every movie and TV show worldwide for about $20 a month. Hollywood's legal restrictions are why it is what it is currently. If Hollywood really wanted people to stop pirating they'd put everything on Netflix streaming, most would be happy to pay $20 - 30 a month to stream any movie legally.

It's not legal to use, but if you ever look at Popcorn Time it's basically what Netflix could be, and could legally be, if Hollywood ever wakes up and realizes it's not the 90s anymore.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:20 PM

111 posts, read 118,972 times
Sort of like Hulu streaming. Well, I think Netflix does have a streaming system too which can be combined. I think I remember having that too. I could have the option to also have DVDs by mail and streaming. There's also a lower priced plan but get a few movies a month. I think eventually more plans will increase or be done away with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance