Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2016, 07:16 AM

363 posts, read 433,079 times

Advertisements

My friend had a bad credit and he's working on making it better. He saw on his report that there's a mortgage and a car loan under his name even though he hasn't bought a car on his credit card or a home, and he's never co-sign anyone. I am wondering what can he do to determine if someone used his credit and if someone indeed did steal his credit, what can he do? I have an excellent credit score and I am not sure how these things are handled, and got me worried in case it happens to me.

Last edited by ialwayswin001; 04-15-2016 at 07:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 07:46 AM

6,625 posts, read 7,334,922 times
It is not uncommon for mistakes to be made on credit reports. He can write to the 3 major credit co's and explain that the items are not his and ask that they be removed. Give as much detail as you can to support your position. You can also do this on line.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:55 AM

22 posts, read 21,723 times
Your friend should also consider locking up his credit with the credit bureaus. My daughter did that when someone used her identity to file false tax return. So, when that someone tried to open a credit card under her name a few months later, the bank called her to verify and the attempt was caught and aborted.

I have to say that the gathering, maintaining and releasing of personal credit information should belong to a federal government agency and should be done as a public service, not owned and run by private companies who make large profit from selling these private data. If you ever have question/concerns about your credit report or if errors are found in your credit report, it is nearly impossible to get them corrected or obtain further information. In addition, all 3 credit bureaus keep their own database; so there are 3 versions of your credits out there. Personal credit data should belong to the individual citizens and should not be sold for profits without their consent, especially when the data include errors.

For example, in the process of verifying my identify, I am often asked about a person who I know little about. This is all because I let a friend's friend use our home address for her important mails when she lived abroad for a year. Now, in order to confirm my own identity, I am required to know every aspect of a stranger's life. This entire system is so warped!!! This is yet another example where the government outsources its key responsibilities to large predatory companies who make huge profits from average citizens! This is yet another example our politicians sell out our interests to the large cooporations and interest groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance